PDA

View Full Version : Cub fans don't rip on Sox fans?

Chicago Derby
10-19-2003, 08:10 PM
My friends who are true Cub fans hold this belief that Cub fans don't dig in on Sox fans, but the opposite is true. I've heard that from both true and bandwagon Cubbies. So, of course, no matter what objections or evidence I raise, they still believe that Cub fans are above ripping on Sox fans. I give up. Anyone else have this problem?

Chicago Derby

Viva Magglio
10-19-2003, 08:14 PM
That is a myth, plain and simple. The difference between us and them is that they don't have the courage to admit that they hate our guts.

Chicago Derby
10-19-2003, 08:47 PM
Good point!

Dadawg_77
10-19-2003, 08:50 PM
Hey I was down at my buddies, Sunday Ticket, who live around Clark and Cornelia. There were several venders selling Cubs gear, and every one had several items saying Sox suck.

naprvllesoxfan
10-19-2003, 08:54 PM
The Sunday after the Cubs clinched their division, I saw alot of fans in the bleachers and on the street shouting "Sox Suck". I have to wonder why after all the years of not winning a division they weren't shouting "we're Number 1". I guess they would rather make digs at us. This is why I couldn't root the Cubs, just because it was a Chicago team. The way the series ended couldn't have been more fitting for the Cubs and their fans!!

VeeckAsInWreck
10-19-2003, 08:55 PM
Derby,

I totally agree with Viva on this one. Thing is, we (Sox fans) have been kicked around by the media and society in general. So when the "Cubbies" are attempting to win it all, we want to see them fail. When we are in the playoffs, they (Cub fans) wish us luck because, let's face it, they're idiots who are willing to share in someone else's victory. Poor saps!

We'll test this theory out next fall when the White Sox win it all.

naprvllesoxfan
10-19-2003, 09:02 PM
Somehow I just don't see any Cub fans I know rooting for the White Sox, just because it's Chicago. It will be so interesting to see if the media is as hyped up about the Sox when we get to playoffs.

Kilroy
10-19-2003, 10:42 PM
Many people got on my case saying that I was wrong for not cheering the Scrubs. That since the Sox were out of it, I should cheer for the other team from my city. I have never seen it that way. From my point of view, the Cubs are the equivalent of any other team, be it NYY, Minn, or Cle. They are not MY team. The fact that they play in the same city has nothing to do with it. They may as well play in Siberia as far as I'm concerned. Mind you, the same people, supposed Bear fans, cheered for the Packers when they played the Pats in the Superbowl a few years back, "because they were from the midwest". Bull****. There are some lines that you just don't cross. Bear fans don't cheer for the Packers -- ever. I think that the Sox/Cubs line is the same way.

And don't believe that media crap about Sox fans not cheering the Cubs this post season when Cub fans cheered the Sox a few years back. I know more than a few that told me "hope you lose", and called me up to congratulate me on the Sox getting swept. The difference is that when the Sox got eliminated, the all the media wanted to tell us was "See? Told Ya." But the've been licking the Cubs asses for three weeks, and are having trouble giving up the practice. So, they fall back on old reliable, rip the Sox to make the Cubs/Cub fans look/feel better. Insufferable pricks.

vegyrex
10-19-2003, 11:43 PM
I don't think I ever met a Flub fan that didn't rip the Sox or me for being a Sox fan.

white sox bill
10-20-2003, 06:19 AM
How many times have we heard this from flub fans: "Well, if the Sox were in it, I'd be pulling for them!"

I'm skeptical, I just think its flub fans trying to garnish more bandwagoning for THEIR team!(in other words, the guilt trip) I'd doubt they'd be pulling for us.

Hangar18
10-20-2003, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by naprvllesoxfan
Somehow I just don't see any Cub fans I know rooting for the White Sox, just because it's Chicago. It will be so interesting to see if the media is as hyped up about the Sox when we get to playoffs.

Seems to me, and Im being truthful here, that Cub Fans only
hate us, because we hate them, and have been jealous of the
small successes we have. I think, If we removed the MEDIA
from this Equation, we might find that they may not hate us
as much as we think.

