PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Stadium

Huisj
10-18-2003, 09:54 PM
Why is this stadium considered to be so great? When they show the overhead shot from behind home plate, it looks like there is so much foul ground behind the plate that the seats back there are a mile away.

batmanZoSo
10-18-2003, 10:06 PM
There is a lot of foul ground behind the plate, but it's magnified when viewed overhead because there is absolutely no foul ground anywhere else. It's all angled sharply. Great sightlines in that place. A lot better than ours.

And dont forget how much the UD there hangs over, so it's really not that far back and I would wager the Cell's UD is even farther back.

You trade closeness to the field for visibility in ballparks. People complain that the Cell is all too far back from the field, but they don't know what they're talking about. If you move our UD inward, you wouldn't be able to see a lot of the field (unless you made the pitch even greater...and we all know that's not an option).

Max Power
10-19-2003, 11:10 AM
I like how the 1st deck at Yankee Stadium (more or less the club level at Comiskey, without the skyboxes above and below it) is tucked underneath the 2nd deck. Making the 2nd deck closer to the field. Although trading closeness for visibility- as the previous poster said- would have to be accounted for. I wonder how the 2nd deck at YS way out by the foul poles compares to the same location at Comiskey? Cause I think the view from the UD at Comiskey between 1st and 3rd is fine, after that it gets bad.

Lip Man 1
10-19-2003, 11:46 AM
Yankee Stadium is "so great" because of 29 World Series appearances. It's part of an overwhelming dominance in a sport.

U.S. Cellular Comiskey Field Park is on the otherhand.....

Lip

batmanZoSo
10-19-2003, 11:56 AM
Lip Man,

Yeah, that's part of it. Yankee stadium doesn't have what Fenway or Wrigley have. It's not about bizarre dimensions or anything like that. What other team has ivy on the wall? What other team has a 40 foot wall in left field? I always like the home run porches and how it makes hitters look like gods hitting it up there. It does have some of thoses quirks, but it's mostly the history like you said.

I always thought the Cell resembled Yankee Stadium and I'm sure they had it in mind when they designed it. In fact when I first saw it when I was 10, I thought they'd made a complete duplicate. The blue seats, the white scoreboard structure all around, the black batters eye, the way the upper deck curves around the foul poles (of course not nearly as close as YS). Ours is like a sterile re-creation of it.

voodoochile
10-19-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Lip Man,

Yeah, that's part of it. Yankee stadium doesn't have what Fenway or Wrigley have. It's not about bizarre dimensions or anything like that. What other team has ivy on the wall? What other team has a 40 foot wall in left field? I always like the home run porches and how it makes hitters look like gods hitting it up there. It does have some of thoses quirks, but it's mostly the history like you said.

I always thought the Cell resembled Yankee Stadium and I'm sure they had it in mind when they designed it. In fact when I first saw it when I was 10, I thought they'd made a complete duplicate. The blue seats, the white scoreboard structure all around, the black batters eye, the way the upper deck curves around the foul poles (of course not nearly as close as YS). Ours is like a sterile re-creation of it.

Yeah, there have been times when I have been watching in bars and caught a Yankee highlight and thought I was watching a Sox game briefly. The similarities are stunning.

TornLabrum
10-19-2003, 12:05 PM
Lip Man,

Comiskey Park II was based mainly on Dodger Stadium and Kaufmann Stadium.]

MRKARNO
10-19-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Comiskey Park II was based mainly on Dodger Stadium and Kaufmann Stadium.]

Well it sure as heck looks a lot more like Yankee Stadium! Blue seats, the batters eye used to look exactly the same at the two parks. That same steep upper deck, the white structure in the outfield, the blue outfield fence.

Kaufmann stadium the cell is not, neither is is like Dodger stadium and it's four decks behind home plate. Whether the designers intended this or not, the cell is definately most like jankee stadium. Maybe it wont in a few years, but for now it does.

dickallen15
10-19-2003, 01:37 PM
Yankee Stadium is a dump, I've been there. It is no match for US Cellular Field.

greenpeach
10-19-2003, 08:39 PM
You're right. Yankee Stadium is in dire of another renovation as is the surrounding neighborhood. However, the Yankee experience revolves around monument park & the rich stadium history rather than the simple aesthetics of the park.

batmanZoSo
10-19-2003, 09:12 PM
I don't see how it compares to Dodger Stadium that much. That place has four levels behind home plate. If anything that place was modeled after YS, the way it used to be with the 3 foot fences down the lines, then separate bleachers around the outfield.

