PDA

View Full Version : 2 storied (at least in their own minds) franchises: CURSED!

ChiSox14305635
10-17-2003, 12:22 AM
The Billy Goat/Bambino Curses live on!

Yanks/Marlins WS.

soxfan26
10-17-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
The Billy Goat/Bambino Curses live on!

Yanks/Marlins WS.

That might be worth a laugh, but 44 years and counting sure feels like a curse.

What kind of beer got dumped on Al Smith's head in Game 2 of the series?

We could call it the curse of the beer shower or something catchy like that.

Another October, another great Yankee team. My nightmare will never end.

VeeckAsInWreck
10-17-2003, 12:58 AM
We don't need a curse. Sox fans acknowledge when the team is bad, that is what sets us apart from the Cubs and Red Sox "fans"

We need KW to make the moves this offseason, and we will show those "cursed" idiots how to win.

Chicago White Sox in 2004.

dllrbll7
10-17-2003, 01:00 AM
I really didnt believe in any of the curses till tuesday night and the boston one till tonight really. I feel bad for boston but man have i never been so happy for the cubs

VeeckAsInWreck
10-17-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by dllrbll7
I really didnt believe in any of the curses till tuesday night and the boston one till tonight really. I feel bad for boston but man have i never been so happy for the cubs

Don't let it fool you, those teams just choked.

Oakland choked to the Red Sox in the ALDS. Did anyone say they have a "Bash Brothers" curse? Of course not. People there acknowledge a choke job when they see one. Curses are ways to deflect blame away from the team.

ChiSox14305635
10-17-2003, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
We don't need a curse. Sox fans acknowledge when the team is bad, that is what sets us apart from the Cubs and Red Sox "fans"

We need KW to make the moves this offseason, and we will show those "cursed" idiots how to win.

Chicago White Sox in 2004.

I like the sound of that! :)

Jerko
10-17-2003, 10:28 AM
I know this curse thing is BS, but at the end of the game last night a Yankee fan held up a sign "Which Curse is Worse" and you can see a little, pathetic, red and blue "C" on the bottom corner of the sign. Hilarious. I am so happy both "cursed" teams blew it, even though that is just one more year of listening to them whine about it. Better to listen to that than to listen to what we WOULD have heard had the Red Sox or Flubs actually won it.

Iwritecode
10-17-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
I know this curse thing is BS, but at the end of the game last night a Yankee fan held up a sign "Which Curse is Worse" and you can see a little, pathetic, red and blue "C" on the bottom corner of the sign. Hilarious. I am so happy both "cursed" teams blew it, even though that is just one more year of listening to them whine about it. Better to listen to that than to listen to what we WOULD have heard had the Red Sox or Flubs actually won it.

You know what's even funnier? At least one Cubs fan that I know was rooting for the Red Sox to win. (I guess those "cursed" fans have to stick together.) Anyway, since the Yankees won and everyone hates the Yankees, he's now forced to root for the team that broke Chicago's heart just a few days ago.

I believe this is payback for when I had to witness him jumping around like schoolgirl when the Cubs won their second game in the Atlanta series...

Woo hoo! Go fish!

:D:

GoSox2K3
10-17-2003, 11:05 AM
All that curse talk is total BS. How many winning seasons have the Cubs had in the last 35 or 40? Something like 7? Including having a 95 and 97 loss season in the last few years. That's not a curse, that's just SUCKING. Cub fans continue to support this medicority by showing up to Wrigley and not paying attention to the game. Cub fans love using the curse as an EXCUSE for their team just being terrible most seasons.

So the Cubs collapsed against the Marlins - BIG DEAL! The A's collapsed in the ALDS 4 years in a row. I bet no one in the Bay Area is writing sappy poetry about the curse of the A's. Part of the Cub's problem is that they were so overhyped in during this postseason that fans were convinced they already won the pennant and that Prior and Wood would walk on water in the NLCS.

GoSox2K3
10-17-2003, 11:13 AM
I am much more likely to buy into the Red Sox curse talk than the Cubs curse. At least the Red Sox field a competitive team year in and year out. They aren't losing 90 games a year in 7 out of 10 seasons like the Cubs.

I have to feel a little sorry for the Red Sox against the Evil Empire Yankees. The Yanks can just bury their opponents in high prices free agents. Who were the heros in yesterday's pennant winner? Giambi and Boone. Did the Yankees do alot of hard work in developing these players? NO. They just wrote a big fat check for Giambi that the A's couldn't match and they plucked Boone from the not-so-rich Reds. If that's what baseball is all about, it's no wonder that attendance is steadily declining in the league.

Now, that being said, I acknowledge that the Red Sox aren't exactly a poor middle market team. I think they have one of the highest payrolls in the AL. So, they aren't total underdogs.