PDA

View Full Version : Now Fox is "Pro-Marlins" and "Anti-Cubs"

kittle42
10-20-2003, 09:55 PM
You *have* to see this ridiculous letter to the Sun-Times:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/letters/cst-edt-vox20a.html

Highlights:

"More importantly, the Cubs fired Brennaman, Lyons was an ex-Sox player, and Leiter played with the Marlins championship team."

"Instead of appealing to the audience dominated by Cubs fans, Fox's crew commented about how courageous and gutsy the Marlins were."

Um...was he watching the same game we were?

Frankfan4life
10-20-2003, 11:51 PM
Just goes to show you how arrogant Scrubs fans have become. Now they want to dictate to Fox who they want to broadcast their games and what they want the broadcasters to say!

All of their playoff games were on prime time tv. Some of the games were actually simulcast on Ch. 9 (unheard of). They got serious coverage on ESPN and on all the networks. All I heard about was the Scrubs and their stupid curse. Our own broadcast station, ESPN 1000, even forbid Sox fans from talking about the Sox during the playoffs.

Fox bent over backward to show Scrubs fans inside and outside the stadium. They commented over and over about how great Scrubs fans are. The media never even tried to be objective when covering the Scrubs. The media even called them America's Team! What more do these morons want?

Then after all this they have the nerve to threaten Fox by saying they won't watch the WS. I guess that's no big loss then because it only proves that Scrubs fans are not baseball fans anyway, they're just Scrubs fans. If they won't watch the WS because they're not in it then they haven't watched a WS game since 1945.

:hurt

Irishsox1
10-21-2003, 12:07 AM
Cub fans are lucky that they didn't have to hear McCarver. That guy is not only a idiot but a total A-hole. I thought the coverage was great. Cub fans are ticked because everyone but the team cost them to lose games 5, 6 amd 7.

JRIG
10-21-2003, 12:32 AM
:chimp
"Cubs fans didn't get to hear one 'Swung on, belted!' during the entire postseason. How unfair is that!"

batmanZoSo
10-21-2003, 12:33 AM
God what whiny pukes those cub fans are. That's the biggest stretch I've ever heard. Tom Brenneman is outstanding and I liked Al Leiter. The first game he was just weird, but after that he really made some good points about pitching and junk.

I like the idea of putting players in the booth, but Brett Boone? What was that all about? He doesn't even talk. In fact, he had the whole booth silent at times. I'm not sure if it was game 7 or game 1 of the ws, but it was like listening to Jim Rome with all that dead air.

JRIG
10-21-2003, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
God what whiny pukes those cub fans are. That's the biggest stretch I've ever heard. Tom Brenneman is outstanding and I liked Al Leiter. The first game he was just weird, but after that he really made some good points about pitching and junk.

I like the idea of putting players in the booth, but Brett Boone? What was that all about? He doesn't even talk. In fact, he had the whole booth silent at times. I'm not sure if it was game 7 or game 1 of the ws, but it was like listening to Jim Rome with all that dead air.

Yeah, except usually during the pauses, Rome is thinking. You know with Lyons in the booth there is absolutely no thinking going on at any time.

34rancher
10-21-2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by kittle42
You *have* to see this ridiculous letter to the Sun-Times:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/letters/cst-edt-vox20a.html

Highlights:

"More importantly, the Cubs fired Brennaman, Lyons was an ex-Sox player, and Leiter played with the Marlins championship team."

"Instead of appealing to the audience dominated by Cubs fans, Fox's crew commented about how courageous and gutsy the Marlins were."

How come no one else noticed that this guy was from Northbrook, home to fighting teenage girls and "The Fan"

I think That Rosenbloom was right on Sat. morning......What are we going to do with that disgrace of a suburb?

WhiteSox = Life
10-21-2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by Frankfan4life
Just goes to show you how arrogant Scrubs fans have become. Now they want to dictate to Fox who they want to broadcast their games and what they want the broadcasters to say!

