PDA

View Full Version : Manager Report: Supposedly A New unknown Name Surfaces!

TheRockinMT
10-16-2003, 02:50 PM
The stories being posted mention a new name has surfaced in the manager search. He is not named. Any ideas?

MetalliSox
10-16-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by TheRockinMT
The stories being posted mention a new name has surfaced in the manager search. He is not named. Any ideas?

How can a new name surface but then not have a name?

Lip Man 1
10-16-2003, 03:03 PM
Guess: Willie Randolph

Lip

Dadawg_77
10-16-2003, 03:08 PM
After the success of Trader Jack, the Sox will pursue well old timers, such as Sparky Anderson.

SoxxoS
10-16-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by TheRockinMT

Was this post really inadvertantly funny, or was it just me?

SoxxoS
10-16-2003, 03:21 PM
Also, my guess is: Carlton Fisk. Pure speculation.

voodoochile
10-16-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Was this post really inadvertantly funny, or was it just me?

I changed the title for that exact reason.

Risk
10-16-2003, 03:23 PM
Jim Leyland????

Risk

KingXerxes
10-16-2003, 03:27 PM
I still say this is all a smoke screen. They know who the next manager is, and he's already agreed to terms. If I'm wrong, I hope the guy they are looking at is Jim Leyland.

Unregistered
10-16-2003, 03:29 PM
Ozzie. Canseco.

:KW
"Wait, you thought I meant that Ozzie?"

Mammoo
10-16-2003, 03:32 PM
The name I heard on the Score a couple of days ago was a guy named Graham. :?:

ChiSox14305635
10-16-2003, 03:34 PM
Joe Torre.

Hey, the Yanks can still get knocked out tonight, and we all know Georgie Porgie's been known to change his mind.

Hokiesox
10-16-2003, 03:37 PM
Haven't we hear Leyland's name before though? That wouldn't seem to "new" to me.

My vote: Davey Johnson...just because he'd be cheap/lousy enough for Reinsdorf to like him.

hold2dibber
10-16-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
Haven't we hear Leyland's name before though? That wouldn't seem to "new" to me.

My vote: Davey Johnson...just because he'd be cheap/lousy enough for Reinsdorf to like him.

Why don't you like Davey Johnson? He has a pretty impressive track record. (http://www.baseballreference.com/managers/johnsda02.shtml)

Hokiesox
10-16-2003, 03:54 PM
Aside from 2 years with the Mets and a year with the O's, he didn't do much better than we did this year. He only has a .564 winning %. Not good enough to win a world Series. But, if he develops talent like he did for the 86 Mets, maybe.

npdempse
10-16-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Ozzie. Canseco.

Would Canseco be under "Dugout Arrest"?

Does his ankle bracelet beep if he makes a trip to the mound?

KingXerxes
10-16-2003, 04:10 PM
:farmer

"Now I know you're all wondering who the next manager is going to be, and I've even heard some people mention that they heard the name Graham mentioned over these very same airwaves, and by very same airwaves I mean Chicago's airwaves, not WMVP's airwaves, although we all realize that it's you the listener who owns the airwaves, and we're simply allowed to use them via a lease agreement with the FCC and for that we thank you. Well I think everybody was figuring that the Graham mentioned over the airwaves which we lease was Moonlight Graham who had a single appearance with the New York Giants, but was turned into a star by his appearance in the movie Field of Dreams - man I can't believe how much Doc Graham looked like Burt Lancaster - but anyway it's not him because he's dead....Doc Graham is dead and so is Burt Lancaster. Well if we're talking about dead guys who played baseball that are........or I guess were named Graham..........Rooney are you still named something after you die, or were you named something after you die."

:rooney

"Well I still refer to our first President as George Washington, not the President formerly known as George Washington. You keep your name after you die."

