PDA

View Full Version : steroids

soxrme
10-20-2003, 10:45 AM
Are you guys following this steroid thing going on with the US track team? I only heard a little tidbit this morning on espn radio about Bonds and some other major athletes being involved. I know that the track team is in major trouble. Can Sammie be far behind?

Jerko
10-20-2003, 10:54 AM
I heard Giambi's name mentioned too. Hopefully the Scammer is on the radar.

dickallen15
10-20-2003, 11:10 AM
Sammy won't be in on this one. He gets his steriods in Latin America. He stuffs brown paper bags with money to pay for them.

Dadawg_77
10-20-2003, 11:15 AM
Bonds and Giambi among others had been subpoenaed before a federal grand jury. They have received supplement and/or other training supplies from the company which was recently busted for having this new steroid.

soxrme
10-20-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Bonds and Giambi among others had been subpoenaed before a federal grand jury. They have received supplement and/or other training supplies from the company which was recently busted for having this new steroid.
Thanks this is obviously something all sports fans will have and interest in.

mandmandm
10-20-2003, 11:41 AM
Hopefully this will help clean up MLB while preventing the player's union from protecting their muscle men.

Risk
10-20-2003, 12:03 PM
Please don't refer to the MLB players union as a union. It's more of a millionaires club.

Risk

voodoochile
10-20-2003, 12:05 PM
Anybody got a link to the current story?

Irishsox1
10-20-2003, 12:07 PM
Bonds and Giambi use science to cheat, while Sosa is Old School. He gets his stuff in a back alley, the way drug users would get there stuff back in the day. You've got to like that about Sammy.

Dadawg_77
10-20-2003, 12:20 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/olympics/10/19/balco.scandal/index.html

kittle42
10-20-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
Sammy won't be in on this one. He gets his steriods in Latin America. He stuffs brown paper bags with money to pay for them.

I am *so* glad I'm not the only person who remembers this. Now there was a story that got glossed over very qucikly.

LuvSox
10-20-2003, 12:51 PM
Giambi on 'roids? No way man, he's too smart to do something like that.

washington
10-20-2003, 01:19 PM
The Sammy/Bag-of-money story did disappear in a heartbeat. So did the story that Sammy may be 3 years older than he lets on, IIRC that story surfaced in the Cubune during contract negotiations with Sosa a few years back, nobody else picked up on it and it went away. If it's true, it explains his steep dropoff in production this season

bc2k
10-20-2003, 02:10 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/olympics/10/19/balco.scandal/index.html

"The grand jury is expected to convene this week but only will be asking the athletes about their financial relationship with the company, not investigating them for drug use, the report said."

This is baloney, and why weren't the names of the other two MLB drug users mentioned?

MarkEdward
10-20-2003, 02:19 PM
For what it's worth, here are some articles I found on the case:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/10/19/BALCO.TMP
http://www.jtthebrick.com/fanclub/news/All/article.asp?team=ALL&id=40695

And the relevant quote, from the SFGate story:

The grand jury, which is expected to begin hearing testimony this week, is not investigating the athletes for drug use but instead intends to question them about their financial relationship with Conte -- what they purchased from him and what they paid for it.

So it's not like this is a "steroid" trial. It seems like anyone who was associated with BALCO was subpoenaed.

On another note, happy birthday to Mickey Mantle and Juan Marichal (and Keith Hernandez).

PaleHoseGeorge
10-20-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15

:nandrolone
"That's right! Bonds and Giambi need to get themselves a more secure and reliable source of supply. Except for losing a big bag of cash in a brown bag in a hotel lobby, I haven't had a bit of trouble!"

:ohno
"Corked bat... charity fraud... "lost" money... and nobody in the sports journalism community has bothered to followup on any of it... typical..."

washington
10-20-2003, 02:45 PM
It's common among prosecutors to tell a grand jury witness that he or she is not a "target." But it doesn't mean anything; if they get evidence that incriminates the witness he can become a "target" in a heartbeat. As can other potential users........

