PDA

View Full Version : I'm convinced now: Cito is our man


vegyrex
10-18-2003, 01:00 PM
The guy had four divison wins and TWO world series wins. None of the other front runners can match Gaston's record. Plus, this article I came across. Its from a student newspaper written shortly after Gaston was fired by the Jays.


The Gazette: Student Newspaper of the University of Western Ontario (http://www.gazette.uwo.ca/1997/September/26/Sports3.htm)


And this article about Gaston wanting to manage the White Sox. Makes no mention about him wanting too much money.

Cito sits and waits (http://cnews.canoe.ca/Slam031003/mlb_cws-sun.html)

doogiec
10-18-2003, 01:50 PM
I'd have to say, of all the real candidates I've heard he's the only one with a proven track record winning when given the talent.

The other candidates seem like retread losers, except Guillen and Backman who have no real track record.

Realist
10-18-2003, 05:14 PM
I was leaning towards Backman cause he's hard nosed and I think the team is full of a bunch of head cases, but these two articles have me believing Gaston can get the job done.

Maybe a psychiatrist as a bench coach along with Gaston would be the answer. Then again, I'd hate to lose Nossek.

MRKARNO
10-18-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Realist
I was leaning towards Backman cause he's hard nosed and I think the team is full of a bunch of head cases, but these two articles have me believing Gaston can get the job done.

Maybe a psychiatrist as a bench coach along with Gaston would be the answer. Then again, I'd hate to lose Nossek.

Of all of the candidates, the one I want least is Backman. No FAs would be willing to come here, and the players we have already hate him.

Realist
10-18-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Of all of the candidates, the one I want least is Backman. No FAs would be willing to come here, and the players we have already hate him.

Good point about the FAs and I didn't realise he was that despised by the current Sox players.

SoxxoS
10-18-2003, 05:57 PM
Uncle Jerry doesn't sign free agents...remember?

We trade for guys midseason and make the other team pay salaries...and bare our farm system at the same time.

Daver
10-18-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Uncle Jerry doesn't sign free agents...remember?

We trade for guys midseason and make the other team pay salaries...and bare our farm system at the same time.

I can't think of one minor leaguer traded at midseason that I will sorely miss.

Chisoxfn
10-18-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Daver
I can't think of one minor leaguer traded at midseason that I will sorely miss.

Rupe is the only one that I will really miss.

SoxxoS
10-18-2003, 06:40 PM
I think we will miss Webster. Say what you want about his numbers, but I liked his athletic ability. We need to wait a while before we evaluate, anyway...

That isn't the point anyway, the point is that Jerry doesn't sign free agents, we trade for players.

And I do miss Kip Wells. And I will probably miss Royce Ring and Rupe too.

batmanZoSo
10-18-2003, 10:09 PM
Why do all the Sox players hate Wally Backman? How do they know him enough to hate him?

What team does he coach down there and for how long?

gosox41
10-19-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I think we will miss Webster. Say what you want about his numbers, but I liked his athletic ability. We need to wait a while before we evaluate, anyway...

That isn't the point anyway, the point is that Jerry doesn't sign free agents, we trade for players.

And I do miss Kip Wells. And I will probably miss Royce Ring and Rupe too.

Webster may be a great athlete but he's been in the minors for 4 years. It's getting to be the time to put up or shut up. Ring will probably be a good reliever, but I'd trade a minor league reliever for an everyday major leaguer any day.

Bob