PDA

View Full Version : Hawks "Shocking" comment on Score

john2499
10-16-2003, 09:35 PM
I remember right after the Sox got Carl Everett, Hawk was on the Score with J. Hood. He said the Sox were not "done", and moves in the future would delightfully shock people. I waited to be shocked, and was, by the Twins!!!!!!! Anyone know what he was talking about ?

santo=dorf
10-16-2003, 09:38 PM
A few weeks after he said that, Doug Padilla reported that the Sox were trying to trade for Jeff Weaver. According to Doug, the Sox were going to trade Tom Gordon. Of course we all know what happened a couple days later as Billy Koch"sucker" took the mound against the 1927 NY Yankees, oops, I mean the 2003 Devil Rays.

john2499
10-16-2003, 09:41 PM
Thanks. Certainly would not have been shocking. Good move maybe, but hardly shocking.

TornLabrum
10-16-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
A few weeks after he said that, Doug Padilla reported that the Sox were trying to trade for Jeff Weaver. According to Doug, the Sox were going to trade Tom Gordon. Of course we all know what happened a couple days later as Billy Koch"sucker" took the mound against the 1927 NY Yankees, oops, I mean the 2003 Devil Rays.

There were also stories that the Sox were looking to make a deal for Ponson, the man the Giants rode to their second consecutive NL championship.

Brian26
10-17-2003, 12:08 AM
Hmmm.

I'm not sure if anyone has ever given us the straight answer on this one, and we may never know.

Hawk's exact quote was that it would "knock our socks off".

The last info I heard or read was that the Sox were close to getting Schilling from the Dbacks. I know about the no-trade to the Sox clause, the Reinsdorf/Schilling feud, etc. This is the last one I heard, though. And honestly this would have knocked our socks off much more than Ponson, Weaver or anyone like that.

Randar68
10-17-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Hmmm.

I'm not sure if anyone has ever given us the straight answer on this one, and we may never know.

The last info I heard or read was that the Sox were close to getting Schilling from the Dbacks. I know about the no-trade to the Sox clause, the Reinsdorf/Schilling feud, etc. This is the last one I heard, though. And honestly this would have knocked our socks off much more than Ponson, Weaver or anyone like that.

There was also a "Left-coast" comment Hawk hinted at, so no, it had nothing to do with Weaver. At the time, there were only a handful of guys anyone would have considered to be "Socks Knockers"...

RichH55
10-17-2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Hmmm.

I believe the fact we could get a pretty good SP for Konerko was why it was going to knock our socks off

Schilling....>I do not buy that for a second...even as an internet rumor

WinningUgly!
10-17-2003, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by john2499
I remember right after the Sox got Carl Everett, Hawk was on the Score with J. Hood. He said the Sox were not "done", and moves in the future would delightfully shock people. I waited to be shocked, and was, by the Twins!!!!!!! Anyone know what he was talking about ?

Wow! Another Marseilles guy! :gulp:

KingXerxes
10-17-2003, 10:21 AM
It could also mean that Ken Harrelson was full of crap.

Brian26
10-17-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
It could also mean that Ken Harrelson was full of crap.

Hawk's tuned into the organization as much as anyone. He's JR's unspoken PR and media relations guy. I doubt Hawk would say something to blow smoke up J Hood's butt unless he had ample information to back it up.

KingXerxes
10-17-2003, 01:19 PM
I respect your view on this, but - alas - do not agree.

I think this organization - from top to bottom - is driven by marketing spin. So here we are - the White Sox obtain Everett and Alomar - and they send out Ken Harrelson to proudly announce that they are not finished, and that the next few moves are going to "shock" fans.

And then........................................nothin g happens.

Once you realize that nothing happens by accident with Reinsdorf, you start seeing why it was Harrelson who was sent out to start yapping erroneously about the future. He has plausible denial. He can say whatever he wants (which is in effect whatever JR wants him to say) about the front office - because he has absolutely no control over it. Then - when nothing happens - nobody ever has that statement shoved back in front of them - because the guy who said it was positioned to look like he was speculating and not BS'ing the fans.

The shame with this organization is that they spend way too much time and energy spinning and spinning. They should take this intelligence and effort and put it into a decent marketing program, and in trying to win.

Take - as a more recent example - the hiring process of the manager.

Reporter - What are you looking for in a manager?

KW - I'm not telling.

Reporter - Why won't you tell us?

KW - Because then guys will start tailoring answers to the questions.

Reporter - When are you looking to decide?

