PDA

View Full Version : Gammons: Gaston Frontrunner For Sox Job, Guillen Right Behind ...

joecrede
10-19-2003, 10:59 PM
For what it is worth . . .

The White Sox managing job seems more and more likely to be headed to two-time world champion Cito Gaston, with Marlins coach Ozzie Guillen right behind Gaston.

Full Story (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1641677)

Randar68
10-19-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
For what it is worth . . .

Full Story (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1641677)

Well, it's decided, your next Sox manager will be someone other than Cito Gaston or Ozzie Guillen!

JRIG
10-19-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Well, it's decided, your next Sox manager will be someone other than Cito Gaston or Ozzie Guillen!

After my conversation with Neyer, I've become a Larry Dierker backer. Spread the word.

1951Campbell
10-19-2003, 11:16 PM
This article is interesting for the assertions about the BoSox...
:boston
"Yes, ManRam and Nomah blew it during the playoffs. But it is a travesty of justice to blame Grady Little for asking an egomaniacal starter if he was still good to go. Managers are clearly not paid to make tough decisions about their starters...they should just ask the starter what they think and then just do whatever they say. Yeah, I know that Pedro had lost velocity and had no juice and had that Jared Wright-fear-of-God-from-1998-Look in that inning. But that's not Grady's fault. Isn't that obvious?"

voodoochile
10-19-2003, 11:17 PM
Any chance they do both? Bring in Cito to manage and Ozzie to coach third with the promise that in a few years, they give the job to Ozzie.

1951Campbell
10-19-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Any chance they do both? Bring in Cito to manage and Ozzie to coach third with the promise that in a few years, they give the job to Ozzie.

That would be nice. I like Ozzie's enthusiasm, but I can't turn down Cito's playoff record.

flo-B-flo
10-19-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
This article is interesting for the assertions about the BoSox...
:boston
"Yes, ManRam and Nomah blew it during the playoffs. But it is a travesty of justice to blame Grady Little for asking an egomaniacal starter if he was still good to go. Managers are clearly not paid to make tough decisions about their starters...they should just ask the starter what they think and then just do whatever they say. Yeah, I know that Pedro had lost velocity and had no juice and had that Jared Wright-fear-of-God-from-1998-Look in that inning. But that's not Grady's fault. Isn't that obvious?" If Little had the brass he yanks pe-throw. He doesn't, they lose. More and more the managers are geting managed by the "star" players.

1951Campbell
10-19-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by flo-B-flo
If Little had the brass he yanks pe-throw. He doesn't, they lose. More and more the managers are geting managed by the "star" players.

Good mangers don't so that. Joe Torre unceremoniously yanked Roger, in what could have been the last game of his incredible career, in the 4th inning. No fanfare. Just "you don't have it, goodbye."

Tragg
10-19-2003, 11:31 PM
I vote "none of the above"

Gaston is like Manuel - maybe he's a little smarter in the strategy department, I don't know. But his teams were absolutely loaded with talent in Toronto. I will say that I like the laid back attitude with a veteran team - the rah rah stuff is okay for kids. Another thing -where's cito been for 10 years?

I see Houston games all the time and Dierker wasn't a good manager, imo

Guillen - refused to walk as a hitter - does the philosophy change as a manager, particularly when that is a glaring weakness of this team?

1951Campbell
10-19-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Tragg

Guillen - refused to walk as a hitter - does the philosophy change as a manager, particularly when that is a glaring weakness of this team?

That's why Gullien looks like a season-ticket seller but a guaranteed 80 game loser. Sorry Ozzie.

Kilroy
10-19-2003, 11:50 PM
That's why Gullien looks like a season-ticket seller but a guaranteed 80 game loser. Sorry Ozzie.

No, I don't agree with that. Knowing what to do and doing it are two different things. Ozzie is wrong for the Sox, but its because he'd be a rookie mgr on a mostly veteran team. If this was "The Kids Can Play", I'd want Ozzie over anyone else.

cwsox
10-20-2003, 12:06 AM
of the two, definately Cito.

The experience is a mjaor factor. He wouldn't be the first managerto be out a while and thenback in baseball.

Ozzie, no, for all the reasons stated plus his comments after the 1994 lock out will be never forgotten by some

vegyrex
10-20-2003, 12:30 AM
I hope Gammons is right.

JRIG
10-20-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by vegyrex
I hope Gammons is right.

Don't hold your breath on that one.

Brian26
10-20-2003, 12:52 AM
That would be nice. I like Ozzie's enthusiasm, but I can't turn down Cito's playoff record.

That Toronto team was loaded though. I think Andy the Clown could have managed them to at least one of those World Series titles.

crector
10-20-2003, 01:03 AM
Ozzie, no, for all the reasons stated plus his comments after the 1994 lock out will be never forgotten by some [/B]

What were those comments? I don't recall him saying anything about it.

Mammoo
10-20-2003, 01:31 AM
In that case, give it to Ozzie! :smile:

NewyorkSoxFan
10-20-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
That Toronto team was loaded though. I think Andy the Clown could have managed them to at least one of those World Series titles.

If you remember a guy by the name of Joe Torre had been out of managing for quite awhile, and took over for a young talented manager named Buck Showalter. Everybody asked the same questions about Joe, well I think we all know what he has done.

You have to have talent to win so don't hold that against him, I also think that by having a more experienced manager also implies that we won't be revisiting "the kids can play..part Deux".
I would love to have Ozzie on the staff, but I want a seasoned manager on my bench.

NYSF

soxtalker
10-20-2003, 09:39 AM
Regardless of the relative merits of Gaston or Guillen, I've had the feeling for the past week or two that this is shaping up to be the choice with perhaps the former being KW's favorite and the latter JR's. Of course, there is virtually no information coming out, so it is all conjecture. They certainly contrast in many ways.

1951Campbell
10-20-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Brian26

Hey, the Braves have been loaded for the better part of a decade (or longer) and what do they have to show for it?

Procol Harum
10-20-2003, 10:27 AM
I like Ozzie but I'm tired of experimenting with the likes of Lamont, Bevington and American Gandhi. Gaston brings some experience to the table and has a track record to boot. If the Sox players know what's good for themselves they might even be willing to listen to him.

On the point of Gaston coaching a loaded Toronto team--a lot of guys have been handed talent-laden teams and couldn't win it all. Why, many of us still carry around the odd notion that the 2001-2003 White Sox had enough talent to have won the Central Division--if the team could have been managed and handled correctly on and off the field. But it didn't happen. Someone who has proven that they can get it done has a lot going for them in my view of the universe.

cwsox
10-20-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by crector
What were those comments? I don't recall him saying anything about it.

Ozzie said, about fans not showing up after the lockout ended, that "we don't need the fans."

Iwritecode
10-20-2003, 10:50 AM
Hey, the Braves have been loaded for the better part of a decade (or longer) and what do they have to show for it?

A hell of a lot more than the Sox do...