PDA

View Full Version : Any mention of Sox?

soxtalker
10-19-2003, 09:47 AM
I sat down with my Sunday Tribune today, and, as usual, turned to the sports section in anticipation of some discussion of the Sox manager decision and possible player changes. Well, there were a number of baseball articles, but the only "Sox" that I could see mentioned were of the carmine variety (as Hawk would say). Strange. OK, I fire up the internet and check the bookmarks that I have set for Sox articles in the 4 major daily papers in the area. Nothing. Did I miss something?

Now, I have not been a basher of the news media. I don't buy into conspiracy theories about the Tribune giving the Cubs favorable treatment. And I do realize that the Sox and KW, in general and specifically in the managerial case, don't help matters when they refuse to let any information out. But I would have thought that there would be some discussion today. The Sunday sports sections usually provide an opportunity for sportwriters to talk about rumors, guesses, etc.

MetalliSox
10-19-2003, 09:52 AM
Maybe there were no articles on the Sox search for a manager because there was no news about the Sox search for a manager?

TornLabrum
10-19-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip
Maybe there were no articles on the Sox search for a manager because there was no news about the Sox search for a manager?

Rumors and speculation should be left to web site message boards. Newspapers should print real news. When there isn't any, they should print nothing.

soxtalker
10-19-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Rumors and speculation should be left to web site message boards. Newspapers should print real news. When there isn't any, they should print nothing.

Good point. And to be frank, I am growing weary of the articles speculating which candidate might be in the lead, but are really devoid of any real information. Having said that, I would have liked to read some articles in which the sportswriters were discussing what holes the Sox need to fill on their roster.

Lip Man 1
10-19-2003, 11:44 AM
In my opinion it's far too early to even speculate of what holes the Sox have to fill.

The Sox free agents are waiting to see who the new manager is before they realistically see if they want to return, the budget for the season hasn't been set yet and the biggest variable of all, whether the Yankees win the World Series has yet to be determined. If the Yankees lose to Florida, Steinbrenner will have a fit, gut the team and pay whatever it takes to grab every top free agent available. (Which means he'll up the 40 million the Sox have offered to Colon...)

Lip

batmanZoSo
10-19-2003, 12:05 PM
Soxtalker,

What conspiracy theory? It's a fact they give the cubs favorable treatment. That's fine. In my opinion, the Tribune is the best paper in the world--for, say, lining the floor of a dog pen or acting as a makeshift blanket for the homeless.

Why someone would ever want to fumble around with that big, folded awkward piece of trash is beyond me. I won't even get into the actual content of it.

batmanZoSo
10-19-2003, 12:07 PM
Both papers are a wastland for Sox information during the winter.

Before we discuss what holes need to be filled, we gotta find out what holes we're gonna have.

hold2dibber
10-19-2003, 12:40 PM
Although there is no "new" news about the Sox (as far as I know) to report, the Sunday paper is a perfect spot for analysis or other opinion about where the Sox stand, where they should be headed, what the Cubs success means for the Sox, who the Sox should consider for the managerial opening, what the Sox are doing to the Cell, etc., etc. There is plenty to talk about.

maurice
10-20-2003, 11:38 AM
Agree that there appears to be no Sox news to report, primarily because the Sox are being extremely tight-lipped about their manager search. However, there's no cub news either, and that didn't stop the trib from running numerous cub articles (including the standard, gratuitous Sox-fan-bashing segment) in the TEMPO section today.

Hangar18
10-20-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by maurice
Agree that there appears to be no Sox news to report, primarily because the Sox are being extremely tight-lipped about their manager search. However, there's no cub news either, and that didn't stop the trib from running numerous cub articles (including the standard, gratuitous Sox-fan-bashing segment) in the TEMPO section today.

yep. Thats why I cancelled my subscription to that
Propoganda Trash they call a Newspaper. Im still waiting
for a story from them on the "Disturbance" caused by fans
vandalizing property on Sheffield Ave after the Game. Their
own Photographer took Pictures, but those were Quickly
taken down, and the Gallery Editor got Yelled at....