PDA

View Full Version : Sun Times: Cito Gaston's asking price might be too high/Everett likely gone

Foulke You
10-16-2003, 06:45 PM
Interesting article. Sounds like Gaston is asking for too much money. The article also makes mention of the fact what most of us already knew and that Everett is most likely going to be gone next year. The Sox might increase payroll to $60 million from $55 million. That should put us on a level playing field with the Red Sox and Yankees!!

Here is a choice bit from the article:

"Sources indicate the Sox are leery of the salary the two-time World Series winner might command, and it could become the main stumbling block in potential negotiations.

Gaston has not interviewed for the job, and an interview has yet to be scheduled, according to the source.

Already pushing their own self-established budget constraints, the Sox not only have to pay fired manager Jerry Manuel $1 million in 2004, the final year of his contract, they still are trying to find the money to re-sign pitcher Bartolo Colon.

Sources also have said that one of Gaston's requests is that the Sox keep their veteran nucleus intact, and Colon is a big part of that. If Colon is re-signed, veterans such as Jose Valentin and Roberto Alomar have indicated they might be inclined to return to the Sox for under market value."

Here is the link to the whole article:
Sun Times article on Gaston (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox161.html)

joecrede
10-16-2003, 06:51 PM
Not a fan of Gaston so I view this as good news provided Bell or Francona don't get the job.

soxfan26
10-16-2003, 06:56 PM
"Gaston's potential asking price could be lowered if Colon is part of the 2004 team."

With or without Colon we can field a good team next year. Obviously he is a big key, but Chicago baseball will go on.

2 things the Sox should be careful of:

1. Overpaying for Colon (yes, it's possible)

2. Allowing a guy like Gaston to bring that kind of attitude to this club.

cornball
10-16-2003, 07:01 PM
The more I think of it (and it scares me too) Ozzie would be a good choice at this point.

Foulke You
10-16-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by soxfan26
"Gaston's potential asking price could be lowered if Colon is part of the 2004 team."

With or without Colon we can field a good team next year. Obviously he is a big key, but Chicago baseball will go on.

2 things the Sox should be careful of:

1. Overpaying for Colon (yes, it's possible)

2. Allowing a guy like Gaston to bring that kind of attitude to this club.

What attitude are you referring to? He simply wants what all other Sox fans want and that is to field a competitive veteran team that has a chance to go the World Series. Why should he waste his time with a rebuilding effort? He wants to make sure he has players who can win before he commits to taking the manager job. I see nothing wrong with that. The guy has two championship rings, perhaps the Sox should listen to his demands?

Buddy Bell's best record was 82-80 as a manager? What has Francona done to warrant taking over a would-be division contender? We need a proven veteran manager who has been to the big dance and knows how to take a team there. Give me Gaston, Hargrove, Davey Johnson, or Leyland please.

inta
10-16-2003, 07:14 PM
as long as it's not backman...

soxfan26
10-16-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
What attitude are you referring to? He simply wants what all other Sox fans want and that is to field a competitive veteran team that has a chance to go the World Series. Why should he waste his time with a rebuilding effort? He wants to make sure he has players who can win before he commits to taking the manager job. I see nothing wrong with that. The guy has two championship rings, perhaps the Sox should listen to his demands?

Buddy Bell's best record was 82-80 as a manager? What has Francona done to warrant taking over a would-be division contender? We need a proven veteran manager who has been to the big dance and knows how to take a team there. Give me Gaston, Hargrove, Davey Johnson, or Leyland please.

Fielding a competitive veteran team sounds great.

If the Sox have to let Colon go, it is hard to call a team this talented a rebuilding effort.

I never lobbied for Buddy Bell, to be honest with you I have favored Gaston all along.

According to this story Gaston is #1 asking more than JR plans to spend, and #2 is making personnel demands before he even gets an interview.

It simply means that Gaston may not have the right attitude for this team. He should understand budgetary constraints, keep his mouth shut while the GM and Owner are trying to field a competitive team, and have enough confidence in his own ability to not raise and lower the ante based on the # of veteran players on the squad.

vegyrex
10-16-2003, 07:24 PM
Gaston's requests sound reasonable to me.
The guy has two rings as manager. Wouldn't Davey Johnson make the same request. Didn't Leyland leave the Marlins because he didn't want to be part of a rebuilding team?
I'm willing to keep this team in tact but under another manager.
My personal choices would be Davey Johnson or Gaston.

duke of dorwood
10-16-2003, 09:05 PM
You can have Clarence Gaston, thank you. When did he evolve into Cito anyway?

dooda
10-17-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by vegyrex
Gaston's requests sound reasonable to me.
The guy has two rings as manager. Wouldn't Davey Johnson make the same request. Didn't Leyland leave the Marlins because he didn't want to be part of a rebuilding team?
I'm willing to keep this team in tact but under another manager.
My personal choices would be Davey Johnson or Gaston.

IMO this is the right track. We need a manager with a CHAMPIONSHIP track record. Winning championships proves a manager knows how to win. It says to players "I know how to get this job done so get on board." The problem with retreads ala Bell and Francona is that they have no more credibility than an inexperienced manager. Their resume' says I know how to lose, but I haven't figured out how to win. I'll take the championship experience any day.

I'd even take a minor league manager that has won a title at two different levels or with two different organizations.

The bottom line to me is to get a manager with a championship resume.
No more on the job training. No more never were and never will bes.

voodoochile
10-17-2003, 02:13 PM
I see nothing wrong with Cito wanting a veteran team with quality players. So do I. His future earning potential will be based on how well the Sox perform. He is better off from a personal perspective not taking a job on a team with .500 talent and hopint to put it over the top. If he fails, his reputation is for crap.

poorme
10-17-2003, 02:31 PM
I don't want to go begging the guy to manage. I mean he turned down the Angels job a few years ago. He hasn't managed in 6 years and he'll be 60 years old next year. How many more opportunites can he pass up? Is he really interested in managing or is he in it for the money?

FarWestChicago
10-17-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by poorme
He hasn't managed in 6 years and he'll be 60 years old next year.http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/baseball/mlb/img6471163.jpg

What a puppy!!

soxfan26
10-17-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by poorme
I don't want to go begging the guy to manage. I mean he turned down the Angels job a few years ago. He hasn't managed in 6 years and he'll be 60 years old next year. How many more opportunites can he pass up? Is he really interested in managing or is he in it for the money?

Poor me summed it up much better than I could, but that's the problem, he seems to be in it for the money.

That is the attitude I was reffering to.

If your worried about veteran players, fine. Bring it up with JR and KW in your interview. Not in the papers.

Bringing in a verteran squad is the way to go, no doubt. But basing your salary demands on Colon's decision to say or go says one thing, you want high priced talent to blame your failure on (if you fail).

With 2 WS rings already, just how bad does Cito want it?

That is the question.