PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Game 7 report from the bleachers

maurice
10-16-2003, 03:07 PM
Some choice snippets (http://espn.go.com/page2/s/shea/031016.html):

A guy behind us asks, "Who's pitching? Oh, Wood's still pitching?" Thanks for paying attention. Later, he adds, "No worries. Sammy's about to hit a two-run jack. That's what we're down by, right? Oh, one? Well, that'd give us the lead then!" I think of former Cubs manager Lee Elia's famous tirade. "The great Chicago fans my friggin' ass." . . .

Clueless Cubs fan -- that's his new name -- behind me is mystified by the Marlins. "They don't have a single guy outside of Pudge that scares you." Yeah, I'm sure McKeon has been awake at night thinking about how to slow down Eric Karros and Mark Grudzielanek.

Dave Veres gets up in the bullpen and the crowd gasps. "He has to go to someone," Oslwang says. "But I don't think Veres is the guy." . . . The woman in front of us all of a sudden rushes to the defense of Veres. "C'mon, now. He's really kicked ass the last two outings." Nick Grieco mimics a drinking motion. "What two outings?" he asks. We think she must be his sister. We have no other plausible explanation for why she would defend Veres. . . .

Soon, Alex Gonzalez singles to left off Veres to make the score, 9-5. Somewhere, Aretha Franklin puts down her ham sandwich and starts warming up. The fat lady is going to sing. . . .

Sosa comes up to face Beckett with one out, almost the exact spot when the comeback started for the Marlins the previous night. "All we need is a single and then a foul ball in the stands," Oslwang says. Of course, Sosa strikes out looking.

Alou grounds out to end the inning and fans start to exit the stands. Except for one fan in our section, who returns to his seat with a ton of food. "What, did he wait for the discount or something?" I ask. Everyone looks at him like he's an alien. The game is about to be over and he missed the bottom of the eighth to get hot dogs, candy and popcorn. Truly bizarre. . . .

Hondo
10-16-2003, 03:20 PM
Friggin Idiots.
That's part of the reason why Cubs fans should suffer forever.

ewokpelts
10-16-2003, 03:25 PM
boo hoo hoo.....woe is the flub fan

ssang
10-16-2003, 03:45 PM
These are not real fans.....but the media will fool everyone in the country into thinking the Cubs have the most loyal and best fans in the world. B.S.!!!!!!!!!! They're either there to get laid, party, or to follow the "cool" crowd to Wrigley field. I hate the Cubs and their fans with every inch of energy that exsists in my body!!!

Dadawg_77
10-16-2003, 03:48 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25676

Hey I already had this posted :) someone moved it on me.

white sox bill
10-16-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by ssang
These are not real fans.....but the media will fool everyone in the country into thinking the Cubs have the most loyal and best fans in the world. B.S.!!!!!!!!!! They're either there to get laid, party, or to follow the "cool" crowd to Wrigley field. I hate the Cubs and their fans with every inch of energy that exsists in my body!!!

I'm definatly into party and getting laid thing, but when I wanna see a baseball game, I go to the cell!