PDA

View Full Version : Sox schedule update


Jerry_Manuel
10-21-2003, 06:59 AM
Suntimes has a little blurb about it.

White Sox will open 2004 season in K.C. (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox211.html)

Hokiesox
10-21-2003, 07:55 AM
IF this is true, I like getting the Twins at home to finish that season series. This way, if they choke again, we can throw **** at them.

Chisox_cali
10-21-2003, 08:40 AM
Wow, a possible 4th of July game against the Cubs at the Cell. That would be awesome.

FJA
10-21-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Wow, a possible 4th of July game against the Cubs at the Cell. That would be awesome.

Good lord, that might cause more problems than a night game.

That's not to say I don't agree it would be absolutely awesome. :D:

ChiSox14305635
10-21-2003, 11:07 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the last time the Sox opened up the season at home was the final year at Old Comiskey in 1990. And I can't recall the last time they closed out the season at home. It seems like, just as the Reds always open up at home, the Sox open on the road. Is this the decision of the Sox, or MLB?

Hangar18
10-21-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
If I'm not mistaken, the last time the Sox opened up the season at home was the final year at Old Comiskey in 1990. And I can't recall the last time they closed out the season at home. It seems like, just as the Reds always open up at home, the Sox open on the road. Is this the decision of the Sox, or MLB?

SOX open on the Road, per their Request. Its always COLD
here, and they wanted to OPEN at warm weather cities.

TDog
10-21-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
SOX open on the Road, per their Request. Its always COLD
here, and they wanted to OPEN at warm weather cities.

They got such beautiful weather for their home-opening series against the Tigers this year.

washington
10-21-2003, 11:47 AM
I wouldn't mind if they spent the first 3 or 4 weeks of the season on the road, some of the coldest days of my life have been in April at Sox games.

Foulke You
10-21-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by washington
I wouldn't mind if they spent the first 3 or 4 weeks of the season on the road, some of the coldest days of my life have been in April at Sox games.

Last year's Opening Day was miserable. 2 hour rain delay and then 40 degree temperatures at game time. I think I drank about 5 of those Hot Chocolates they sell. Absolutely nasty. April night games at Comiskey can be even colder especially if that wind is gusting off the lake.

July 4th Sox/Cubs game would be a blast. I wonder if it would be a night game or a day game? It could get picked up by ESPN and put in prime time. Perhaps a post game Independance Day fireworks show to dazzle the sellout crowd? I know I'll be putting that game on my Sox 7 game order form.

TDog
10-21-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Last year's Opening Day was miserable. 2 hour rain delay and then 40 degree temperatures at game time. I think I drank about 5 of those Hot Chocolates they sell. ...

For a total of 8 fluid ounces.

cheeses_h_rice
10-21-2003, 12:16 PM
The Sox likely will host two interleague series against three potential teams: the Phillies, Braves and Marlins.

So not only do the Sox host the Flubs, they have a chance to host 2 of the 3 other NL teams that made it to the postseason.

Great!

Let me guess: the Twins get to take on the Mets and the Padres, right?

doublem23
10-21-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
So not only do the Sox host the Flubs, they have a chance to host 2 of the 3 other NL teams that made it to the postseason.

Great!

Let me guess: the Twins get to take on the Mets and the Padres, right?

No, no... The Padres are too-up-and-coming, they get Pittsburgh.

Hangar18
10-21-2003, 12:38 PM
That Story IS STUPID. It says the SOX will play at Marlins,
then says they will Host the Marlins

xil357
10-21-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by washington
I wouldn't mind if they spent the first 3 or 4 weeks of the season on the road, some of the coldest days of my life have been in April at Sox games.

I too would like to see this, because it means that there would be more home games than road games for the rest of the season. A couple of three-week homestands in June and July would be great, even if it meant an opening day at the Cell on April 30.

MLB could do it if they wanted to, because teams like the Rangers ought not to be playing at home very much in July and August. They ought to schedule all April games in warm weather cities and/or domes, and they ought to consolidate road trips so that they are longer but less frequent. (15 to 18 game trips to one coast at a time rather than a nine game trip with no off days to Detroit, Anaheim and Boston, or Toronto, Seattle and Tampa Bay, for example. Visit Seattle, Oakland, Anaheim and Texas in one fell swoop!) This would help the teams on the coasts as much as the teams in the Midwest and South.

And for goodness sakes, MLB, play a full schedule on Memorial Day and Labor Day Mondays! And make the Thursday after the All-Star game an off-day, too, so every team can re-set their rotation and allow the All Stars an extra day of rest and to travel!

Better yet, let me make the friggin schedule!

santo=dorf
10-21-2003, 02:36 PM
Let me guess: the Twins get to take on the Mets and the Padres, right?
Doesn't MLB consider the Twins and Brewers rivals? Don't they play each other at least three times a year?

ewokpelts
10-21-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
Doesn't MLB consider the Twins and Brewers rivals? Don't they play each other at least three times a year?