"But what about Saints? Not the one's in New Orleans, but the one's in the Bible. They weren't called St. Peter or St. Paul when they were alive............were they? Well anyway probably the most interesting Grahams that have ever died, and played baseball have to be either the two Skinny Grahams - don't know if they knew each other or not - one was born just outside of Boston, and died just outside of Boston, and played for.......you guessed it - The Red Sox. The other Skinny Graham ..........now when I say Skinny I don't mean they needed to put on a few pounds, although either or both of them may needed to, but I say Skinny because that was their nickname. Anyway the other Skinny Graham's real first name was Kyle - the first Graham I talked about was Arthur - was born in Oak Grove, Alabama died in Oak Grove, Alabama and played for........you guessed it - The Boston Braves. My personal favorite Graham's were Bernie Graham and Barney Graham. Bernie played for the Chicago/Pittsburgh Union League entry in 1884, and then the Baltimore Monumentals of the Union League later on. He was born in Beloit, Wisconsin - but oddly enough died in Mobile, Alabama just two years after playing for The Monumentals. To further compound this mystery, let's fast forward to 1889 where the Philadelphia Athletics have a young third baseman named Barney - not Bernie but Barney - Graham. He would only play this one year for the old American Association Athletics, and then would die only six years later - on New Years Eve - IN MOBILE, ALABAMA. Why are all these Grahams dying in Mobile, Alabama? I don't know, but I'll tell you it just gives me the creeps thinking about it. The next Graham I see who plays major league baseball - well I'm going to tell him to stay the hell away from Mobile, Alabama.............and then I'm going to hang the nickname Skinny on him.........maybe Graeme Lloyd..........yeah Graeme Lloyd!"

"But that would be "Skinny Lloyd". Shouldn't you give Graeme Lloyd the nickname "Cracker" then he could be Graeme Cracker Lloyd?"

:hawk

"I love Graham Crackers. Yessir.................I remember when Camiilo Pascual of the Ol' Washington Senators would eat Graham Crackers between pitches at Ol' Griffith Stadium..............Mercy.................I loved Camillo Pascual."

TheRockinMT
10-16-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
After the success of Trader Jack, the Sox will pursue well old timers, such as Sparky Anderson.

I had hope it might be Al Lopez

TheRockinMT
10-16-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo
The name I heard on the Score a couple of days ago was a guy named Graham. :?:

Doc Graham (Moonlight) to lead us to the Field of Dreams? Great!

kraut83
10-16-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes

"Now I know you're all wondering who the next manager is going to be, and I've even heard some people mention that they heard the name Graham mentioned over these very same airwaves, and by very same airwaves I mean Chicago's airwaves, not WMVP's airwaves, although we all realize that it's you the listener who owns the airwaves, and we're simply allowed to use them via a lease agreement with the FCC and for that we thank you. Well I think everybody was figuring that the Graham mentioned over the airwaves which we lease was Moonlight Graham who had a single appearance with the New York Giants, but was turned into a star by his appearance in the movie Field of Dreams - man I can't believe how much Doc Graham looked like Burt Lancaster - but anyway it's not him because he's dead....Doc Graham is dead and so is Burt Lancaster. Well if we're talking about dead guys who played baseball that are........or I guess were named Graham..........Rooney are you still named something after you die, or were you named something after you die."

"Well I still refer to our first President as George Washington, not the President formerly known as George Washington. You keep your name after you die."