:barney&sham

AsInWreck
10-20-2003, 05:19 PM

I thought Giambi kind of had a deer-in-the-headlights look to him the last couple of games. This ought to be good though.

mac9001
10-20-2003, 05:37 PM
People, this isn't about drugs (also these are legal supplements). This is about a company having trouble with the IRS and these athletes are only there to testify on how much they bought.

AsInWreck
10-20-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by mac9001
People, this isn't about drugs (also these are legal supplements). This is about a company having trouble with the IRS and these athletes are only there to testify on how much they bought.

The SI article says their office was raided by both the IRS and a narcotics task force. It also states authorities refuse to comment on the investigation. If it is related to issue w/ the track team that was an illegal steroid designed to go undetected during drug tests.

mac9001
10-20-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by AsInWreck
The SI article says their office was raided by both the IRS and a narcotics task force. It also states authorities refuse to comment on the investigation. If it is related to issue w/ the track team that was an illegal steroid designed to go undetected during drug tests.

The grand jury, which is expected to begin hearing testimony this week, is not investigating the athletes for drug use but intends to question them about their financial relationship with Conte -- what they purchased from him and how much they paid for it.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2003/10/20/MNGKC2F5631.DTL

That sums it all up all and it was posted earlier in the thread.

34rancher
10-20-2003, 07:56 PM
I wonder why no one hit 50 dingers this year for the first time in like 9 years.
Hmmmmmm.......did they test this year?

PaleHoseGeorge
10-20-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by 34rancher
I wonder why no one hit 50 dingers this year for the first time in like 9 years.
Hmmmmmm.......did they test this year?

"I can answer your question, rancher. It's because I already saved baseball."
"Mark McGwire and I basically saved baseball back in 1998 when we shared the home run title."
"Did I mention that Mark and I are really good friends?"
"I'm good friends with Barry Bonds, too, but he is too much a jerk to play along so screw him. I never liked the guy."
"That corked bat was strictly for entertaining the fans who love me so much."
"I'm a victim for what happened in that charity fraud, and that missing big bag of money, and that rum bottle across my wife's head, too."
"I don't need to cheat. I'm really strong."

xil357
10-20-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by washington
The Sammy/Bag-of-money story did disappear in a heartbeat. So did the story that Sammy may be 3 years older than he lets on, IIRC that story surfaced in the Cubune during contract negotiations with Sosa a few years back, nobody else picked up on it and it went away. If it's true, it explains his steep dropoff in production this season

And Sammy's lack of intelligence shown in all of the buried stories on his foibles and escapades would lead to the manifest implication that, faced with his precipitous decline in his production in early 2003 due to his going off the juice during the 2002-03 offseason, Sammy, desperately seeking any possible way to re-gain "the edge," decided to use the corked bat (on more than one occasion).

And the fact that the Trib would bring it up during contract negotiations, and then bury it when Sammy happily was re-signed, tells me that the Tribune's editorial policy is driven by nothing more than the bottom line as determined by Tribune Company's corporate managers.

If I'm just blowing hot air with my tin foil hat, can someone (Lip?) provide me a less sinister explanation?

Nick@Nite
10-20-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
"I can answer your question, rancher. It's because I already saved baseball."
"Mark McGwire and I basically saved baseball back in 1998 when we shared the home run title."
"Did I mention that Mark and I are really good friends?"
"I'm good friends with Barry Bonds, too, but he is too much a jerk to play along so screw him. I never liked the guy."
"That corked bat was strictly for entertaining the fans who love me so much."
"I'm a victim for what happened in that charity fraud, and that missing big bag of money, and that rum bottle across my wife's head, too."
"I don't need to cheat. I'm really strong."

New Rum Advertisement
SAMMY & THE PARROT; THE (STEROIDAL) SCAB & THE SQUAB