PDA

View Full Version : ChiSox always play in October?

Nellie Comiskey
10-20-2003, 11:35 PM
Clicking through the channels the other night I came to the harsh yet depressing realization that the only time the Sox play in mid to late October is when "Eight Men Out" is shown on Bravo. When you watch the movie and realize that the Sox were not far from being a dynasty at that time it is surely depressing. Even more depressing is the thought of only one World Series appearance since that ugly 1919 Series. Is this our "Curse": jeopardizing the games integrity and nearly putting it out of business. Do the Baseball Gods hold that against the southside franchise like the other myths? Who knows, but you have to admit it brought consistent winning to an abrupt halt.
:comiskey

LuvSox
10-20-2003, 11:40 PM
Sorry, that curse crap doesn't sit well with me. Teams with "curses" have self-pitying fans. The White Sox have fans that don't take bs. This teams problems since 1919 has been owners that don't open their wallets, not curses.

Nellie Comiskey
10-20-2003, 11:58 PM
I agree 100%. The Sox have never had great ownership. They have never committed the resources to establishing a long-term goal...always shifting focus in mid-stream. The lack of long-term focus has allowed the "one hit wonders": teams from '59, '83,'93 & '00 to make their post season run a one and done effort. This is due to guys having career years, breaking up of the team and a killer strike of '94. This lack of consecutive playoff appearances is the ultimate downfall of the recent great teams....the four teams mentioned never were able to use their short yet valuable playoff experience. Yes there is no official curse, however the inability of seriously challenging for a championship coupled with baseball's darkest scandal makes you wonder.

doublem23
10-21-2003, 03:25 PM
We're not cursed, we just had these guys running the show...

:reinsy :KW :jerry

Hokiesox
10-21-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Nellie Comiskey
I agree 100%. The Sox have never had great ownership. They have never committed the resources to establishing a long-term goal...always shifting focus in mid-stream. The lack of long-term focus has allowed the "one hit wonders": teams from '59, '83,'93 & '00 to make their post season run a one and done effort. This is due to guys having career years, breaking up of the team and a killer strike of '94. This lack of consecutive playoff appearances is the ultimate downfall of the recent great teams....the four teams mentioned never were able to use their short yet valuable playoff experience. Yes there is no official curse, however the inability of seriously challenging for a championship coupled with baseball's darkest scandal makes you wonder.

I won't get into the wonderment of why you answered your own question :)

BUT, your post makes me worry if the Flubs have finally gotten a long term focus? I mean, let's face it, and I don't like it either, but Hendry is doing a great job and they have a long term focus. Is this more of a threat to a southside team without focus than prior/wood and JR/JM's replacement?

**And please, don't turn this thread into another anti-cubs thread, please! I'm just using their management structure as a comparison.**

LuvSox
10-21-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
I won't get into the wonderment of why you answered your own question :)

I think Nellie Comiskey was answering me.