All of their playoff games were on prime time tv. Some of the games were actually simulcast on Ch. 9 (unheard of). They got serious coverage on ESPN and on all the networks. All I heard about was the Scrubs and their stupid curse. Our own broadcast station, ESPN 1000, even forbid Sox fans from talking about the Sox during the playoffs.

Fox bent over backward to show Scrubs fans inside and outside the stadium. They commented over and over about how great Scrubs fans are. The media never even tried to be objective when covering the Scrubs. The media even called them America's Team! What more do these morons want?

Then after all this they have the nerve to threaten Fox by saying they won't watch the WS. I guess that's no big loss then because it only proves that Scrubs fans are not baseball fans anyway, they're just Scrubs fans. If they won't watch the WS because they're not in it then they haven't watched a WS game since 1945.

Welcome aboard!

:smile:

Realist
10-21-2003, 02:51 AM

I actually did notice that Fox's television broadcast of the series with the Marlins was one of the only havens from Cub fever in the media. I was just asking some Sox fans yesterday if they noticed how Steve Lyons would seem to take a little subtle shot at the Cubs whenever he got the chance. The other two really taught me alot about how the Marlins had grown to be such a competitive team over the year yet I don't really remember having too endure story after story about the Cubs successful season. I know I would have cringed if that were the case.

I had a feeling that Cubs fans might not be happy with the broadcasts (I know they didn't like the outcome :cool: ). It's as if the Cubs were a guy with a girl sucking on each earlobe but was complaining because no one was kissing his forehead.

Hangar18
10-21-2003, 10:12 AM
WOW. I cant believe that guy wrote that letter. What an Idiot.
Before I continue to call him more names, its funny how all these years of interacting and watching cub fans from Afar, I known them to be the DUMBEST FANS IVE EVER MET IN MOST SPORTS.
What is scary now..... Is now that they won 80 games, and
made it to the LCS, these people are now ARROGANT. DOES ANYONE SEE THE EFFECT THE MEDIA HAS ON CUB FANS NOW??
All I heard Before, During, and After the Playoffs, was How Great Cub fans were, How there were tons of them everywhere, How they were Great for Business, How the Travel, How they spend spend spend, How theyre Americas Team, How FOX would make MILLIONS if the Cubs went all the way. It only took a few weeks of SHOCK and AWE Media CUBPOGANDA and suddenly, these Fans FELT THEY WERE OWED A WORLD SERIES !!!!!
Ive never known Cub Fans to be ARROGANT, (Because theyve NEVER WON ANYTHING BEFORE) But man, weve
Reached a NEW LEVEL here with these people!! I NEVER thought I could hate this Team, their Fans, and their Culture More than I do now......But I TRULY HATE THIS TEAM. I have an email, that was sent by someone in my company, to our branch in Boston, and I will print it up and post here. This cub fan, thinks the baseball world lost out, because their 2 teams (note how hes lumping the RedSox in with his team, even though the BoSox have WON MANY MORE GAMES and have a couple WS Appearances under their belt) and that the World wanted to see the "dream series". SOUNDS LIKE HES BEEN READING SOME OF THE MEDIA ATTENTION DOESNT IT? Now who is it out there, that says the MEDIA DOESNT MATTER ?????

soxtalker
10-21-2003, 10:35 AM
This sort of reaction occurs every time the national media broadcast a major sporting event. I bet that there were Marlins fans also complaining about the coverage being biased against them. Same thing for both the Yankees and Red Sox.

Back when the Bulls were winning championships, there would always be complaints about how the national media were biased against the Bulls. It didn't make any sense. Having Jordan and the Bulls in the playoffs was an incredible draw for them.

SoxFan78
10-21-2003, 10:36 AM
"And just like the poor fan that interfered with Alou catching the ball in Game 6, I would not be surprised if Fox Sports blamed me, too, for the Cubs loss in the most recent series."

