PDA

View Full Version : More Sox ignorance on SF radio...

Bisco Stu
10-16-2003, 09:44 PM
So on Tom Tolbert's radio show, his partner said, "Did I hear right, the White Sox haven't won the WS since 1909? I know they made it in 1959, did they win it then?"

Tolbert: "They must have won it since 1918, right?"

minastirith67
10-16-2003, 09:47 PM
Is it just me, or does most of the country seem ignorant of our Sox? Nobody seems to care, really, especially not in the national media. Why is this the case? Is there a history of the White Sox that is repelling unlike the lovable losers?

OneDog
10-16-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu
So on Tom Tolbert's radio show, his partner said, "Did I hear right, the White Sox haven't won the WS since 1909? I know they made it in 1959, did they win it then?"

Tolbert: "They must have won it since 1918, right?"

The ignorance goes on. The only way to end this Sox ignorance is for Uncle Jerry to build us a winner. Then the media will be forced to become knowledgeable about this organization.

FarWestChicago
10-16-2003, 09:48 PM

Tolbert: "They must have won it since 1918, right?" You mean Ralph stopped ranting about the Gain'ts collapse long enough to mention another team? :D:

Bisco Stu
10-16-2003, 09:49 PM
Actually, Ralph's been mellow compared to last year...

FarWestChicago
10-16-2003, 09:52 PM
Actually, Ralph's been mellow compared to last year... LOL, or the year before. He still talks about losing to the Mets and that bum pitcher who shut them down in the last game. :D:

ChiSox14305635
10-16-2003, 09:53 PM
It's probably because most casual yokels only think there's one baseball team in Chicago. We're gonna need to hoist that World Series trophy to garner any respect.

Jjav829
10-16-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by minastirith67
Is it just me, or does most of the country seem ignorant of our Sox? Nobody seems to care, really, especially not in the national media. Why is this the case? Is there a history of the White Sox that is repelling unlike the lovable losers?

No, they really don't care. I was listening to Tony Kornhesier this morning (why I don't know) but he was going on about how bad it must be to be a Red Sox or Cubs fan. He was saying that fans of those teams must be asking themselves why can't we be the ones to celebrate and going on with some pie reference about how they are the ones who never get pie and keep asking why can't we get a slice of the pie. All kinda weird. Anyways, he never once even mentioned the White Sox as if we haven't gone 86 years since the last White Sox World Series championship. No one cares. I guess it's since we don't have a curse to make popular. We need to spread word of the curse of Poppy Hidalgo! That will get us some attention. Granted it's only been like 3 years but still....that's a hell of a curse. :smile:

ssang
10-16-2003, 10:44 PM
We have the curse of the 1919 Black Sox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No one even really acknowledge's it. Personally, I don't care because I don't want the country's sympathy. I don't want to be the loveable losers like the Cubs and BoSox. We will get recognition only after JR has built a CONSISTENT WINNER. This has never ever happened under his reign. Heck, it hasn't happened in over 50 years! '93 and '94 was as close as we got to being an elite MLB organization. BUT we all know what happened as uncle Jerry took every shred of the White Sox franchise momentum by being a major advocate of the strike!!!!!!!!! :angry: :angry:

That is a major reason for where we are today.

pudge
10-16-2003, 11:43 PM
Great quote from the guy on ESPN radio doing play-by-play of the Cubs/Marlins Game 7:

"Nobody really knows the pain and suffering of a Cubs fan or Red Sox fan... except maybe a White Sox fan, but not really..."

I was dying of laughter as I was driving home... NOT REALLY?? ARE YOU A MORON?? WHY HAVEN'T WE SUFFERED AS MUCH??

I also think it's really interesting the media hasn't picked up on the curse of the 1919 Black Sox... it's pretty obvious that is indeed our curse... maybe the media would pick up on it if the Cubs and Red Sox finally won... but frankly, I really hope they don't ever pick up on it, because I don't want to be one of those "cursed" teams. Let's just win it before either the Cubs or Red Sox!

crector
10-16-2003, 11:52 PM
Don't you get it? The Cubs/Fake Sox fans are just a bunch of yuppie scum pansywaists whilst we, the followers of the True Sox, are hard-working folks.

We can take the losing while the Cubs/Fake Sox fans can't.

Its that simple.

kittle42
10-17-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by pudge
Great quote from the guy on ESPN radio doing play-by-play of the Cubs/Marlins Game 7:

"Nobody really knows the pain and suffering of a Cubs fan or Red Sox fan... except maybe a White Sox fan, but not really..."

I was dying of laughter as I was driving home... NOT REALLY?? ARE YOU A MORON?? WHY HAVEN'T WE SUFFERED AS MUCH??

Obviously, what they mean is, because of the continuous success the Sox have had over the years, we shouldn't have any pain or suffering.

Hangar18
10-17-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by ssang
We have the curse of the 1919 Black Sox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No one even really acknowledge's it. Personally, I don't care because I don't want the country's sympathy.

There are some Media Types who casually Mention 1919 Black Sox
(and in turn, feed cub minds to throw that in our faces) but
as We DISCOVERED HERE AT WSI, the CUBS CHEATED ALSO THE YEAR BEFORE IN 1918. The Tribune conveniently swept
that under the rug, and only came to Light Recently Because
The Cubs were changing the Carpet over at Wrigley when
it was Noticed. Got that Moronotti? Kiley?

jortafan
10-17-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
There are some Media Types who casually Mention 1919 Black Sox
(and in turn, feed cub minds to throw that in our faces) but
as We DISCOVERED HERE AT WSI, the CUBS CHEATED ALSO THE YEAR BEFORE IN 1918. The Tribune conveniently swept
that under the rug, and only came to Light Recently Because
The Cubs were changing the Carpet over at Wrigley when
it was Noticed. Got that Moronotti? Kiley?

There also are stories that the Philadelphia Athletics' World Series victory in 1929 was not on the level, that Howard Emhke's record-setting strikeout total for a single game (since broken) and the 8-run comeback in game 4 were possible because the Cubs were on the take, paid off by Al Capone (who did consider himself a baseball fan of the Cubs, but enjoyed a big payday even more).

The difference is that no one connected to the Cubs ever got indicted for '29, '18 or anything else, the way eight White Sox players faced charges for '19 (although they were eventually acquitted). So we know more fact about what happened with the Sox than we do any of the other ballplayers from that era who were willing to do business with gamblers.