PDA

View Full Version : Insider info...A-Rod to play for Cubs next year, no joke!

ssang
10-16-2003, 07:23 PM
I have heard from a VERY reliable source (he sat with A-Rod at last night's game) that the Cubs and A-Rod are currently working out a trade where he is dealt to the freakin' Cubs after taking a big paycut. He said to keep this on the down-low but I don't care. He shouldn't have told me this. But I swear to God I am not joking about this. It's not 100% but they are really working at it. When it happens just know that you heard it from me first.

Obviously, this would suck more than a whole lot of things. A-Rod would be a MASSIVE addition to losers (aka the Cubs). I pray to God that this falls through! :whiner:

SoxFanDan
10-16-2003, 07:34 PM
and who would go to the rangers.?????

MRKARNO
10-16-2003, 07:36 PM
Yeah that is kinda weird that A-rod would attend the game 7. Something must be up...

oheeoh...magglio
10-16-2003, 07:41 PM
IMO the only way the cubs get AROD is by giving up either Prior or Wood, which WON'T happen. Plus, I don't think the Rangers would take sosa for arod, because they have good outfielders in guys like texiera and blalock. I doubt this will happen, but if it does, oh boy...

ssang
10-16-2003, 07:41 PM
I have absolutley no clue who the Cubs would be trading to the Rangers. Details wre not discussed. All that I know is that I would never fabricate this story. My source is legit, I just hope this deal falls apart.

Deadguy
10-16-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Yeah that is kinda weird that A-rod would attend the game 7. Something must be up...

Alex is from Miami, and attended most of the Marlin play off games in Florida.

MRKARNO
10-16-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
Alex is from Miami, and attended most of the Marlin play off games in Florida.

Well that's what's up then! :)

ChiWhiteSox1337
10-16-2003, 07:46 PM
Oh...I thought he was just checking out all the fuss about the urinal before being traded to the White Sox

chisoxt
10-16-2003, 08:04 PM
IMO the only way the cubs get AROD is by giving up either Prior or Wood, which WON'T happen

Remember now, we are in a new era in baseball, whereby you can get alot for nothing just by taking on salary. The Cubs and Jim Hendry are especially adept at this. (See the Ramairez Lofton deal w/ Pittsburgh).
I can see the Cubs packaging Juan Cruz, some lower level prospects and other garbage to pull this deal off.

gosox41
10-16-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by ssang
I have heard from a VERY reliable source (he sat with A-Rod at last night's game) that the Cubs and A-Rod are currently working out a trade where he is dealt to the freakin' Cubs after taking a big paycut. He said to keep this on the down-low but I don't care. He shouldn't have told me this. But I swear to God I am not joking about this. It's not 100% but they are really working at it. When it happens just know that you heard it from me first.

Obviously, this would suck more than a whole lot of things. A-Rod would be a MASSIVE addition to losers (aka the Cubs). I pray to God that this falls through! :whiner:

Has this been reported anywhere else?

Bob

A.T. Money
10-16-2003, 08:12 PM
Maybe because A-Rod and I-Rod are buddies?

Steve Bartman
10-16-2003, 08:20 PM
A-Rod showed up at Yankee stadium last year for the playoffs. Maybe the guy just likes the playoffs and has some friends on the Marlins? The Cubs have Gonzalez tied up for another year so I don't see them making this trade.

TraderTim
10-16-2003, 08:41 PM
This was speculated about on the Score today...it ain't exactly low key and I doubt it is much more than more Boras manipulation because his client is sniffing around teams looking for a new home. Remember...he also had really great things to say about the Sox after the All-Star break, when he 'supposedly' was 'this close' to becoming a Sox player.

Believe it when you see him scratching and sniffing Dusty...

Forkit!

SoxxoS
10-16-2003, 08:54 PM
I don't think they have to give up Prior or Wood-

Cruz, Zambrano, Choi, Patterson for AROD? That is doable...

Any other ideas? If he is going to cut his contract...why don't the Sox go after him?

:reinsy

+

:payrod

OK.

