PDA

View Full Version : Kurkjian already predicts Cubs-Sox 2004 World Series

HawkDJ
10-19-2003, 02:45 PM
In a short little column in ESPN the Magazine Tim Kurkjian pedicts that if the Sox do the following things they will make the World Series in 2004:
-Re-sign Bartolo Colon
-Continued dominance of Loaiza
-Bring back Roberto Alomar
-Play Joe Borchard in center
-Hire Ozzie Guillen as manager

RedPinStripes
10-19-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ
In a short little column in ESPN the Magazine Tim Kurkjian pedicts that if the Sox do the following things they will make the World Series in 2004:
-Re-sign Bartolo Colon

He needs to be tarred and feathered for saying that.

OEO Magglio
10-19-2003, 03:03 PM
He needs to be tarred and feathered for saying that.
I second that.

RKMeibalane
10-19-2003, 05:59 PM
Kurkjan's an idiot. His predicition will not happen, for two reasons:

1. The Sox have to do much more than just those things to even have a chance to reach the World Series next season.

2. This year was a fluke. The Cubs aren't going to be in the post-season for at least another decade.

Daver
10-19-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

2. This year was a fluke. The Cubs aren't going to be in the post-season for at least another decade.

With the starting pitching they have I would not be to sure of that.

jabrch
10-19-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Kurkjan's an idiot. His predicition will not happen, for two reasons:

1. The Sox have to do much more than just those things to even have a chance to reach the World Series next season.

I agree with Daver. Unless they screw it up huge and let Wood or Prior escape, I don't see them not being in contention in the NL Central for a while. They have a very good 1-4 rotation. Let's be honest about it. They have a decent lineup. They did it this year without Patterson most of the season, he will only help when he comes back. They will have Aramis R all season. That will certainly help them over the crud they had at 3B. and I am sure they will spend some money in the offseason to shore up their Pen.

Realistically, I hate to say it, but I think they have a better chance of winning it all next year than we do. We have a lot of work to do to fix this roster given the salary constraints and some of the contracts we are stuck with. They have no bad contracts that they are stuck with. Their worst two contracts are Sosa at 17 and Alou at 9 - but those two are productive.

I hope we win the WS over the Cubs in 4 games in 2004. I just think we have a lot of work to do in order to get there.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-19-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Daver
With the starting pitching they have I would not be to sure of that.

Indeed! It really depends on whether they can keep "Pryor" and "Woods" healthy. Given how "in Dusty we Trusty" overused them this season, it's not too far-fetched to think the Flubs will screw up and fall back beneath .500 all over again.

:bandance:

MRKARNO
10-19-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Indeed! It really depends on whether they can keep "Pryor" and "Woods" healthy. Given how "in Dusty we Trusty" overused them this season, it's not too far-fetched to think the Flubs will screw up and fall back beneath .500 all over again.

I would be surprised if Prior and/or Wood dont need some type of surgery related to overuse by the end of next year.

1951Campbell
10-19-2003, 08:39 PM
Mark the tape:

If there's a Sox/Cubs WS next year, I'll make the 2 hour drive to DC next year, go to the Lincoln Memorial, and take a dump on Lincoln's lap. You can all wave to me when I get arrested.

Not worried. Ain't gonna happen.

Dadawg_77
10-19-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
Mark the tape:

If there's a Sox/Cubs WS next year, I'll make the 2 hour drive to DC next year, go to the Lincoln Memorial, and take a dump on Lincoln's lap. You can all wave to me when I get arrested.

Why? If there is a Cub/Sox WS I am getting the riot gear ready.

Daver
10-19-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

Just come to my house,I have enough artillery to hold off the National Guard.I should have my gattling gun working by then too.

:)

SoxFan76
10-19-2003, 09:13 PM
i dont know if i could handle the stress of a cubs sox series. i almost had a heart attack with the cubs in the NLCS.

crector
10-19-2003, 09:21 PM
Realistically, I hate to say it, but I think they have a better chance of winning it all next year than we do. We have a lot of work to do to fix this roster given the salary constraints and some of the contracts we are stuck with. They have no bad contracts that they are stuck with. Their worst two contracts are Sosa at 17 and Alou at 9 - but those two are productive.

You don't understand the predicament that the Cubs are in do you? They will never amount to anything until the year 2045 at the earliest for the following reasons:

The Curse of John McGraw (The "Bonehead Merkle Play")

The Curse of the Billy Goat

The Curse of the Black Cat

And most horrifically of all........

The Curse Of Having Kenny Lofton On Your Team

Please don't waste any time worrying over the Cubs, unless you don't think that the Sox will win a World Series by 2045 first.

jeremyb1
10-19-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ
-Re-sign Bartolo Colon

Yeah, nothing says world series like paying several million for a second basemen with below average productoin and replacing Carl Everett's production with a guy that can barely hit .250 in AAA.

THE_HOOTER
10-19-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

He over-used them to the tune of one series win, and almost a World Series appearance.

