PDA

View Full Version : Sox purchase contracts of Ross Gload and Enemencio Pacheco

MRKARNO
10-16-2003, 08:54 PM
What is the significance of the white sox purchasing their contracts? Are they just gonna be on the 40 man roster or might they be fighting for a 25 man roster spot? Pacheco's numbers in AA were outstanding, but is he the real deal and ready to pitch in the majors?

Daver
10-16-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
What is the significance of the white sox purchasing their contracts? Are they just gonna be on the 40 man roster or might they be fighting for a 25 man roster spot? Pacheco's numbers in AA were outstanding, but is he the real deal and ready to pitch in the majors?

They were put on the 40 man roster,and therefore will be in ST next year to fight for a roster spot.

Pacheco could possibly start in the majors,but he is a middle to back of the rotation type,he will never be anyone's staff ace.He is a groundball pitcher that gets guys out,but they do put the ball in play against him.

MRKARNO
10-16-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Pacheco could possibly start in the majors,but he is a middle to back of the rotation type,he will never be anyone's staff ace.He is a groundball pitcher that gets guys out,but they do put the ball in play against him.

Well if he could lock up the 5th rotation spot it certainly would be better than Cotts/Stewart/Wright situation

Randar68
10-17-2003, 12:22 AM
Well if he could lock up the 5th rotation spot it certainly would be better than Cotts/Stewart/Wright situation

Yeah, because Cotts can't possibly improve, especially since we've seen him for about 200 IP in the majors already...

Randar68
10-17-2003, 12:22 AM
They were put on the 40 man roster,and therefore will be in ST next year to fight for a roster spot.

Also means Pacheco isn't eligible for the Rule 5 draft, right??? Wait, I thtink that was Tetsu Yofu that would be Rule 5 eligible....

MRKARNO
10-17-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Yeah, because Cotts can't possibly improve, especially since we've seen him for about 200 IP in the majors already...

Sorry, I didnt mean to indicate that Cotts was not gonna do anything. I think we will most likely see him start. I want to see him improve. Once he cuts down on the walks, he will be a legit 3-4 starter I think.

Randar68
10-17-2003, 11:47 AM
Sorry, I didnt mean to indicate that Cotts was not gonna do anything. I think we will most likely see him start. I want to see him improve. Once he cuts down on the walks, he will be a legit 3-4 starter I think.

Which is more than Pacheco can do. In addition, Pacheco would also be moving from AA to the majors, so I don't see how people can bash Cotts for struggling and be so ready/willing to do the same thing with another guy!

Back-up QB syndrome. (Also known as the Aaron Rowand Effect)

soxtalker
10-17-2003, 11:58 AM

Are there any other implications of being on the 40-man roster -- trades, eligibility for drafts, etc? Are major league teams required to have a full 40-man roster at some point?

DrCrawdad
10-17-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
Are there any other implications of being on the 40-man roster -- trades, eligibility for drafts, etc? Are major league teams required to have a full 40-man roster at some point?

When KW dumped Manuel, KW spent a lot of time talking about "grinders." IIRC KW gave some examples of "grinder" and Konerko's name was NEVER mentioned. I took that as a signal that Konerko's days were numbered.

With that in mind, plus Konerko's large salary, this may signal that they're going to give Gload a shot at first-base next season. Gload's a left-handed hitter. Gload's inexpensive. The question, is Gload a "grinder?"

poorme
10-17-2003, 12:46 PM
I'm kind of surprised they put Gload on the roster. He's like 28, I think. So that means the Sox have some hopes for him (why not bring him up in September) or the Sox are really short on minor league talent.

Daver
10-17-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Also means Pacheco isn't eligible for the Rule 5 draft, right??? Wait, I thtink that was Tetsu Yofu that would be Rule 5 eligible....

Yofu is correct.

By adding him to the forty man roster he is required to show up for ST when catchers and pitchers report,unlike non roster players and non roster invitees.

Daver
10-17-2003, 08:49 PM

No the CBA has no language that has a minimum roster,they only protect guys on the forty man roster.This time of year you want your forty man roster filled,so that when arbitration and the FA season starts you know what you can do with your roster,Pacheco still has options left,and Gload is a guy that could be waived without much of a second thought,thus you can make to roster spots open in no time flat.

TheRockinMT
10-17-2003, 11:51 PM
I really think the only significance you can read into the addition of Gload and Pacheco is the fact the Sox don't want to lose them in the draft. If they aren't protected on the 40 man roster a team can claim them. Not to say of course they won't be invited to Spring Training, but this way it is with the Sox and not another team.

Daver
10-18-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by TheRockinMT
I really think the only significance you can read into the addition of Gload and Pacheco is the fact the Sox don't want to lose them in the draft. If they aren't protected on the 40 man roster a team can claim them. Not to say of course they won't be invited to Spring Training, but this way it is with the Sox and not another team.

Pacheco is not eligible for the rule 5 draft,and I doubt the Sox would care if Gload was claimed,he was signed as a minor league waiver.

soxtalker
10-18-2003, 12:49 PM
Pacheco is not eligible for the rule 5 draft,and I doubt the Sox would care if Gload was claimed,he was signed as a minor league waiver.

So, are there other guys of note in the minors that we left unprotected?

voodoochile
10-18-2003, 12:52 PM
So, are there other guys of note in the minors that we left unprotected?

Even if there are guys out there who might be considered draftable prospects, losing them isn't that big of a deal. By definition to be eligible for the Rule V draft, you have to have 5 years of service in the minors and not be good enough to be on the 40-man roster (Please someone fill me in if I have those numbers wrong). Hardly guys worth worrying about as their chance of becoming a MLB caliber player are 1% or less, IMO.