MRKARNO
10-16-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

Well if they had to give up that much then the Rangers would be winning that deal in a steal. 2 quality players, one with potential (choi) and someone who would easily crack the ranger rotation (cruz). If the cubs did this trade I'd be happy because the cubs'd lose more than they will have gained

john2499
10-16-2003, 09:31 PM
Well if they had to give up that much then the Rangers would be winning that deal in a steal. 2 quality players, one with potential (choi) and someone who would easily crack the ranger rotation (cruz). If the cubs did this trade I'd be happy because the cubs'd lose more than they will have gained

I would not be happy. A-Rod is someone they can market for the next 7-8 years, especially to kids. They are already a marketing machine with SoSo and Wrigley. The Sox don't need to lose more possible up and coming fans. They already lost a generation during the 80's when EE and JR put them on cable. We didn't have cable until '88, and I wanted to watch them.

minastirith67
10-16-2003, 09:43 PM
Maybe the Sox should pick him up instead. Valentin did have an off-year for the most part (either that or his skills are diminishing, though his fielding was for the most part superb). We could use an all-star shortstop but then again there is the quesion of payroll. Do you think the Sox should get A-Rod or is it out of the question entirely?

Daver
10-16-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by minastirith67
Do you think the Sox should get A-Rod or is it out of the question entirely?

Exhibit A in why they won't get Alex Rodriguez.

2001: $21.0M^ (+$10.0M signing bonus paid between 2001-5)
2002: $21.0M*
2003: $21.0M~
2004: $21.0M~
2005: $25.0M*
2006: $25.0M*
2007: $27.0M*
2008: $27.0M~
2009: $27.0M~
2010: $27.0M~

That is his contract.

TDog
10-16-2003, 10:07 PM
On the eve of the 2000 playoffs, Alex Rodriguez and a couple of his Mariner teammates went to empty Wrigley Field and just sat there, talking to the reporters in tow about how wonderful a place it was. This was noted in an Associated Press story that circulated nationally during the first week of October, about how nobody cared about the White Sox making it to the postseason. The story pointed out as evidence (that the people of Chicago didn't care) that there was some sort of rally for the Sox that no local newspaper bothered to cover. I don't remember a rally, but I was living in Wisconsin at the time and only drove down for the games. I certainly didn't hear about any rally from the media. (The Cubs don't need to be doing well to get their sugar from the fourth estate, but I digress.)

I could see A-Rod playing for the Cubs. I could even see the Cubs trading Wood for him. Wood is from Texas, and now that the Cubs have Prior, Wood's inconsistency and weaknesses seem to stand out more. I don't think Wood is going anywhere, but if he were, it would have to be for a player like A-Rod, who plays for a team that desperately needs pitching and a Nolan Ryan-type for the community to rally around.

If the Rangers front office had any brains, that's what they should be thinking anyway.

guillen4life13
10-16-2003, 10:39 PM
SoxxoS: The reason A-Rod wouldn't come to the White Sox is because they didn't come within one game of making the World Series. Unfortunately, the Cubs did.

Viva Magglio
10-16-2003, 10:44 PM
Of course, there is someone on the Cubs already who won't like it at all if they get A-Rod:

:shammy
"Let me quote Ron Santo, 'OOOHHHH NOOOOOOO!!!' I don't want a bigger fish in my pond!!!"

Unless they dump Sosa, of course.

valposoxfan
10-17-2003, 12:24 AM
I really can't see this happening. They would have to lose Wood or Prior for sure. The Cubs will not have a 100 million dollar payroll either. It just won't happen. I am real skeptical that this will ever materialize into anything. I'm not worried.

RichH55
10-17-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by valposoxfan
I really can't see this happening. They would have to lose Wood or Prior for sure. The Cubs will not have a 100 million dollar payroll either. It just won't happen. I am real skeptical that this will ever materialize into anything. I'm not worried.

Alou will come off the books in 2005 9.5 Million

If Wood is in the deal hes going to cost around 9 million per

Agon comes off the books in 2005(could be in a deal as well)

4.5 million

Karros 8 million and Grudz 5ish are off the books now

Not the type of rumors I want to be hearing either, but not totally improbable

That being said Arod isnt going anywhere

fuzzy_patters
10-17-2003, 12:42 AM
If the Cubs would make a trade for AROD, they are stupid. Tejada will be cheaper, and you do not have to give up players for him.

RichH55
10-17-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
If the Cubs would make a trade for AROD, they are stupid. Tejada will be cheaper, and you do not have to give up players for him.

