PDA

View Full Version : Kazuo Matsui to Play in MLB in 2004

Clarkdog
10-17-2003, 03:09 PM
As reported by the Seattle Post-Intellegencer and Kyodo News

Matsui, 27, met with officials of the Seibu Lions and told them of his desire to play in the United States. The seven-time Japanese All-Star, batted .305 with 33 homers and 84 RBIs this season. It has been speculated that the Mariners, Yankees, Mets and Angels, among others, are interested in signing Matsui.

Go get him Kenny. Hope you enjoy raw fish.

StillMissOzzie
10-17-2003, 03:29 PM
Is this guy any relation to the Matsui on the Yankmees?

:gulp:
SMO

Iwritecode
10-17-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
Is this guy any relation to the Matsui on the Yankmees?

:gulp:
SMO

IIRC, this was discussed when he went to the Yankees. Matsui is a common Asian name. Like Johnson or Smith over here...

Hangar18
10-17-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Clarkdog

Matsui, 27, met with officials of the Seibu Lions and told them of his desire to play in the United States. The seven-time Japanese All-Star, batted .305 with 33 homers and 84 RBIs this season. It has been speculated that the Mariners, Yankees, Mets and Angels, among others, are interested in signing Matsui.

Man...Can you see numbers like this AT THE TOP OF OUR LINEUP?
THIS GUY COULD BE EVERYTHING WEVE BEEN LOOKING FOR
in regards to:
* Top of the order/leadoff guy
* Speed
* LeftHanded
* Someone to Offset Cubpoganda Campaign Next Yr.
* Steals Bases

This is Pretty much a NO-BRAINER. KAZ should be in a SOX UNIFORM. and give him no. 7. Think that would look good on him

reilly
10-17-2003, 05:54 PM
Wasn't Matsui a fullback for the '85 Bears?

MRKARNO
10-17-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
This is Pretty much a NO-BRAINER. KAZ should be in a SOX UNIFORM. and give him no. 7. Think that would look good on him

:jerry

"Hey! That's my number!"

oheeoh...magglio
10-17-2003, 05:58 PM
I don't know much about this guy, sounds like he's good though. Do the White Sox have a realistic shot of signing him?

MRKARNO
10-17-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by oheeoh...magglio
Do the White Sox have a realistic shot of signing him?

Probably not. Definately dont get your hopes up. Last time we were after a highly sought-after shortstop we underbid by about 100 mil (A-rod)

oheeoh...magglio
10-17-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Probably not. Definately dont get your hopes up. Last time we were after a highly sought-after shortstop we underbid by about 100 mil (A-rod)

Didn't think that the White Sox would have a chance with him being highly sought-after, but hey I can dream I guess. :(:

DrCrawdad
10-17-2003, 06:38 PM
Anyone who's attended games when the Yankees were here this season or the Mariners knows that there are plenty of Asians, most likely Japanese, here in the Chicago-area who seem to like baseball. Go out on a limb White Sox, bring this guy on the Sox, if he's a good player. It'll be good for attendance. Good for PR and most importantly good for the team.

BTW did anyone hear the Harry Caray impersonator who called the SCORE this morning when he said, "Hideki Matsui spelled backwards is Honda Civic."

:D:

MRKARNO
10-17-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
BTW did anyone hear the Harry Caray impersonator who called the SCORE this morning when he said, "Hideki Matsui spelled backwards is Honda Civic."

Yeah that was pretty funny

john2499
10-17-2003, 06:49 PM
I agree with that. Any kind of Marketing , P.R. would be nice. Might even get few more games on ESPN.

SoxxoS
10-17-2003, 07:03 PM
Tell you one thing about the Yankees Matsui...He is CLUTCH...

The guy get a hit everytime I see him with RISP.

oheeoh...magglio
10-17-2003, 07:21 PM
Anyone who's attended games when the Yankees were here this season or the Mariners knows that there are plenty of Asians, most likely Japanese, here in the Chicago-area who seem to like baseball. Go out on a limb White Sox, bring this guy on the Sox, if he's a good player. It'll be good for attendance. Good for PR and most importantly good for the team.

LOL yeah funny stuff. I think Bernstein said "that guy sounded like someone doing a bad impression of Will Ferell's bad impression of Harry Carey," and I thought that was an accurate analysis. :D:

adsit
10-17-2003, 10:46 PM

Well, why not... we used to have a Dotson... <rimshot>

Matsui was apparently a guest of King George's for one of the first ALCS games. So the games for this guy have already begun to be played.

As much as I'd like to see him on the Sox, it will only happen in an alternate universe where Elvis is still alive perhaps. We're easily going to be outbid if this guy decides he's coming (and from what I read just now in the Japan Times (http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getsp.pl5?sb20031018a3.htm), it's still an IF). Yankees and Mets especially have money to burn. Reinsy's like Scrooge McDuck... he splashes around on the pile of bills in his money bin, but none of that is actually going to be SPENT...

konerkopeachy
10-17-2003, 11:59 PM
Anyone who's attended games when the Yankees were here this season or the Mariners knows that there are plenty of Asians, most likely Japanese, here in the Chicago-area who seem to like baseball.

Here's WSI's resident Asian Sox Fan. :D

gosox41
10-18-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Clarkdog

It's not happening. The Sox won't go after him. It would make too much sense to find a SS who can hit and field and draw from the Asian crowd. The Sox don't make sense.

Any word on what the bidding is going to be?

Bob

minastirith67
10-18-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
It's not happening. The Sox won't go after him. It would make too much sense to find a SS who can hit and field and draw from the Asian crowd. The Sox don't make sense.

Bob

Don't be too harsh...you don't think that KW is going to bring what it takes next year to at least make the playoffs if not go farther? Due to his bold moves during the season I would think that he is up to the task of making this team a competitor with the proper manager, be it Ozzie Guillen or whoever. Let's have some faith in this club, shall we?

Win1ForMe
10-18-2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by gosox41

Bob

I've read $6M per for 3 years. Sounds affordable to me. Good thing is that the Yankees won't be in on the bidding as Matsui is only willing to play SS. I doubt he'll settle for 2B.

DrCrawdad
10-18-2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by oheeoh...magglio
LOL yeah funny stuff. I think Bernstein said "that guy sounded like someone doing a bad impression of Will Ferell's bad impression of Harry Carey," and I thought that was an accurate analysis. :D:

Agreed. However I still thought it was funny.

DrCrawdad
10-18-2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by konerkopeachy
Here's WSI's resident Asian Sox Fan. :D

The Sox should make me the Asian Pacific Rim Scout. I mean it woked out so well for the Cubbies. They signed future HOF 1st baseman Bok Choi and the Osprey killer.

You laugh but just wait and watch the Cubbies sign a good Japanese player. Then the Japanese in the area will flock to The Shrine and the Sox miss another opportunity to build an undeveloped fan base.

cornball
10-18-2003, 11:59 AM
I read somewhere that the Nomar may sign out west with the Dodgers or Angels as a FA. With that said, Boston would be in the bidding which would be the same as the Yankees.

I would love to see it, particularly if he is as good as they say.

wassagstdu
10-18-2003, 12:06 PM
In addition to money, the Yankees and the Mets also have shortstops . My money is on the Dodgers, but if the Sox could get him I would be overjoyed.