PDA

View Full Version : Chicago demographics

Iwritecode
10-16-2003, 02:27 PM
Interesting post from fellow WSI member RDIVALDI on the troll board.

If you've ever wondered why the Cubs have such an easy time drawing fans. (http://boards.go.com/cgi/mlb/request.dll?MESSAGE&room=mlb_chw&id=252311)

woodenleg
10-16-2003, 02:34 PM
This information needs to be preserved forever. I mean, we've known it all along, but they don't know it.

Also: keep in mind that 60605 is the south loop - I don't know whether those people are loyal to the Sox or are just Cubbieville spillover.

thepaulbowski
10-17-2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by woodenleg
This information needs to be preserved forever. I mean, we've known it all along, but they don't know it.

Also: keep in mind that 60605 is the south loop - I don't know whether those people are loyal to the Sox or are just Cubbieville spillover.

I wouldn't consider the South Loop part of the area surrounding Sox Park, this is still pretty much downtown.

npdempse
10-17-2003, 12:41 PM
Nice little post. It will be interesting to see if the City & IIT are successful in gentrifying that neighborhood in the way they want to, whether the Sox fan base (or audience anyway) will increase.

OTOH, it would suck if Comiskey began getting crowds of people who were more like the Cubs "fans" at Wrigley.

soxtalker
10-17-2003, 01:28 PM
Good post. To me it has been pretty clear that this is the main reason that the Cubs are able to draw so much better. If you threw in age factors (20's and 30's single professionals living in the neighborhoods near Wrigley), the trend would be even more obvious. For many people living and/or working in the suburbs, a trip to either ball park is very time-consuming.

maurice
10-17-2003, 03:07 PM
If you have any doubt whether Bridgeport is gentrifying, please stop by the major real estate developments at 33rd and Racine, 38th and Normal, or 35th and Morgan. Bronzeville is doing very well also.

rdivaldi
10-17-2003, 03:09 PM
Glad to see that you guys got some use out of my post.

I live in the 60605/60616 zip code area. I would definitely consider it part of the south side of the city.

woodenleg
10-17-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by rdivaldi
Glad to see that you guys got some use out of my post.

I live in the 60605/60616 zip code area. I would definitely consider it part of the south side of the city.

Oh, it definitely is, but I'm seeing way too many chocolate labs and Rhodesian Ridgebacks around there for my liking.

:D:

rdivaldi
10-17-2003, 03:21 PM
Well, your going to get that. A lot of people migrated from Lincoln Park, Lakeview, etc. to buy homes when mortgage rates went down. I'm always wary of any Flubbie pennants or hats around, so far there hasn't been any sort of influx of them.

As long as the slums continue to be torn down on State Street, soon there will be a safe, direct path to the Cell. If it wasn't for the garbage from 22nd to 28th street, I'd be riding my bike to the ballpark already. The "unsafe neighborhood" lies will be a thing of the past very soon.

ewokpelts
10-17-2003, 05:27 PM
isnt the whole south side "garbage"?
Gene

john2499
10-17-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by maurice
If you have any doubt whether Bridgeport is gentrifying, please stop by the major real estate developments at 33rd and Racine, 38th and Normal, or 35th and Morgan. Bronzeville is doing very well also.

Also, Canaryville has all new streets and some pretty nice new construction.