There is also a tremendous addition in production in Arod over Tejada.....I still think their best move would be to go after Vidro, a better 1B, and then take a look at the SS market( I think Agon is a sunk cost)

thepaulbowski
10-17-2003, 07:48 AM

He was interviewed on TV and said he was in town for business and had an offer from a friend to go to the game.

dickallen15
10-17-2003, 07:54 AM
AROD is not going to take a paycut. His agent is
SCOTT BORAS. No paycut. Maybe if Sosa decided to walk, which the Cubs would love, they could replace him with ARod. But they would have to give up a lot of pitching. Probably 3 front line guys, with Wood probably being the centerpiece.

Hangar18
10-17-2003, 08:02 AM
Just another reason why Baseball is STILL in so much trouble....
If the Rangers get rid of him......I Guarantee it will be for NOTHING, to rid themselves of the contract. The cubs and Yanks
are the ONLY teams that can afford him.

KingXerxes
10-17-2003, 09:31 AM
I agree with Hangar 18.

If Rodriguez takes a paycut in order to get out of Texas, and the Rangers are able to rid themselves of his $25 million per year, I would imagine that the team which picks him up would have to part with very little in terms of compensation. Texas's consideration will be the fact that they no longer have to pay him.

kittle42
10-17-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by oheeoh...magglio
they have good outfielders in guys like texiera and blalock.

They also have good first and third basemen in guys like Texiera and Blalock.

LuvSox
10-17-2003, 12:10 PM
:threadsucks

TDog
10-17-2003, 12:21 PM
Bringing in Alex Rodriguez could be a bad PR move for the Cubs. Some Cubs fans are upset with him for booting that ground ball in the eighth inning of game 6.

Dadawg_77
10-17-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by TDog
Bringing in Alex Rodriguez could be a bad PR move for the Cubs. Some Cubs fans are upset with him for booting that ground ball in the eighth inning of game 6.

lol, god I hope this doesn't happen.

Randar68
10-17-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

Any other ideas? If he is going to cut his contract...why don't the Sox go after him?

OK.

Not so fast. Wood is due for a big pay raise in the very near future and is a Texas native. Not only that, but what does Wood give you in terms of health and production? Probably not enough to justify his desired salary. Sosa and Wood for A-Rod? Sosa would be a FA in a year or 2 and Wood would resign with the Rangers to stay close to home. Rnagers get pitching, Cubs get Hitting...

Who knows.

Risk
10-17-2003, 05:18 PM
Despite A-Rod GNP like salary, I still don't expect the Scrubs to get him--ever. Listen, before I get flamed here, please allow me to play Devil's Advocate

1)A-Rod is expected to get over $20M a year (based on available information). Lest we forget that this is the Tribune Company here--notorious for trying to low ball star players (ex. Thome) and overpay garbage (Danny Jackson), so it would be hesitant to take on a higher salary;

2)Soso won't like having to share the spotlight. Being the selfish ego driven SOB that he is, Corky will never allow his "flow" to be stolen by some newbie. Last thing the Cubune wants is two stars feuding during another losing season;

3)A-Rod, if anything, would want to go to a winner, so the obvious choice if anything would be the Yankees;

4)The Cubs overacheived this year, ie there is no guarantee that they will have as good (lucky) a season. They benefited from a bunch of wash-outs who overacheived (Karros, Grudzzz...whatever, Lofton, Remlinger, Gonzalez--the crappy one who fumbled the double play ball), a weak NL Central Division, and a fire sale from Pittsburg were they got two decent players (Ramirez and Sausage Beater)

5)Not even the most incompotent GM (with the exception of the guy in Pittsburg) would give up a marquee player for prospects or an assumption of salary. If anything, the Rangers GM (Hart???) would ask for a marquee pitcher along the lines of Pryor, rather than Wood, since Pryor is younger and has yet to have a Tommy John surgery, and 2-3 other position players/relievers. There is no way A-Rod is going to the Cubs on a salary dump measure.

Just my 2 cents. I think that Kid Beanball (Wood) is going to the Yankees before A Rod becomes an Unlovable Loser.