Sometimes I wonder what you want to win or just bitch---who gives a **** about the pitch count, win the gasme.

Me, I would have went with what got me there.

When it comes to the Sox, we never even got there.

1951Campbell
10-19-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

:hizzoner

"Did someone say riot? Hey...the police aren't here to create disorder, they're here to preserve disorder."

:D:

Lip Man 1
10-19-2003, 10:35 PM
-Re-sign Bartolo Colon

That's a lot of "if's" don't you think?????

Lip

1951Campbell
10-19-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
-Re-sign Bartolo Colon

That's a lot of "if's" don't you think?????

Lip

Yep. I'd file that under "if 'if and buts' were nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas."

Plus Borchard sucks.

vegyrex
10-19-2003, 11:37 PM
A Cub Sox series in '04?

Sox over Cubs in 6 :D:

Hokiesox
10-20-2003, 08:15 AM
Mark the tape:

Please don't, my place of employment is directly 2.2 miles downwind of the lincoln memorial. Do it on a weekend.

Hangar18
10-20-2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by jabrch

I hope we win the WS over the Cubs in 4 games in 2004. I just think we have a lot of work to do in order to get there.

Yes, the cubs have it MUCH EASIER, being in the same division with THREE Potential 100 Loss Teams (Pirates/Reds/Brewers).
The NL Central is about getting yourself to .500, Fatten up on the AAA players the other teams are running out there, then Get to the Playoffs on a Yearly Basis. The SOX will have to do it the Old-Fashioned way, Get Good Players, Pay for People, and Play Good baseball to overtake the Many Good teams In our Division and League, so yeah, off the bat, we have it tougher, but That would make the SOX that much better

bobj4400
10-20-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Yes, the cubs have it MUCH EASIER, being in the same division with THREE Potential 100 Loss Teams (Pirates/Reds/Brewers).
The NL Central is about getting yourself to .500, Fatten up on the AAA players the other teams are running out there, then Get to the Playoffs on a Yearly Basis. The SOX will have to do it the Old-Fashioned way, Get Good Players, Pay for People, and Play Good baseball to overtake the Many Good teams In our Division and League, so yeah, off the bat, we have it tougher, but That would make the SOX that much better

Did you mean to put that in teal?? The NL Central is pretty bad, but the AL Central is ten times bigger of a joke. Not even my White Sox fan blinders can make an argument for the ALC being better than the NLC. Tigers, Indians, Royals??? All three teams suck. The Twins are a scrappy team, but built on a low payroll with an owner that will never break the bank. At least the NLC has STL and Houston who will occasionally compete with (and sometimes outspend) the real Evil Empire.

Hangar18
10-20-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by bobj4400
..... but the AL Central is ten times bigger of a joke. Not even my White Sox fan blinders can make an argument for the ALC being better than the NLC. Tigers, Indians, Royals??? All three teams suck. The Twins are a scrappy team, but built on a low payroll with an owner that will never break the bank. At least the NLC has STL and Houston who will occasionally compete with (and sometimes outspend) the real Evil Empire.

Actually, the NL Comedy Central IS THE BIGGEST JOKE IN BASEBALL. The Tigers were Bad on a Historical Level, but they wont be this bad next year. The Indians are going to be a really good team shortly, mark that down. We've seen KC play some Scrappy ball...WITHOUT PITCHING. Theyre young pitching steps up even just a Bit, and they'll give us as much trouble as they did Early in the Year. The Twins are REAL. We know that. Hell, If SELIG wasnt so Conflicted-With-His-Interests, Priors a TWIN and all of MEDIA would be talking about Bud Seligs Successful and REAL "Small Market Renaissance". Dumbasses at FOX would be moaning about Florida and Twins in the Series, but Financially
the Game could take the FIRST STEPS towards Addressing the Salary Cap. The NL Central featured 2 teams that had FIRE SALES and ran theyre AA teams out there for the Final Months of the Season. How is that Good For Baseball ???

xil357
10-20-2003, 02:53 PM
Yep. I'd file that under "if 'if and buts' were nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas."

Plus Borchard sucks.

I don't find a Sox WS in 2004 with those stipulations that far-fetched.

Even if Borchard hits #9 and hits .215 with 10 homers in 2004, his increased range in CF gets to more balls hit toward the gaps, which reduces the number of runs that opponents score. This helps all the pitchers.

Putting money aside for a moment, benching or dumping Konerko and letting Frank play first for 4-5 games per week greatly helps the offense. Re-signing Everett to DH helps even more. Batting Lee #2 for a full season will result in him putting up All-Star numbers. Crede and Olivo will improve, helping the run production. Garland will continue to improve.

The Sox aren't that far away from the post-season.

Think of it like math:
Take the 2003 Sox,
subtract Konerko,
play Frank at 1B,
DH Everett,
add Borchard in CF, batting ninth,
add a new manager who won't tinker with the lineup,
= 2004 AL Central champs.

