PDA

View Full Version : The Twins are changing their playing surface

ChiSox14305635
10-21-2003, 02:03 AM
They're switching from artifical turf to AstroPlay, which is supposed to be softer. Hopefully, that should cut down on those triples that should've been singles that flew past opposing outfielders in the outfield.

Metrodome ends turf war (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1639749)

39thandWallace
10-21-2003, 03:13 AM
I was in the Sky Dome in Toronto in 2000. They just installed a new surface that year I forget what they called it but they had a strip of the old stuff which they still used for the CFL games and I walked on both and really didn't feel that much difference.

Chisox_cali
10-21-2003, 04:19 AM
I believe it was Daver who said that Hump Dome is the Twins best player :)

Irishsox1
10-21-2003, 08:37 AM
That is great news. The new turf that will be installed is nothing like the concrete they were plaing on. It's still fake grass, but the ball doesn't fly across it. This will change the dome in a manner that should help the Sox. But it won't help the Bears, nothing can help the Bears.

kittle42
10-21-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
This will change the dome in a manner that should help the Sox.

What will help them even more will be the departures of anyone Minny won't pay.

Iwritecode
10-21-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by 39thandWallace
I was in the Sky Dome in Toronto in 2000. They just installed a new surface that year I forget what they called it but they had a strip of the old stuff which they still used for the CFL games and I walked on both and really didn't feel that much difference.

I think this stuff is different. I remember watching something on TV about it a few months ago. Basically, what they have now is a giant rubber tire painted green covering the field. Now they will have something that just about resembles real grass.

soxtalker
10-21-2003, 11:31 AM
Maybe I missed something, but it wasn't clear to me why they were changing the surface. If it has been a big competitive advantage (and that seems to have been the case), I would think that they'd want to keep it. I can think of at least three possible reasons:
1) It simply wearing out, and they replaced it with the most cost-effective solution.
2) They were sustaining injuries due to the hard surface. That has been the argument against using them in football, but I'm not sure about baseball.
3) They were under pressure from MLB to change.

xil357
10-21-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
They were under pressure from MLB to change.

Maybe the NFL and NFLPA wanted the turf changed, or perhaps the owners of the Metrodome, seeing that the old stuff was wearing out, decided to change it to a turf that was either less expensive or would reduce their liability insurance premuims.

Hangar18
10-21-2003, 12:44 PM
This was definitely a NFL related move. The Prior-Less Twins
will be Folded in a couple years anyway

GoSox2K3
10-21-2003, 12:45 PM
Too bad the Twins aren't changing their playing surface to paper since we hear every year that the Sox are the better team on paper.

Foulke You
10-21-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
Maybe I missed something, but it wasn't clear to me why they were changing the surface. If it has been a big competitive advantage (and that seems to have been the case), I would think that they'd want to keep it. I can think of at least three possible reasons:
1) It simply wearing out, and they replaced it with the most cost-effective solution.
2) They were sustaining injuries due to the hard surface. That has been the argument against using them in football, but I'm not sure about baseball.
3) They were under pressure from MLB to change.

Actually, both #1 and #2 of your assumptions are correct. I read an article that said the Metrodome's turf was falling apart. There are giant seems in the turf which were pulling away from each other requiring them to replace whole sections of the turf so that it was a giant patchwork mess of turf. Also, both the Twins and Vikings have lost players due to injuries directly related to the turf and basically have been pulling for this to get done. Competitive advantage or no, these teams have millions of dollars invested in these players and they don't want to see a star player like Torii Hunter or Randy Moss on the Vikings blow out their knee when it could have been avoided.

I am really looking forward to the new turf. I feel that for sure it will help ground ball pitchers like Buehrle and Garland when we go into Minnesota and cut down on those cheap turf hits. If the Twins lose AJ Piersinski and Latroy Hawkins combined with losing that billiard felt, I feel confident in the Jerry Manuel-less '04 White Sox chances. Although, as a Sox fan, I've been fooled into being optimistic before. I'm going to stick to the Sox fan default "disaster is inevitable" theory so I won't be disappointed in the end. :D:

poorme
10-21-2003, 01:15 PM
I looked at the stats and the twins seem to hit better on the road.

MHOUSE
10-21-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
Too bad the Twins aren't changing their playing surface to paper since we hear every year that the Sox are the better team on paper.

LMAO GoSox! :)

I've played indoor soccer on what's basically thicker driving range carpet, but it's covered with ground up tires a little less deeper than the plastic blades of grass. It feels like grass as the tired act like dirt sort of with the carpet coming above it. It's a little slick, but the ball doesn't fly off it it, it cushions it like grass would. I'd like to see someone try that on a baseball field. The only problem is that the pieces of tire get EVERYWHERE in your shoes and stuff.

oheeoh...magglio
10-21-2003, 01:48 PM

HAHAHAHA!!! I believe IIRC that astroplay is very soft when you fall on it because it has like sand in it or something, and that's why many places have put them in. With the baggy dome getting this, aren't there only going to be like 2 true astroturf surfaces left in all of MLB?

ma-gaga
10-22-2003, 05:38 PM

Great quote.
The old turf has been down for like 10 odd years. It's worn out. Sadly/luckily there hasn't been horrific injuries occuring on the surface. I think a couple of careers have ended, but journey-men types of careers. Maybe Terry Allen's knees would have been saved with a better surface.

I doubt AJ will be traded this offseason. Maybe I'm just repeating myself to make me feel better, kind of like Hanger repeating ad nauseum about contraction/Prior/Twins, but they (the Twins) would be idiots to promote a prospect who isn't ready, if they already have a kid who can play the position for relatively cheap.

In 2005 anything goes. I think they'll dismantle the current team and hope that their next wave of prospects goes, "BOOM!". We'll see how their next wave of starting pitching turns out.

:)

StepsInSC
10-22-2003, 07:20 PM
Its still a hole.

Nick@Nite
10-22-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Its still a hole.

The Humpty Dump ... for sure.

jabrch
10-23-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
That is great news. The new turf that will be installed is nothing like the concrete they were plaing on. It's still fake grass, but the ball doesn't fly across it. This will change the dome in a manner that should help the Sox. But it won't help the Bears, nothing can help the Bears.

If we dug giant potholes every 15 yards and put starving Brontosaurus inside each one. Face it - if the Brontosaurus ate 10 of their players and 10 of ours, at random, the odds are good that the Vikings they eat would be far better than ours.

Past starving Brontosaurus - you are right...nothing can help the Bears.

voodoochile
10-23-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
If we dug giant potholes every 15 yards and put starving Brontosaurus inside each one. Face it - if the Brontosaurus ate 10 of their players and 10 of ours, at random, the odds are good that the Vikings they eat would be far better than ours.

Past starving Brontosaurus - you are right...nothing can help the Bears.

Just to be picky, Brontosuari were vegetarians...