Risk

RichH55
10-17-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Risk
Despite A-Rod GNP like salary, I still don't expect the Scrubs to get him--ever. Listen, before I get flamed here, please allow me to play Devil's Advocate

1)A-Rod is expected to get over $20M a year (based on available information). Lest we forget that this is the Tribune Company here--notorious for trying to low ball star players (ex. Thome) and overpay garbage (Danny Jackson), so it would be hesitant to take on a higher salary;

2)Soso won't like having to share the spotlight. Being the selfish ego driven SOB that he is, Corky will never allow his "flow" to be stolen by some newbie. Last thing the Cubune wants is two stars feuding during another losing season;

3)A-Rod, if anything, would want to go to a winner, so the obvious choice if anything would be the Yankees;

4)The Cubs overacheived this year, ie there is no guarantee that they will have as good (lucky) a season. They benefited from a bunch of wash-outs who overacheived (Karros, Grudzzz...whatever, Lofton, Remlinger, Gonzalez--the crappy one who fumbled the double play ball), a weak NL Central Division, and a fire sale from Pittsburg were they got two decent players (Ramirez and Sausage Beater)

5)Not even the most incompotent GM (with the exception of the guy in Pittsburg) would give up a marquee player for prospects or an assumption of salary. If anything, the Rangers GM (Hart???) would ask for a marquee pitcher along the lines of Pryor, rather than Wood, since Pryor is younger and has yet to have a Tommy John surgery, and 2-3 other position players/relievers. There is no way A-Rod is going to the Cubs on a salary dump measure.

Just my 2 cents. I think that Kid Beanball (Wood) is going to the Yankees before A Rod becomes an Unlovable Loser.

Risk

HEYY

Lets be fair to the Cubs here!

IF ANYONE deserves the nickname "Kid Beanball"

Its Ben Christensen(sic)

1951Campbell
10-17-2003, 10:28 PM

:whoflungpoo

soxtalker
10-18-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Risk

Risk

Good post, but I'll disagree on a few points.

First, I'll say that my view is that the Cubs are an improving team. They've got a lot of good pitching prospects coming up, and they've got lots of money to buy players. That may not sit very well here with a number of my fellow Sox fans, but I wouldn't rely on their past failures as a guarantee of the future. The Tribune is a corporation interested in making money, and I'd bet that this year has been a real success in that regard. So, that's a long way of saying that while I agree that they overachieved this year (your #4), I don't think that means that they will fall back next year.

On your #1, the Tribune corporation can be expected to evaluate investments based on expected return. That doesn't mean that someone in the management string won't make a mistake, but if lower management wants a player and can make an argument that it will help the bottom line of the Tribune, they'll probably be willing to do it. From everything I've read about the Thome situation, it looks like the lower management simply didn't want him (obviously, a mistake).

On #3, sure the Yankees could be competition. But the Cubs have to look like a great alternative. Good national media coverage and attention. The chance to be one of the players that finally brings a championship to the Cubs.

On #5, I thought that one of the main reasons for Texas to make this deal was to get out from under the contract. Sure, they'd love a lot in return, but that GM in Texas will look quite competent if he can pull this off.

Which leaves me with your #2 -- Sosa. Well, from the reports I've read and heard on the radio, the Cubs are not likely to pick up his contract if he decides to test the FA waters. A-Rod is a candidate for MVP, Sosa is not. Now, if Sosa is still here, there could, of course, be problems in the club house. But isn't Dusty supposed to be great at handling problems like this?

Having said all of this, the real question for us Sox fans is what impact it will have on us. It will certainly draw more media attention to the Cubs. But I'm not sure we can go much further in that direction.

AsInWreck
10-18-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by TDog

I could see A-Rod playing for the Cubs. I could even see the Cubs trading Wood for him.

hmm, does anyone smell any Chan Ho?

Lip Man 1
10-18-2003, 11:09 PM
For what it's worth. This is in Phil Rogers' latest column in the Tribune on Sunday:

Crazy question of week: Would Texas agree to pay a significant portion of Alex Rodriguez's contract if the Cubs traded Wood for him?

Now why would he bring up Rodriguez....hmmmm.

Lip

MRKARNO
10-19-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
For what it's worth. This is in Phil Rogers' latest column in the Tribune on Sunday:

Crazy question of week: Would Texas agree to pay a significant portion of Alex Rodriguez's contract if the Cubs traded Wood for him?

