PDA

View Full Version : Jim Rome on the Cubs Collapse

crector
10-17-2003, 08:36 AM

http://www.jimrome.com/home/article/article.html

quoth Romey:

As for Dusty Baker, he’s a great manager of personnel. But throughout his career he’s made questionable moves and very important times in the playoffs. Last night, he left an obviously tiring Kerry Wood and it came back to bite him in the ass. What was then a 2-run deficit turned into a 4-run deficit.

Game over.

Dusty Baker is a great manager of talent but if you need him to make a decision late in a game to help you win, he’s not that guy. Managing personnel is one thing, managing a game is another. You don’t leave Kerry Wood out there to give up 7 earned runs in a Game 7. Get him the hell out of there. No pitcher should be out there that long. It wasn’t his night and he was tiring.

Obviously Dusty didn’t have any faith in his bullpen, but someone coming out of the bully fresh is a better option than a fatigued pitcher who’s not fooling anyone. Not only that, you don’t pitch to the #8 batter with the pitcher coming up and you don’t have anyone warming up in the bullpen.

After the game, Dusty said he was ‘disappointed’, yet the foundation was laid.

Yes and no. Dusty and the Cubs will NEVER have a better look at a World Series. You’re up 3-1 and 3-2 with two games at home with his two horses. You won’t get a better look and you have to finish whenever you get a look like that.

doublem23
10-17-2003, 08:44 AM
What? That's blasphemy... In Dusty they trusty.

Probably why they'll be watching the Marlins on Saturday.

Brian26
10-17-2003, 09:09 AM
It's really very simple.

Anyone who says "wait until next year" or "this team is young" or "the foundation has been laid" is full of bs. Nothing is guaranteed in baseball. This was a golden opportunity for that franchise. They were 5 outs away from finally getting to the mountaintop. They had it in their grasp. They could taste it. And then it was pulled right out from underneath them.

Don't be fooled into thinking this is easily repeatable. They probably won't even make the playoffs next year. They may not make the NLCS for another decade...or two. Prior is a horse. Patterson will be a decent player for them. Zambrano looks like he could be solid, too. The rest of that team is a bunch of overacheiving guys and players who luckily stayed healthy this year. It won't happen again. Don't take the media drivel line about how young this team is. The '89 Cubs were young, too. Fact is, this '03 Cubs team ISN'T that young.

They can try to rationalize it all they want, but it's the biggest choke in history. They should be ashamed.

And, the genius of Dusty should have had Zambrano and Clement up in the bullpen. Period. You don't bring Dave Veres into game 7 of the NLCS. EVER. It's Game 7...you lose and you go home for the winter. Don't worry about tomorrow or next year. You bring your best studs into the game to pitch. I said it in the official game thread as it was happening. You don't worry about hurting Dave Veres' feelings. You don't worry if Zambrano's arm is going to fall off tomorrow. It's Game 7 and you have a chance to do something that hasn't happened in 58 years. Manage for right now.

poorme
10-17-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Anyone who says "wait until next year" or "this team is young" or "the foundation has been laid" is full of bs. Nothing is guaranteed in baseball. This was a golden opportunity for that franchise. They were 5 outs away from finally getting to the mountaintop. They had it in their grasp. They could taste it. And then it was pulled right out from underneath them.

Don't be fooled into thinking this is easily repeatable. They probably won't even make the playoffs next year.

I concur. I learned that in a hurry watching the 1984 White Sox.

ssang
10-17-2003, 09:37 AM
Here's the thing about Dusty. He is great for the clubhouse and the team's overall atmospehere. As far as in-game situations go.......he's below average to bad! I first realized this during last year's world sereis. He made some awful, Jerry Manuel-like decisions in that game. I mean they were down 3 runs in the 7th inning with 2 men on and he takes out his long ball threat (Reggie Sanders) and puts in, I think Armando Rios!! That's just one miserable example of Dusty's bonehead coaching mistakes.

As soon as the Cubs hired him and the idiot (95 % are idiots) Cub fans thought he was the greatest manager in baseball history. NONE of these morons had a shred of a clue as to how Dusty managed ont he field. All they knew is that he was popular and had success with the Giants.

Now don't get me wrong, he does help a ballclub overall. Just look at the Cubs success this season. But in the end Dusty continues to screw up. Cubs fans would NEVER notice this even if it hit them square in the face!

Also, does anyone else notice that Dusty says a lot of dumb, ignorant things to the media??? He trys to pass himself as a knowledgeable man but in reality he's a friggin' moron! Just remember what he said about black and latino players being better acclimated to playing in the heat!?!? Then he tried to justify his ignorance by claiming his mom was a history teacher and that's what she told him. I guess Mrs. baker is a complete moron as well. It must be genetic!

kittle42
10-17-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
And, the genius of Dusty should have had Zambrano and Clement up in the bullpen. Period. You don't bring Dave Veres into game 7 of the NLCS. EVER.