Yes. They play each other 6 times a year.
Gene

anewman35
10-21-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
That Story IS STUPID. It says the SOX will play at Marlins,
then says they will Host the Marlins

Read it again. It says "They likely will play two road series against three potential teams: the Expos, the Mets and the NL champion Florida Marlins." and later says "The Sox likely will host two interleague series against three potential teams: the Phillies, Braves and Marlins."

Nowhere does it say they will play at the Marlins and host the Marlins, it says the Sox could play at the Marlins or the Marlins could play here. Never says both will happen.

cheeses_h_rice
10-21-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
Doesn't MLB consider the Twins and Brewers rivals? Don't they play each other at least three times a year?

I was trying to think of who the Twins might play outside of the NL Central next year.

anewman35
10-21-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I was trying to think of who the Twins might play outside of the NL Central next year.

Why not check their schedule? It's posted on their website.

MRKARNO
10-21-2003, 03:22 PM
The twins play the phillies, Mets and Expos from the NL East (kinda funny how they dont play the braves or the fish).

Plus instead of Minny playing the brew crew for 6, they only play them for 3 and instead head out to Arizona for the other 3, which makes their schedule a wee bit stronger.

MiamiSpartan1
10-21-2003, 04:11 PM
They are saying down here that the Sox are definately coming to the Pro in May or June. I plan on being at every game with a White Sox cap and Marlins jersey or the reverse...Can't wait... :D:

anewman35
10-21-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by MiamiSpartan1
They are saying down here that the Sox are definately coming to the Pro in May or June. I plan on being at every game with a White Sox cap and Marlins jersey or the reverse...Can't wait... :D:

Well, probably June, then. There's never been interleague play in May, has there?

steff
10-21-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
Read it again. It says "They likely will play two road series against three potential teams: the Expos, the Mets and the NL champion Florida Marlins." and later says "The Sox likely will host two interleague series against three potential teams: the Phillies, Braves and Marlins."

Nowhere does it say they will play at the Marlins and host the Marlins, it says the Sox could play at the Marlins or the Marlins could play here. Never says both will happen.


Henry only sees what Henry wants to see... :D:

Hangar18
10-21-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
Doesn't MLB consider the Twins and Brewers rivals? Don't they play each other at least three times a year?

Those 2 teams were rivals when they were in the AMERICAN LEAGUE. MLB's artificial creation of a Rivalry, when there already was one, is Stupid.

RKMeibalane
10-21-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by steff
Henry only sees what Henry wants to see... :D:

LOL!

I'm hoping that the Sox can actually take care of business in April, regardless of who they are playing. Those first few weeks of this past season were awful. Had it not been for that mess, the Sox might still be playing.

dllrbll7
10-21-2003, 11:05 PM
Fourth of july sox scrub game would be unreal. I cant wait!!! I really dont think they would make it a night game though.

bc2k
10-21-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
July 4th Sox/Cubs game would be a blast. I wonder if it would be a night game or a day game? Perhaps a post game Independance Day fireworks show to dazzle the sellout crowd? I know I'll be putting that game on my Sox 7 game order form.

July 4th fireworks makes sense. But in order to enjoy the fireworks, it would have to be a night game. Even a 3:05 start would be too early for the summer sun to set. I'm guessing a 7:05 start, or 7:35 if they change the '04 starting times.

Good call Foulkie, that's a Sox-7 must have.

ewokpelts
10-22-2003, 06:11 PM
pencil in a july 9-11th home series against the mariners

luvsox56
12-05-2003, 10:38 PM
I was just checking the website and saw that the complete schedule was available...

http://whitesox.mlb.com/cws/downloads/schedule2004_120403.pdf

MRKARNO
12-05-2003, 11:23 PM
My initial impressions of the schedule are that April and May are kinda mid-level difficulty. June is ridiculously difficuly. July a little lower than April and May and August and September/oct are the easiest part of the year.

Rocklive99
12-06-2003, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the schedule link. Are we traveling to Montreal or San Juan, I think I read that about 20 of the Expo home games will be in Puerto Rico

doogiec
12-06-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Rocklive99
Thanks for the schedule link. Are we traveling to Montreal or San Juan, I think I read that about 20 of the Expo home games will be in Puerto Rico

The current proposed schedule for San Juan has games against the New York Mets (April 9-11), Florida (April 13-15), Milwaukee (May 18-20), San Francisco (May 21-23), Toronto (July 2-4), Atlanta (July 5-7) and Pittsburgh (July 8-11).

The above is from a current article in CNN/SI site. The Sox are apparently traveling to Montreal.

CubKilla
12-06-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by doogiec
The current proposed schedule for San Juan has games against the New York Mets (April 9-11), Florida (April 13-15), Milwaukee (May 18-20), San Francisco (May 21-23), Toronto (July 2-4), Atlanta (July 5-7) and Pittsburgh (July 8-11).

The above is from a current article in CNN/SI site. The Sox are apparently traveling to Montreal.

San Juan would make more sense since the White Sox will already be in the Florida area.

anewman35
12-06-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
San Juan would make more sense since the White Sox will already be in the Florida area.

Since when does MLB scheduling make any sense?