Lip

Trading wood for hitting might mess up the cubs' equation, but then again you never do know with the cubs

RichH55
10-19-2003, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

Lip you are scaring me

With Wood due about 9-10 million a season this coming offseason...The Rangers eating about 5 a year or so...Alou coming off the books after 2004....pretty good SP even without Wood, and Texas having good young hitting even without Arod....It makes alot of sense

jabrch
10-19-2003, 06:58 PM
Trading wood for hitting might mess up the cubs' equation, but then again you never do know with the cubs

But they could do that, bring in a Ponson-like 4th SP, go with Prior, Zambrano, Clement, Ponson, Cruz and then have A-Rod hitting in the middle of that lineup...

I would hate to see it. It would make them stronger.

RichH55
10-19-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
But they could do that, bring in a Ponson-like 4th SP, go with Prior, Zambrano, Clement, Ponson, Cruz and then have A-Rod hitting in the middle of that lineup...

I would hate to see it. It would make them stronger.

Could signify Sammy being moved as well (If Yankees lose???) which would probably help them in the long run as well and allow them to do even more

bc2k
10-20-2003, 02:26 AM
IMO, the only way this trade happens is if Sosa opts out of the $33 million left on his contract. I do believe that 2004 is the last year on Wood's contract, though I heard the Cubs are trying to extend it. Maybe the Cubs are trying to extend it to make Wood more desirable to the Rangers.

The Cubs don't have the option to cut Sosa, the decision to stay or leave is entirely Sosa's. Like Baker said earlier in the year, why would Sosa throw away a guaranteed $33 million to possibly gain $35 million? It just isn't worth the risk of signing for less than $33 million.

I don't think Sosa is dumb enough to leave $33 million on the table, though this is the man who left 10k in a garbage bag. IMO, a staying Sosa makes trading for AROD a pipedream.

RichH55
10-20-2003, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
IMO, the only way this trade happens is if Sosa opts out of the $33 million left on his contract. I do believe that 2004 is the last year on Wood's contract, though I heard the Cubs are trying to extend it. Maybe the Cubs are trying to extend it to make Wood more desirable to the Rangers.

The Cubs don't have the option to cut Sosa, the decision to stay or leave is entirely Sosa's. Like Baker said earlier in the year, why would Sosa throw away a guaranteed $33 million to possibly gain $35 million? It just isn't worth the risk of signing for less than $33 million.

I don't think Sosa is dumb enough to leave $33 million on the table, though this is the man who left 10k in a garbage bag. IMO, a staying Sosa makes trading for AROD a pipedream.

A) I think they trade Sosa

B) Wood - 9-10 million a year, Rangers take 5 million a year or so of Arod's deal, Agon 4.5(has to go somewhere), Alou 9.5 off the books after 2004

- That pretty much pays for Arod right there

Not to mention contracts like Karros, Grudilenek, Alfonseca, and I think Guthrie come off the books right now

It the Cubs play their cards right they could be minus Sosa, but plus Arod and Vidro

And how does Sosa for Nick Johnson sound?

Obviously this is all a pipedream, and Chicago is quote-unquote a Cubs town already.....but If Hendry has the balls he could simply make a dynasty and as a nice little ancillary benefit to the Tribune Corp. --> Destroy what is left of White Sox Baseball

That is why I can't tell you have much I look forward to stories like "Cubs-Simon talk extention" "Cubs-Simon near deal" "Cubs bring back veteran 2B" "Cubs will not make an offer on Pudge"

It's not as suspenseful as the playoffs, but it still isn't helping the bloodpressure

BeerHandle
10-21-2003, 01:09 PM
Who is this reliable source, Bennifer from the block? I don't see this happening at all.

kittle42
10-21-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
Who is this reliable source, Bennifer from the block? I don't see this happening at all.

The reliable source is former managerial candidate Alan Aqua.

steff
10-21-2003, 04:38 PM

LOL.. he's from Miami. Heaven for bid he go see the Marlins play.

Dusty was in NY the other day.. must be replacing Joe, eh?

steff
10-21-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
The reliable source is former managerial candidate Alan Aqua.

OMG!!! Hillarious!!

steff
10-21-2003, 04:39 PM
BTW... I'd bet the farm this rumor is BS.

white sox bill
10-21-2003, 04:58 PM
Pay. I mean A Rod a flub?Now all us negative Sox fans will have to find SOMETHING wrong with him so we can rip him!