This is exactly what I was talking about with my Cub fan friends. The Red Sox in Game 5 of the ALDS brought in Lowe to close. The Yankees brought Mussina and Wells out of the pen yesterday. The Marlins used Beckett, Penny, and Willis as relievers in games 6 and 7. The Yankes used Rivera for 3 innings last night. The Red Sox brought in Wakefield. A few of these didn't work so well, but they were all likely the best moves given the situation.

But in Dusty one can trusty he'll bring in Dave Veres and use Borowski only in the 8th or 9th and only for an inning. Nice managing, toothpick boy.

idseer
10-17-2003, 10:10 AM
rome is a horse's behind.

Scotty347
10-17-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by poorme
I concur. I learned that in a hurry watching the 1984 White Sox.

Or how about the 2000 White Sox. Wasn't that supposed to just be the beginning also?

fquaye149
10-17-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by idseer

rather, he is NOT a horse's behind

thepaulbowski
10-17-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by idseer

He's a opinionated-straight shooter, I'll take that over many of other media personalities out there. Sometimes the hearing the truth is worse than being lied to.

daveeym
10-17-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
He's a opinionated-straight shooter, I'll take that over many of other media personalities out there. Sometimes the hearing the truth is worse than being lied to.

He may be straight shooting but he's still a horses behind. He's brutal i can't get him off the tube or radio fast enough if I hear him.

He's grating and he's often way off base, but you're right he is straight shooting.

poorme
10-17-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Scotty347
Or how about the 2000 White Sox. Wasn't that supposed to just be the beginning also?

Yeah, but in 84 we added Tom Seaver to a pitching staff that already had 2 20 game winners.

StillMissOzzie
10-17-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Scotty347

But the 2000 Sox DID make the playoffs, at least. On the other hand the 2001, 2002, or 2003 teams were all disappointing underachievers.

:gulp:
SMO

MRKARNO
10-17-2003, 04:15 PM
http://www.dustybaker.com/images/DustyHomeUni%20small.jpg

"Give 'em the old, ra-zzle da-zzle. Raz-zle Daz-zle 'em"

doublem23
10-17-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

Ha ha ha ha ha ha... Can we make that a tag? ****in' hilarious.

Huisj
10-17-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by daveeym
He may be straight shooting but he's still a horses behind. He's brutal i can't get him off the tube or radio fast enough if I hear him.

He's grating and he's often way off base, but you're right he is straight shooting.

I used to hate rome. I thought he was a jerk who just tried to piss people off all the time for the heck of it, and maybe at one point, that opinion was justified.

Then this summer I worked a construction job, and the only sports talk station we got had Rome on in the afternoon, so me and my buddy listened to him almost everyday for the whole summer. He sure changed my opinion.

Compared to the other worthless dribble that was on this station all the time (and most of sports talk in general), his show was quality. It was entertaining (which is probably because it really tends to be more of an entertainment show than just pure sports talk), he was funny, and he made sense. He's consistent. He's a baseball freak. He's an incredible interviewer. It got to the point in the summer when I couldn't wait until noon so that I Rome would be on for the next three hours. Now I even listen to him in the car on my way home from class.

MRKARNO
10-17-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Ha ha ha ha ha ha... Can we make that a tag? ****in' hilarious.

Courtesy of www.dustybaker.com

TDog
10-17-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

Whenever life hands you a difficult decision -- or even a no-brainer, like, "Should I pay my taxes on time? -- think of this image and ask yourself, "what would Dusty do?"

1951Campbell
10-17-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by TDog
"what would Dusty do?"

Leave his ace in for too long.

doogiec
10-18-2003, 09:37 AM
Despite a decent run this year, Baker's overal postseason record is 17-19 in games and 3-4 in series.

And SF was very active in getting additional talent for the stretch run for him (including the White Flag trade).

AsInWreck
10-18-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by ssang

Also, does anyone else notice that Dusty says a lot of dumb, ignorant things to the media??? He trys to pass himself as a knowledgeable man but in reality he's a friggin' moron! Just remember what he said about black and latino players being better acclimated to playing in the heat!?!?

Hey, I don't know about black players, but if you're from venzuela or the dominican rep, where it is hotter 90% of the time than the hottest day of the year in, say, iowa, I have to a agree he's probably better acclimated to heat. It's not racial, though, I'd say if a white kid grew up in that climate he'd be better acclimated, too.

fquaye149
10-19-2003, 01:16 AM
actually, many scholars believe that archetypically longer limbs on african-americans and hispanics increase the surface area on the body and allow heat to be released through pores more easily....so baker's suggestion may be grounded in truth...although surely he didn't know that

winodj
10-19-2003, 01:23 AM
Rome is right here. This was the Cubs best shot for the NLCS in a long time I think. They could be competitive in their division next year, but I think they did overacheive a bit. If the Astros or Cards make the right moves in the offseason, 88 wins will not put you in the post season.

And Rome is a tool. I hate his radio show. 20 second pauses are annoying as hell.