To me the only questions are: who is the manager, and can Loaiza somewhat replicate his 2003 season?

kittle42
10-20-2003, 03:16 PM
A close friend who speaks on occasion to Crazy Carl says that Dinosaur, Jr. doesn't want to DH.

Hangar18
10-20-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
A close friend who speaks on occasion to Crazy Carl says that Dinosaur, Jr. doesn't want to DH.

Really? heh heh.... thats funny :smile:
I wonder if he'd stay, considering the team

maurice
10-20-2003, 04:32 PM
While the AL Central had the worst single team, the NL Central is weaker overall.

The cubs had the worst record of any division winner, yet three teams in the NL Central still finished 13+ games out of first. Two of those teams purged their rosters during the season. Milwaukee tried, but nobody wanted most of their dog players. Pittsburgh traded half of their veterans to a division rival. Cincinnati sold its players to the highest $$$ bidder, forgoing talent in return for cash. The cubs failed to get either Palmero or Lowell, and as a result (IIRC) no NL Central team acquired a very good player to compete for the stretch run. Four NL Central teams gave up 796+ runs, all while facing lineups featuring pitchers instead of DHs. By comparision, ZERO teams in the NL East gave up that many runs, and only only two in the AL Central (all subject to the DH) gave up that many. Half of the NL Central currently has no hope of competing for the division title next season. Only one team in the AL Central has essentially no shot. (Three-of-five teams competed this season; Cleveland had the fifth best staff in the AL and has some very promising position players.)

Foulke You
10-20-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by bobj4400
Did you mean to put that in teal?? The NL Central is pretty bad, but the AL Central is ten times bigger of a joke. Not even my White Sox fan blinders can make an argument for the ALC being better than the NLC. Tigers, Indians, Royals??? All three teams suck. The Twins are a scrappy team, but built on a low payroll with an owner that will never break the bank. At least the NLC has STL and Houston who will occasionally compete with (and sometimes outspend) the real Evil Empire.

While I won't go as far to say that the AL Central is a tough division, it IS tougher than the super weak NL Central. The Royals have a young up and coming team that threatened for a division title. The Twins have been pretty good the last few years also. The Indians are probably two or three years away from being a contender and the Tigers were woeful. So basically the AL Central has one sure 100 loss team in the Tigers and a probable 80-90 loss team in the Indians.

The NL Central has 6 teams with 3 being potential 100 loss teams in the Reds, Pirates, and Brewers. The Pirates finished with 87 losses and that was with Ramirez, Simon, and Lofton for half a season. The Reds had 93 losses and they jettisoned half their team at the all star break. The Brewers had 94 losses and Richie Sexson's name has been thrown around in a possible trade for prospects not to mention Royce Clayton is still under contract by them. All three of these NL Central teams could stand to be worse than they were last year and all three will be worse than any team in the AL Central except the Tigers. Combine this with the fact that it only took 88 wins to seal the NL Central division this year and unfortunately you have a recipe for future Flub postseason berths. However, I wouldn't rule out next year being one of those years where the Flubs tank and lose 85+ games after a playoff berth the previous year.

bobj4400
10-20-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Actually, the NL Comedy Central IS THE BIGGEST JOKE IN BASEBALL. The Tigers were Bad on a Historical Level, but they wont be this bad next year. The Indians are going to be a really good team shortly, mark that down. We've seen KC play some Scrappy ball...WITHOUT PITCHING. Theyre young pitching steps up even just a Bit, and they'll give us as much trouble as they did Early in the Year. The Twins are REAL. We know that. Hell, If SELIG wasnt so Conflicted-With-His-Interests, Priors a TWIN and all of MEDIA would be talking about Bud Seligs Successful and REAL "Small Market Renaissance". Dumbasses at FOX would be moaning about Florida and Twins in the Series, but Financially
the Game could take the FIRST STEPS towards Addressing the Salary Cap. The NL Central featured 2 teams that had FIRE SALES and ran theyre AA teams out there for the Final Months of the Season. How is that Good For Baseball ???

Not saying it is good for baseball at all. The Twins are real b/c they play in our division. If they played in the East or the West, they would get killed and struggle to win 81 games. The Yankees have proved that to us over the last two years. I do agree that in a perfect world, Prior is a Twin, David Ortiz doesnt leave for Boston, and the Twins go out and add a quality player or two this off season rather than lose Pierzynski and a few others. Then my point is not valid, but we have to live in the real world. KC, Cleveland, and Detroit will not pony up the 80-90 million payroll to guarantee competing regularly. Yeah, every year there is a shot in the dark team (Florida, Anaheim, Oakland, etc.) but do you want to really going into each year hoping this is our year to be the aberration? All I am saying is that the NL Central (Cubs, STL, Hou) has more clubs willing to have a competitive payroll than the AL Central, thus I think it is a stronger division overall.

pudge
10-20-2003, 06:08 PM
Mark the tape:

I'm just dying of laughter imagining this.