HOWEVER, it will take an Outside Media source from another city, to come to Chicago and DIG UP THE REAL STORY, before the Local Media would acknowledge they dont like us either. Thats the Lazy Chicago Media for you.
Anyone note how that little scamp, Darren Baker predicted a
Cub World Series t this year? and how the media wasnt lighting him up for that? The Media quietly changed the subject, and now little chump says NEXT YEAR, the cubs go to the world series.
Moses needs to quit using that kid as a security blanket
and take some heat

ChiSoxBobette
10-20-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Chicago Derby
My friends who are true Cub fans hold this belief that Cub fans don't dig in on Sox fans, but the opposite is true. I've heard that from both true and bandwagon Cubbies. So, of course, no matter what objections or evidence I raise, they still believe that Cub fans are above ripping on Sox fans. I give up. Anyone else have this problem?

Chicago Derby
Yeah , well if thats true my brother-in-laws are'nt true flub fans because while the flubs were making all of flubdom mouths water I was recieving messages on my home phone from both of them telling me all about the flubs right up until whatever inning in the 7th game the Marlins finally took control. Also whenever the flubs make the playoffs flub fans think everyone should be pulling for the scrubs but I know for a fact those years the White Sox were in the playoffs flub fans I've known for years all of a sudden became Oriole fans, Blue Jay fans & Mariners fans . So as I've said in the past and was told by my father true White Sox fans can not be scrub fans also you're either one or the other.

GO WHITE SOX!

soxruleEP
10-20-2003, 09:10 AM
I wouldn't want any SCrubs fans pulling for the Sox.

"If you are lukewarm, I will vomit you out."--somewhere in the Bible, I can't recall where.

GoSox2K3
10-20-2003, 10:09 AM
That is a total lie. Just about every Cub fan I have met rips on the Sox and NEVER roots for them. I hear this from people who say they "don't like baseball, but like the Cubs" and from people who just moved to Chicago and suddenly join the Cubbie Cult.

All my life, I have heard many Cub fan say to me, "The Sox? Why would you root for the Sox?" as if I had just said something revolting.

The fact that Cub fans are now ripping on Sox fans for not wanting the Cubs to win gets to the heart of why I hate the Cubs. THEIR FANS ARE ALL CRYBABIES :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:
They never have any respect for the Sox and yet expect Sox fans to kiss their a**.

Risk
10-20-2003, 11:22 AM
Having lots of friends who are Flub fans (also misguided), I know first hand that these numb skulls would never cheer for the Sox. In fact, many dirty things have been said about our team and fellow Sox fans. Everytime they try to bring that up, howver, I can always refute their arguments. See, the advantage we have as being Sox fans is that no matter how bad things are for us, the Flub fans have outpaced us in terms of out and out stupidity and classlessness.

For example:

1) "Sox fans are punks who do nothing but fight in the stands!!"

Well, you can see fights at any sporting events. But at least when you go to the Cell it is an actual fight between real men, and not girls slapping at each other.

2) "Sox fans attacked the opposing teams first base coach!!!"

Counter-point: 1995 Cub fan attacks Randy Myers, one of their own players.

2000 Cub fan steals Dodger catcher Chad Kreuter's hat, touching off a brawl in the stands.

2003 Cub fan and moron extrodinaire Eric Dybas attacks umpire Laz Diaz. Promptly getting a royal beat down. Like many other Cub fans, he attacks a man from behind, yet ends up on the receiving end of a whopping.

3) "Frank Thomas is a selfish, arrogant crybaby!!"

Counter-point: See Sammie Sosa

And we can go on and on, but since we are intelligent, knowlegable Sox fans (not only in baseball, but also in common sense), we don't have to--we will always have more ammo to fire at them than they ever will at us. Besides, who cares if some middle aged crybabies think that we are bad fans. Lest we forget how they have treated a totally innocent person who did nothing wrong (ie the Northside Nerd, Bartman)

Risk

LuvSox
10-20-2003, 11:56 AM
Like I care when some dingus Cubbie fan rips on us, saying we are trailer trash and such. This ain't no trailer I'm typing from, my misguided-drunken-self abusing-loser friends.