KW - I'm not telling.

Again, all we're doing at this point is orchestrating some sort of strange charade in order to provide KW with the ability to deny anything and everything once he does hire the manager who i think they've had a handshake with since the Manuel press conference.

Brian26
10-17-2003, 01:46 PM
I don't view the Harrelson situation like that, though.

I see it as a guy who has obvious connections inside the organization and knew something that we didn't. For whatever reason, it fell through. I don't think there's anything wrong with what he said. It was an exciting time. I don't think anyone was hurt by what he said, including himself. I don't think he was bs'ing either. Nothing really to be gained by bs'ing in that situation. It comes off like a guy who knew something, but it fell through.

Kenny or JR can't hold a press conference and say, "wait until what we do next! We're going to knock your socks off with a left coast guy!". That would be insane. Tampering charges, PR nightmare, not worth the hassle. Harrelson doing it is harmless.

TheRockinMT
10-17-2003, 04:38 PM
Or Hawk was full of Crap!

That's more than likely the case. Just reading these posts on the issue shows that no one really knows what the heck might have been up. Trading Gordon for Weaver? Why in the heck would someone do that? If they thought about it I am glad it didn't go through. What's he hgetting paid now? $4-6M for sitting on the bench and when he does come in he blows the game anyway. Ponson, Schilling, etc, don't have much credence when Konerko's name is thrown in the mix. Hawk must have wanted to be the GM again, of take over Manuel's job.

Foulke You
10-17-2003, 05:36 PM
That "left coast" player may have been Anaheim Angels pitcher Scott Schoenweiss who was indeed picked up after the "knock your socks off" comment. Hawk has always been a glass is half full type of announcer and he could have simply over hyped the mid level trade for Schoenweiss that KW made to bolster the pen.

KingXerxes
10-17-2003, 06:05 PM
If it was indeed the Scott Schoenweiss deal that was going to "knock our socks off", than I absolutely stick by my original prognosis - Harrelson was full of crap.

brian26 - I agree that KW and JR can't hold press conferences and announce they are going to do something great. I do - however - vehemently disagree with your notion that "nobody gets hurt" by having Harrelson say the things he said - and then seeing no follow through. What gets hurt is the credibility of one Ken "The Hawk" Harrelson. Now keep in mind that this guy's credibility with me was/is/and probably forever will be ZERO. But he was wrong wasn't he?? Nobody holds him to it however, because his comments were positioned to excuse him when nothing did in fact happen. To me, it's painfully obvious that he was sent out there to stir the "fan interest" pot. He did, but there is a certain price to pay for shooting off your mouth with no follow through, and that's a person credibility. I keep score of such things - and Harrelson no longer has any credibility with me, nor does Reinsdorf, and KW is on very thin ice himself (Grinders, ultra super-secret managerial qualities and other such tripe). This is the stuff that nightmares are made of.

That is the annoying thing about the White Sox organization. They all position themselves to be excused for every lousy decision they make - there is precious little accountability put on anyone, and everything plods along in complete mediocrity. You can dream up excuses for guys like Harrelson all you want - I choose to take them at their word, and then point out what a pack of liars they always turn out to be.

Reporter - Are you unhappy with the new Stadium?

:reinsy

"Unhappy???? It's the greatest thng in the world!!!'

Reporter (two years later) - With this latest round of renovations, do you now think this Stadium had some problems?

"No way!!!!! We've just made it better that's all."

Reporter - (two more years later) - Okay, can you explain how you've spent almost as much renovating the Stadium over the past six years than it cost to build."

"As I've said all along, there were problems with this Stadium - like all new Stadiums, and now we're going to fix them."

mike squires
10-17-2003, 06:47 PM
Hey Folks, Someone take a moment to ask him about it at Soxfest in February. I saw him at the party last year and spoke briefly about Herm Schneider. I'll bet if you catch him in a private moment (not in line waiting for autographs) he will tell you.

gosox41
10-18-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by john2499

Hawk likes to ramble. He does it in the TV booth all the time. His act is getting old. Flapping his gums about a possible trade that would "knock our socks off" further adds fuel to why I can't stand listening to him.

Bob

joecrede
10-18-2003, 12:44 AM
Heard from somebody with close ties to this outfit that the deal Hawk was alluding to was for Schilling.

KingXerxes
10-18-2003, 10:50 AM
mike squires - If you think somebody may be BS'ing you, I don't think the best way to find out is by asking that very same person if they're telling you the truth.