This guy couldn't of been watching the broadcast. Is it just me or do we all remember Thom going off in the beginning of game 7 saying the media and the fans should not blame the fan for losing the game. I thought the media was pro-cubs. What about when they beat Atlanta? "First Cubs playoff win in 95 Years!" I could not stand that. Hell, they showed the cubby bear and the fans when the cubs were in Atlanta. I don't remember Fox showing any of the bars in South Beach during game 7. What scares me the most is that this guy is the co-founder of a media company. If I had stock in that company I would sell.

I think the only way this guy would be happy is that if it Major League Baseball would of renamed the series the Chicago Cubs League Championship Series.

What a Jackpipe

Rocky Soprano
10-21-2003, 11:45 AM
Boy do I hate Cub Fans! :angry:

dickallen15
10-21-2003, 12:00 PM
Brenneman didn't get fired by the Cubs, he left to take the #1 job in Arizona. Lyons also played for the Cubs. Leiter complimented the Cubs all series long. If the broadcast was pro anything, it was pro Cubs.I can't believe a newspaper would print such garbage.

cwsox
10-21-2003, 12:06 PM
Now how can anyone be shocked, shocked that a scrubs fan has found something new to whine about? It is what they do. It defines them!

GoSox2K3
10-21-2003, 02:43 PM
Sounds like a typicaly whining Cub fan.

How dare Fox say anything good about the Marlins? Cubs coverage should take priority over Yankees and Red Sox. Coverage should have been geared towards Cub fans because everyone is a Cub fan. Blah blah blah....

Incredible that Cub fans have the audacity to make this complaint after having the media shamelessly kissing the Cubs' a** for the last few weeks. They really are full of themselves!

Hangar18
10-21-2003, 02:54 PM
I'll tell you what, some of Our Responses are excellent.
Good Job everyone. Not bdf fer unexdubmated peepel
Neow I hafta go an bie anudder trebune and pravda

ewokpelts
10-21-2003, 03:14 PM

ESPN offered simulcasts to all playoff markets' network stations. Atlanta's WTBS was offered, but refused. I think Sports Weekly mentioned it. I'll post the blurb later.
Gene

daveeym
10-21-2003, 06:06 PM
The guy is a moron. The only thing he was correct about was it was a horrible team in the booth. Leiter did get better as the series went on but he was pretty brutal. Lyons? Put him back into the studio where he can do dorf on baseball type segments and be a clown. That crew basically was just a bunch of fencewalkers. Whatever team had the lead or momentum in the series was the team they "favored." They jumped on and off both team's bandwagons constantly. I want a joe morgan type doing these games, that way every player sucks compared to him and there are no favorites.

AsInWreck
10-21-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
Cub fans are lucky that they didn't have to hear McCarver.

That would have been clearly more anti-cub propaganda from the fox team, since he was best known for playing for the cubs' nemisis cardinals.

AsInWreck
10-21-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Realist
I actually did notice that Fox's television broadcast of the series with the Marlins was one of the only havens from Cub fever in the media. I was just asking some Sox fans yesterday if they noticed how Steve Lyons would seem to take a little subtle shot at the Cubs whenever he got the chance.

I thought Lyons and Leiter seemed to have a little tension going on too, which I found pretty amusing. Lyons probably isn't used to being in the booth w/ an actual quality major leaguer, and it sounded like he was a little touchy about it.
Also - For those who don't know, Lyons and Brenneman are the FSN team for the D'back games out here in AZ. That makes it even more ridiculous to think Fox put them together just to spite the cubs.
In fact, Lyons and Brenneman were talking about how great it would be if the Red Sox and Cubs made it to the WS a couple of weeks before the end of the season during a broadcast. I found it irritating since the white sox were still in 1st at the time.

Lyons could be the most annoying announcer of all time, though. Luckily they have Joe Garagiolla(?) replace him for the games on the local cable channel. He's one of the best I've heard.