Aesthetically, the Cell resembles YS the most.

Structurally, the Cell is nearly identical to Kaufman. The difference is that the main bowl here has that middle tier sticking out, but if you took that away, it's the same. About the same size lower level rows-wise, three story mezzanine level and about the same upper deck pitch. They're both "smooth" with no angles along the baselines and similar sightlines. We could (extensively) renovate the Cell to be an exact duplicate of Kaufman if we were so inclined. You're right.

But we can see how those similarities don't necessarily go a long way in the way two parks look. Kaufman has a weird upper deck that slopes down to a point at the top rows and doesn't wrap around the foul pole. It just ends even with it. And of course the grass and fountains beyond the wall. They have a beautiful backdrop of hills and such in KC, we could never have that with the RT homes and Dan Ryan. That would be funny...kind of oxymoronic. There's a great example of architecture that blends in with its surroundings, Kaufman stadium.

Max Power
10-19-2003, 09:40 PM

They have a beautiful backdrop of hills and such in KC, we could never have that with the RT homes and Dan Ryan.

There could have been a beautiful backdrop of downtown if home plate were put South of where it is. Not that I'd want fountains or crap like that- though I think it looks nice in KC. Heck, I prefer enclosed stadiums because I'm there for a baseball game not a picture. But for some people, especially casual fans, the Loop backdrop could be very appealing.
Why did they put home plate where it is? I remember when New Comiskey was opening that something said that since the plate is where it is that the Sox have played baseball at 35th and Shields since 1910. While that is obviously true, is that the real reason they put it there? Pretty weak.

NewyorkSoxFan
10-20-2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by dickallen15
Yankee Stadium is a dump, I've been there. It is no match for US Cellular Field.

Living in NY, and going to alot of Yankee games is that although the stadium is old and needs some work, I like it much better than Wrigley. Also it is very similar to the Cell, but I think outside of the mystique that surrounds it, the fans make Yankee stadium cool. I was at a playoff game in the upper deck (which by the way seemed very steep to me) and the crowd was so into the game, that place really came alive.

I really think thats what our park is missing, we so infrequently have good crowds that you don't build that reputation of it being a place to go. Back in the early 90's when you went to the Cell to see the Indians, or the Yankees, it was incredible.

NYSF

Jess1210
10-20-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Huisj

When they show the overhead shot from behind home plate, it looks like there is so much foul ground behind the plate that the seats back there are a mile away .

Funny Huisj, I thought the exact same thing at one point when I saw an overhead view of the stadium last night...ESP in the family, maybe??

:)

Can't wait to see the how the renovations turn out at the Cell. I'm sure they would look especially fine from an overhead camera shot on FOX in October!

Foulke You
10-20-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Max Power
Why did they put home plate where it is? I remember when New Comiskey was opening that something said that since the plate is where it is that the Sox have played baseball at 35th and Shields since 1910. While that is obviously true, is that the real reason they put it there? Pretty weak.

During the last home night game telecast at Old Comiskey Park, Tom Paciorek made mention of the fact that New Comiskey Park architects studied wind patterns and weather issues because White Sox management desired a hitters park instead of the deadball era pitcher's park that was Old Comiskey. They felt that since the wind blew in much of the time at Old Comiskey, if they faced the park the other direction, the wind would be constantly blowing out. The intended result never happened because New Comiskey has always been more of a pitcher's park than a hitter's park. The winds tend to swirl around and knock down a lot of balls at New Comiskey. The wind doesn't blow straight out that much which is what was intended. Even with the fences brought in slightly in 2001, the ball still tends to die in the power alleys and CF (see 2003 Home Run Derby). Skyline views and aesthetic appeal weren't considered as much as the long ball was.

Another reason for why the park sits where it does is that it was designed for Addison, IL and was jammed and shoehorned in to 35th and Shields to fit the Chicago street grid but that is another story...

TDog
10-21-2003, 02:51 AM
Any Cubs fan could tell you why Yankee Stadium is so special, (almost one-tenth as special as Wrigley).

Babe Ruth built it. In the off-season I think. Between hot-dog binges.

steff
10-21-2003, 07:57 AM
The history is great.. but the joint sucks. It's literally falling apart.