PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent Compensation

BamaDoc
10-19-2003, 08:53 PM
Last year we let Durham and Lofton go for prospects as it was thought compensation would be eliminated but I believe it was not eliminated. Is it in place for this year and where do our potential free agents rank?

Daver
10-19-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by BamaDoc
Last year we let Durham and Lofton go for prospects as it was thought compensation would be eliminated but I believe it was not eliminated. Is it in place for this year and where do our potential free agents rank?

It is still in place,the Sox would get two picks should Colon leave for FA,we would get one pick for Everett if he is not re-signed,the same for Robbie Alomar,I don't think the Sox would get a pick if Frank Thomas chose to leave because of the clause in his contract,I would have to research that a little further.Valentin would get the Sox a second round pick if he left,as would Loaiza.

BamaDoc
10-19-2003, 09:24 PM
I assume Colon is a first round and supplemental. What about Everett and Alomar.

Daver
10-19-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by BamaDoc
I assume Colon is a first round and supplemental. What about Everett and Alomar.

Both would be supplemental,Everett would be a first round sandwich pick and Alomar a second round one.

MRKARNO
10-19-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Both would be supplemental,Everett would be a first round sandwich pick and Alomar a second round one.

Well hopefully we'll be keeping Alomar and Colon so this wont be an issue! Everett is a lost cause.

Randar68
10-19-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Well hopefully we'll be keeping Alomar and Colon so this wont be an issue! Everett is a lost cause.

Agree, but also remember that no compensation is rewarded unless the player is offerred arbitration by the club. In Carl's case, I HIGHLY doubt that would happen unless there was a "Handshake agreement" with KW that he would decline it (uncommon, but not unheard-of).

Daver
10-19-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Agree, but also remember that no compensation is rewarded unless the player is offerred arbitration by the club. In Carl's case, I HIGHLY doubt that would happen unless there was a "Handshake agreement" with KW that he would decline it (uncommon, but not unheard-of).

I would not be surprised if Carl signed with the Sox before the arbitration deadline,he wants to win,and there are not a lot of teams in that position that would chase him.

Randar68
10-19-2003, 10:06 PM
I would not be surprised if Carl signed with the Sox before the arbitration deadline,he wants to win,and there are not a lot of teams in that position that would chase him.

And play where? Lord save us if we spend millions on another pylon in the OF!

Might be the weakest all-around 30 million dollar OF in the history of baseball.

MRKARNO
10-19-2003, 10:18 PM
I dont see Carl coming back for more than 4-5 mil. But if somehow KW manages to Keep everett, alomar, Gordon, colon and Valentin, and sign Maggs to a long term deal in the process, KW should win the 2004 executive of the year award before the season even starts.

But it's probably a pipe dream to think that all of the key components of last year's team will be back barring a paycut from multiple players

Hangar18
10-20-2003, 08:38 AM
Im still Pissed we moved Ray Durham for NOTHING, then, have no suitable Replacement for the number of Roles he Played, which all led to us making more trades to cover the holes.
Because we didnt Keep Ray Durham, the following happened.
Kept DAngelo Jimenez, l
Lost Royce Ring

rmusacch
10-20-2003, 04:54 PM
It is still in place,the Sox would get two picks should Colon leave for FA,we would get one pick for Everett if he is not re-signed,the same for Robbie Alomar,I don't think the Sox would get a pick if Frank Thomas chose to leave because of the clause in his contract,I would have to research that a little further.Valentin would get the Sox a second round pick if he left,as would Loaiza.

Where did you get the classifications Daver?

Daver
10-20-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
Where did you get the classifications Daver?

I'm speculating,based on career numbers,and the numbers put up last season.