AsInWreck
10-21-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan78
"And just like the poor fan that interfered with Alou catching the ball in Game 6, I would not be surprised if Fox Sports blamed me, too, for the Cubs loss in the most recent series."

This guy couldn't of been watching the broadcast. Is it just me or do we all remember Thom going off in the beginning of game 7 saying the media and the fans should not blame the fan for losing the game.
What a Jackpipe

Not only that, but he went on at quite a lengthon what an indictment of today's society the whole thing was, with the crazed fans and irresponsible journalism. Maybe that's why the writer thought they were anti-cub.

Frankfan4life
10-21-2003, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the welcome Whitesox=Life. I'm glad to be here among friends and fellow fans. And thanks Ewokpelts for setting me straight about the simulcast.

Nevertheless, Flub fans had little to complain about in terms of media coverage. The media was killing themselves trying to find Cubs stories. The Chicago media pretty much lost all objectivity. The Sox would be lucky if they get HALF this kind of coverage when they make it to the ALCS.

In Sneed's column in Sunday's Sun-Times, Flub fans were complaining to her that JACK BRICKHOUSE barely got mentioned on the air. Well, maybe that's because he's DEAD and no longer has anything to do with the current situation. Sheesh! I think it would be up to the Cubs not Fox to honor their former staff. Anyway, it was the Cubs who dissed Brickhouse long ago in order to cannonize the more colorful Harry Caray.

ARROGANT? H#ll Yes!

Realist
10-22-2003, 02:34 AM

In Sneed's column in Sunday's Sun-Times, Flub fans were complaining to her that JACK BRICKHOUSE barely got mentioned on the air. Well, maybe that's because he's DEAD and no longer has anything to do with the current situation. Sheesh! I think it would be up to the Cubs not Fox to honor their former staff. Anyway, it was the Cubs who dissed Brickhouse long ago in order to cannonize the more colorful Harry Caray.

ARROGANT? H#ll Yes!

For what it's worth, I met Jack Brickhouse's widow about 3 years ago and she told me that he was a huge White Sox fan, much more so than a Cubs fan. I believe he was the Sox first broadcaster and it was also his first broadcasting job.

hsnterprize
10-22-2003, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the welcome Whitesox=Life. I'm glad to be here among friends and fellow fans. And thanks Ewokpelts for setting me straight about the simulcast.

Nevertheless, Flub fans had little to complain about in terms of media coverage. The media was killing themselves trying to find Cubs stories. The Chicago media pretty much lost all objectivity. The Sox would be lucky if they get HALF this kind of coverage when they make it to the ALCS.

ARROGANT? H#ll Yes! Welcome to the Sox jungle!!!!! It's good to see more Sox fans come aboard. Unlike the north-side based Titanic, this ship won't sink because of overbearing cockiness and arrogance from unintelligent fans, pro-Flubs media, and anyone who thinks they're a legit baseball fan just because they're banging ThunderStix outside Wrigley.

You're only saying what many Sox fans have been saying for a very long time...and it's now coming to a head on a national stage thanks to the Cubs tease. Many non-die-hard Cub fans are nothing but abunch of idiots. I have to say it so bluntly, but I'm sick and tired of the "Jonny..." and "Jenny Come Lately", "trendy", "Let's go to Wrigley because it's a popular place" kind of fan who doesn't give two rips about the game.

I truly empathize with the die-hard Cubs fan who had to sink with the Titanic-laced Cubs, but to those who just rode the bandwagon, tough luck. You're at least smart enough to realize that being a Sox fan means you actually give a rip about your team, and you know we Sox fans won't accept anything less than the best...especially in the light of this "Big, Blue Monster" we're having to deal with all the time known as the "Cubbie Machine." But...if the Florida Marlins can pull a "David vs. Goliath" and beat the Monster, than so can our team...all the way to World Series glory!!!!!