DrCrawdad
10-20-2003, 01:09 PM
And if you really want to see racism in a ballpark go to Comiskey...It may be in a black neighborhood, but the fans aren't...BTW, does anyone doubt that Disco Inferno Night had racial undertones? - Michael W. Gillman aka "Bubba Mike"

And then you can go back to following the White Sox for 6 games a year.
It's interesting how they can barely get 10,000 people a game any other time
of the year except when they're playing the Cubs. Then again, most White Sox
fans wouldn't give a **** if their team won the World Series. They'd only
care if they won the season series against the Cubs. - Patrick Michael LINK (http://www.google.com/groups?selm=UbxT8.50346%24781.8556%40news1.central .cox.net&output=gplain)

They also wish they had a park as great as ours, neighborhoods as nice as the North Side's are, and IQ's above 90... Sox fans are morons. - Altasrecrd LINK (http://www.google.com/groups?selm=20020630191207.21160.00000933%40mb-cs.aol.com&output=gplain)

Al, to drown out a sox fan would merely mean speaking in complete sentences,
not grunting between words and not preening one's neighbor for parasites.
For fun we could have their fans pronounce "Thirty third street" or
"viaduct". - "Former Ranger"LINK (http://www.google.com/groups?selm=K3U83.483%24el4.18832%40ord-read.news.verio.net&output=gplain)

Excuse me while I wipe all the slime from all the Sox fans off me. Jeez, two
more days of this... I find Sox fans to be sore *winners* when they beat the Cubs. It's almost as if they are happier that the Cubs lose, than that they win. - Al Yellon LINK (http://www.google.com/groups?selm=bdigs3%24t2eme%241%40ID-173352.news.dfncis.de&output=gplain)

Search of "inferiority complex" renders many finds, here is one example:

A 2nd rate baseball "fan" of the Second City's second team apparently couldn't control his hysterically out of control inferiority complex about being from the South Side and decided to vandalize Wrigley.

Only a Sox loser would ever plan such a thing. - Altasrecrd LINK (http://www.google.com/groups?selm=20020716061104.01781.00000136%40mb-mw.aol.com&output=gplain
)

santo=dorf
10-20-2003, 04:12 PM
When I see fights at a Sox game is either because of too much alcohol or Cub fans. Anyone here go to the Sox-Royals game on Monday August 4th (The one where Ghandi pull Garland after 78 pitches and let Gordon throw 42). There were two fights in the upper deck that were started by (drunk) Cub fans. I sat in the bleachers and I could hear "cubs suck" throughout the whole ordeal and I saw one of them punch a security guard (I thought we were the violent ones?). In the bleachers we had a kid who kept holding up a sign that said "I'd rather be at Wrigley!" Everyone in our section gave him an ear-lashing, and eventually someone ripped up the sign. After that he started to cry in Darren Baker fashion as if we are supposed to feel sorry for him. Please Cub fans, act like human beings and baseball fans when you come to my ballpark.

Chicago Derby
10-20-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
That is a total lie. Just about every Cub fan I have met rips on the Sox and NEVER roots for them. I hear this from people who say they "don't like baseball, but like the Cubs" and from people who just moved to Chicago and suddenly join the Cubbie Cult.

All my life, I have heard many Cub fan say to me, "The Sox? Why would you root for the Sox?" as if I had just said something revolting.

The fact that Cub fans are now ripping on Sox fans for not wanting the Cubs to win gets to the heart of why I hate the Cubs. THEIR FANS ARE ALL CRYBABIES :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:
They never have any respect for the Sox and yet expect Sox fans to kiss their a**.

I couldn't have said it better myself....excellent post.

CD

TornLabrum
10-20-2003, 09:34 PM
I don't remember if I posted this here or elsewhere, but one of our faculty members is a huge Cubs fan. As the Cubs were beginning to collapse, she asked me why Sox fans hated the Cubs so much.

I tried to explain to her many of the reasons we've all posted on these boards for ages, but she would have none of it. Naturally she reached the conclusion that Sox fan are jealous! That just had to be it!

When I asked her why I should be jealous of about a half dozen seasons over .500 for the past 30 years and no back-to-back winning seasons since Nixon was President, she had her proof of my jealousy.

The only think I can think of is that Cubs fans somehow have come to earth in some kind of dimensional warp from the Bizarro World.

