PDA

View Full Version : Overlooked managerial candidate

gosox41
10-19-2003, 01:12 AM
One name that I'm surprised the Sox aren't looking into is Jim Fregosi. While he has his faults like every other candidate, he's an ex-player who brings with a quiet intensity while being known as a guy who can motivate. I don't know how he is strategy wise, but I'm surprised the Sox aren't looking into him.

Bob

batmanZoSo
10-19-2003, 01:15 AM
He's just another good ol' boy. Let some other goof owner sign him. He never won a d### thing.

winodj
10-19-2003, 01:27 AM
If the Marlins win three more in this WS, Torre may be available. Of course there IS Don Zimmer :?:

Brian26
10-19-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
He's just another good ol' boy. Let some other goof owner sign him. He never won a d### thing.

Hmm. He took the Phillies to the World Series in 1993. That's something that hasn't happened here in 44 years. Fregosi's actually well-respected. He's good for a veteran team with his fiery attitude when its needed. That's not a terrible choice at all. Actually, I seem to recall his name being mentioned earlier this year...and KW did play for him the late 80's here.

npdempse
10-19-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Hmm. He took the Phillies to the World Series in 1993. That's something that hasn't happened here in 44 years. Fregosi's actually well-respected. He's good for a veteran team with his fiery attitude when its needed. That's not a terrible choice at all. Actually, I seem to recall his name being mentioned earlier this year...and KW did play for him the late 80's here.

He was definitely mentioned mid-season when Jerry was on the hot seat. Since he's not coming up now, I'm assuming he doesn't want the job or management isn't interested based on some kind of reasoning, sound or schizo.

RedPinStripes
10-19-2003, 04:35 PM
He was the Sox manager in the mid-late 80's . didnt work then. I doubt JR would take him on again.

Brian26
10-19-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
He was the Sox manager in the mid-late 80's . didnt work then. I doubt JR would take him on again.

The reason he left at the time had less to do with him and more to do with the kind of talent that was left on the team. I don't think Himes thought Fregosi would be a good fit in the rebuilding process going on, all necessary because of Harrelson's destruction of the organization from the major league club all the way through the minor leagues. Fregosi was actually a very good manager for that team in late '86 and throughout '87, which still had a nice mix of veterans and younger guys. Once they decided to trade Baines and focus on bringing up all the young guys, it was time for Fregosi to move on. Torborg turned out to be a good mentor from '89 to '91.