Frankfan4life
10-23-2003, 03:56 AM
Coming to WSI and reading some of these posts helped keep me sane during the last few weeks.

I enjoy hearing about the White Sox and their history. I've learned a lot. It's also great to know that a lot of people feel the same way I do.
Originally posted by Realist
For what it's worth, I met Jack Brickhouse's widow about 3 years ago and she told me that he was a huge White Sox fan, much more so than a Cubs fan. I believe he was the Sox first broadcaster and it was also his first broadcasting job. My boyfriend, an equally rabid White Sox fan who NEVER misses a game, told me that Pat Brickhouse was being interviewed by DJ on a Sox broadcast this year and she asked him if she could say GO SOX? And she did! Perhaps this information should be passed along to Sneed.

In the 80's I used to party with a lot of friends who were Cubs fans. I went to Cub openers with them. At that time, it was no big deal. They were just fans, not the kind of cult-like, publicity-seeking maniacs they've become now.

Unfortunately, money fuels everything and unless Sox fans start showing larger attendance numbers at games, the media will not take us as seriously.

:hurt Hurt so GOOD!

kittle42
10-24-2003, 03:05 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/letters/cst-edt-vox24a.html

Scroll down to:

"Don't blame the messenger

The reasons given (by Sheldon Drobny, Oct. 20 letter, "Fox Sports unfairly crossed off the Cubs") for being against the selection of the broadcast team are spurious at best....." continued.

hsnterprize
10-24-2003, 03:58 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/letters/cst-edt-vox24a.html

Scroll down to:

"Don't blame the messenger

The reasons given (by Sheldon Drobny, Oct. 20 letter, "Fox Sports unfairly crossed off the Cubs") for being against the selection of the broadcast team are spurious at best....." continued. Whether that commentary was written by someone posting here on WSI or not, that author makes one heck of a point...if Cubs fans are mad about their team losing the way they did, many of them (I'm making sure I don't say ALL in this case) are looking for a scapegoat (no pun intended) for the loss. If the Cubs would've won, this conversation wouldn't even be happening.

TDog
10-24-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
Brenneman didn't get fired by the Cubs, he left to take the #1 job in Arizona. Lyons also played for the Cubs. Leiter complimented the Cubs all series long. If the broadcast was pro anything, it was pro Cubs.I can't believe a newspaper would print such garbage.

I'm pretty sure Brenneman got the job in Arizona after he was fired by the Cubs. The cable saturation in the desert might have helped (although my community didn't have WGN available anywhere).

I am guessing he was fired because of the statement he read late in his last game with the Cubs and the difficulty he had in reading it.

Frankfan4life
10-24-2003, 11:32 PM
I'm glad someone responded to that ridiculous letter. I also thought the response was correct but way too nice.

Hangar18 expressed my sentiments about the letter-writer and the Cub fans who got so full of themselves during the playoffs that they lost sight of the fact that the Cubs had to actually play against another team and WIN the games in order to go to the WS. Wanting something and wishing for it is not the same as getting it, believe me, I know. The Sox went into the playoffs several times with a far better record than the Cubs had this year and failed miserably each time.

I think the Cubs were lucky they played a five-game series with Atlanta. It's easier for a less superior team to win a short series. However, the Marlins are proving that they are not a fluke, they have a pretty good ball club and so far Jack McKeon is showing manager-of-the-year potential.

In an article in today's Sun-Times, a professor analyzed the effect "The Fan" had on the Cubs losing in the NLCS. He said the fan's interference had only a 3% effect on the outcome of the game. He gave Gonzalez's error a 10% effect, Lee's double a 34% effect and Mordecai's double more than 20%. He says the fan's effect on the outcome of game 7 decreased to 1.5%. In conculsion, he said "Profesional athletes should be able to cope with a 3 percent change in their fortunes." Of course Cub fans and the media would much rather the professor conclude that it was the curse.

:hurt Chicks dig the Big Hurt!