TDog
10-21-2003, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

The only think I can think of is that Cubs fans somehow have come to earth in some kind of dimensional warp from the Bizarro World.

After starting a new job this summer, I went out to lunch with some of my co-workers. My new boss, a big baseball fan from Texas, decided to mix it up by pointing out that I was a Sox fan (I was hired despite pointing out that WSI was my favorite Web site) when we already had a Cubs fan in the office.

The Cubs fan announced that his great-grandfather or something had attended the first Cubs game ever played. When this co-worker was a straight-A student, he explained, he got free tickets to a Sox game, and his father made him tear them up, refusing to allow them in the house.

I told him I thought Cubbie-love was caused by lead paint chips in the crib and noted that I was more open-minded, having been to three games at Wrigley field when I was a kid. (My grandfather dragged me to two.) It all must have been very entertaining for those at the table, 3,000 miles from Chicago. But I wasn't the aggressor. Like most Sox fans, I've had to put up with crap from Cubs fans for as long as I remember.

MiamiSpartan1
10-21-2003, 04:07 PM
My oldeer sister (who is whiney Cub fan) was trying to tell me that the Cub fans would be cheering for the Sox if it had been reversed...I asked her when she started taking crack, and if Mom and Dad knew....
Please....They'd be pulling for whomever we were playing against...

Dub25
10-21-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Like I care when some dingus Cubbie fan rips on us, saying we are trailer trash and such. This ain't no trailer I'm typing from, my misguided-drunken-self abusing-loser friends.

Don't forget. We all have mullets to. Nevermind thai I probably see more mullets on the GN cameras at the urinal than I do at the cell.

i_luv_jgarland
10-21-2003, 05:15 PM
I had to educate some of my coworkers on the sox/cubs background regarding the media etc and why i would NEVER root for the cubs.
by the end of the playoffs i had some of these "cubs fans" admitting that the media wouldnt care as much if the sox were in it... and neither would they!

and as a side note... i cant believe those quotes pulled from the cubs site :angry:

santo=dorf
10-21-2003, 05:20 PM
You know how Cub fans are always trying to poke fun at us for having empty seats? The other day I pointed out to my Cub loving roommate that the Sox were outdrawing the Cubs up until 1994, he replied "That's only because you guys have more seats than us. Imagine how many more people the Cubs would have it they had the same capacity." So first the make fun of us for having the upper deck empty, then they cry it's no fair if the sox have a higher attendance because those same upper deck seats are filled. GOD I HATE THE TRIBUNE AND LOYAL CUB FANS!!

MiamiSpartan1
10-21-2003, 06:16 PM
This is what happens when one team is owned by the city's largest newspaper, who also happens to own a national cable super channel...pretty amazing, ain't it?

AsInWreck
10-21-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I think, If we removed the MEDIA
from this Equation, we might find that they may not hate us
as much as we think.....

.....Anyone note how that little scamp, Darren Baker predicted a
Cub World Series t this year? and how the media wasnt lighting him up for that?

The cubs ARE the media in chicago, though, so you can't really tke them out of the equation.

You can't be seriously suggesting the media should have "lit up" a six year old.

DrCrawdad
10-21-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by i_luv_jgarland
I had to educate some of my coworkers on the sox/cubs background regarding the media etc and why i would NEVER root for the cubs.
by the end of the playoffs i had some of these "cubs fans" admitting that the media wouldnt care as much if the sox were in it... and neither would they!

and as a side note... i cant believe those quotes pulled from the cubs site :angry:

Those are just a few examples. You may find it of interest to note that I only used quotes from the "esteemed" regulars, not the other numbskulls.

i_luv_jgarland
10-22-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Those are just a few examples. You may find it of interest to note that I only used quotes from the "esteemed" regulars, not the other numbskulls.

what website is that?

DrCrawdad
10-23-2003, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by i_luv_jgarland
what website is that?

Not a website, it's Newsgroup. Although I did provide links to the Google Groups, where you can search Newsgroups or view current posts.

Cubs Newsgroup viewed thru Google (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=alt.sports.baseball.chicago-cubs)

White Sox Newsgroup viewed thru Google (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=alt.sports.baseball.chi-whitesox)