PDA

View Full Version : What's Wrong With the Yankees?

santo=dorf
10-17-2003, 12:05 AM
I don't understand why people wold rather root for the BlowSox AKA New England Cubs over the Yanks. What did the Yanks do to us lately? We beat THEIR PLAYOFF ROSTER 2/3 twice (I'm so sick of hearing the Cub Fans talk about taking 2/3 from the Yanks even though that team in June is nothing compare to the current team. Thank you very much Juan Acevedo.) I hate seeing these new franchises win championships before us! Also, if the N.L wins, Cub fans will be talking about how much better the N.L is than the A.L., and they'll automatically assume they would beat the Yankees if the Marlins pull it off. Sox fans are usually pissed in October, and everybody gets pissed when the Yanks win. We are so used to being in the minority, so why don't Just keep pulling for an established team if our Sox are out of it? I refuse to pull for the Blowsox even if they are an established team because they cry about not winning despite going to a few world series, and spending big bucks on free agents. How come everybody talks about how great a Red Sox-Cubs world series would be rather than a White Sox-Cubs world series? Another reason why I hate the National perspective on our White Sox.

VeeckAsInWreck
10-17-2003, 12:11 AM
I can't speak for everyone here, but I don't think people were really rooting for either the "New England Cubs" or "King George's Men"
I can tell you that a good 99.9% of us are rooting for the Marlins to take it all. So what if an NL team wins the World Series, do the Cubs get anything for it? Of course not. If some idiot gives you some crap, just remind him/her that the NL pennant is in Miami this year.

soxruleEP
10-17-2003, 02:48 PM
Why would I root against the Yankees?

They have ruined baseball's competitive balance and thrown the pay scale out of whack.

They are insufferable and their fans are insufferable. They believe that everyone is envious of the Yankees' success as if they are successful for any reason but Steinbrenner's ability to buy any player he wants.

As long as the Yankees make more money from one television contract that many of the other teams from all sources of income, it will be like this.

The only way to return competitive balance to baseball is to SHARE ALL LOCAL TV MONEY. Then the only difference will be their stadium revenues--and those are directly tied to team success. This has worked for football.

I know I have said this before only to be told "it will never happen," but why the other owners don't stand up to King George is beyond me.

LASOXFAN
10-18-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by soxruleEP

They have ruined baseball's competitive balance and thrown the pay scale out of whack.

They are insufferable and their fans are insufferable. They believe that everyone is envious of the Yankees' success as if they are successful for any reason but Steinbrenner's ability to buy any player he wants.

As long as the Yankees make more money from one television contract that many of the other teams from all sources of income, it will be like this.

The only way to return competitive balance to baseball is to SHARE ALL LOCAL TV MONEY. Then the only difference will be their stadium revenues--and those are directly tied to team success. This has worked for football.

I know I have said this before only to be told "it will never happen," but why the other owners don't stand up to King George is beyond me.

ditto ditto ditto

A Yankee fan who boasts about their success is like Bill Gates bragging that his house is nicer than yours.

Their payroll this year is $180 million. More than 3x that of the White Sox.

Until MLB falls in step with the NFL and the NBA, this inequity will continue and we'll be forced every fall to watch NY play and hope that a team can somehow upset them. I find this very unappealing.

adsit
10-18-2003, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by soxruleEP

Good points here, but have you considered how much money the White Sox make from broadcast? It's surprisingly a lot of money, one of the top four or five in MLB, and roughly equal to what we make off the gate. We'd stand to lose, at least short-term, if we had to pool that.

I do agree, though, that a real revenue-sharing plan has to come into play (unlike the current one by which certain owners, like coughTribuneahem, can underreport revenue through neat tricks like scalping their own tickets, or kicking back undervalued broadcast rights contracts to their own band-WaGoN. Steinbrenner, with the YES network, does this too).

Unfortunately, I think a few of the small market teams are going to go bankrupt before what's left of MLB stands up to George and demands fiduciary parity.

oldcomiskey
10-18-2003, 09:14 AM
I live in the southeast--meaning Braves and Cardinals fan are everywhere----I always say the AL teams are superior because MLB screws the AL every year by making the pitcher bat in the NL city--but the AL wins anyway....When was the last time the National League as a league won back to back world series--Im thinking 1980--81-82