"But what about Saints? Not the one's in New Orleans, but the one's in the Bible. They weren't called St. Peter or St. Paul when they were alive............were they? Well anyway probably the most interesting Grahams that have ever died, and played baseball have to be either the two Skinny Grahams - don't know if they knew each other or not - one was born just outside of Boston, and died just outside of Boston, and played for.......you guessed it - The Red Sox. The other Skinny Graham ..........now when I say Skinny I don't mean they needed to put on a few pounds, although either or both of them may needed to, but I say Skinny because that was their nickname. Anyway the other Skinny Graham's real first name was Kyle - the first Graham I talked about was Arthur - was born in Oak Grove, Alabama died in Oak Grove, Alabama and played for........you guessed it - The Boston Braves. My personal favorite Graham's were Bernie Graham and Barney Graham. Bernie played for the Chicago/Pittsburgh Union League entry in 1884, and then the Baltimore Monumentals of the Union League later on. He was born in Beloit, Wisconsin - but oddly enough died in Mobile, Alabama just two years after playing for The Monumentals. To further compound this mystery, let's fast forward to 1889 where the Philadelphia Athletics have a young third baseman named Barney - not Bernie but Barney - Graham. He would only play this one year for the old American Association Athletics, and then would die only six years later - on New Years Eve - IN MOBILE, ALABAMA. Why are all these Grahams dying in Mobile, Alabama? I don't know, but I'll tell you it just gives me the creeps thinking about it. The next Graham I see who plays major league baseball - well I'm going to tell him to stay the hell away from Mobile, Alabama.............and then I'm going to hang the nickname Skinny on him.........maybe Graeme Lloyd..........yeah Graeme Lloyd!"

"But that would be "Skinny Lloyd". Shouldn't you give Graeme Lloyd the nickname "Cracker" then he could be Graeme Cracker Lloyd?"

:hawk

"I love Graham Crackers. Yessir.................I remember when Camiilo Pascual of the Ol' Washington Senators would eat Graham Crackers between pitches at Ol' Griffith Stadium..............Mercy.................I loved Camillo Pascual."

LMAO!!!! That was one of the most ridiculously funny posts I've ever seen on these boards!

Since were all speculating how about Tommy Lasorda!

Unregistered
10-16-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
Would Canseco be under "Dugout Arrest"?

Does his ankle bracelet beep if he makes a trip to the mound? It's so tempting, but <Insert cheezy "Cell" joke here.> :D:

Randar68
10-16-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by kraut83
LMAO!!!! That was one of the most ridiculously funny posts I've ever seen on these boards!

Since were all speculating how about Tommy Lasorda!

That was classic KingX.

sox_fan_forever
10-16-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes

Thanks, I needed that laugh! :D:

kittle42
10-16-2003, 04:31 PM
I believe the unknown name is Alan Aqua.

FarWestChicago
10-16-2003, 04:46 PM
The King rules!!! LMAO!!!

:bandance:

Hokiesox
10-16-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
I believe the unknown name is Alan Aqua.

WHO?

thepaulbowski
10-16-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

how about Casey Stengel?

JC456
10-16-2003, 05:32 PM
Jerry Manuel?

Just kidding.

Paulwny
10-16-2003, 05:59 PM
Ed Farmer will be the new manager and Kingxerxes will replace Farmer in the radio booth.

hold2dibber
10-16-2003, 06:00 PM
Aside from 2 years with the Mets and a year with the O's, he didn't do much better than we did this year. He only has a .564 winning %. Not good enough to win a world Series. But, if he develops talent like he did for the 86 Mets, maybe.

A .564 winning % translates to 91 wins. 91 wins per year on average is awesome and certainly enough to make a team a WS contender. 5 first place finishes in 12 full years. A world series title. To compare:

Joe Torre career winning percentage: .522
LaRussa: .529
Lasorda: .526
Leyland: .486
Herzog: .532
Sparky Anderson: .545
Weaver: .583

Not bad company. I think Davey Johnson is the real deal - and while I think it is highly unlikely that the Sox have him on the list of candidates, I for one would be damn happy if they did.

kittle42
10-16-2003, 06:28 PM
WHO?

Sorry - I was misinformed. It is actually Anita Quencher, who will be the first female manger. Sally Sox will be the third base coach. The Sox are planning on installing an ATM at third for her personal use.

voodoochile
10-16-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
Sorry - I was misinformed. It is actually Anita Quencher, who will be the first female manger. Sally Sox will be the third base coach. The Sox are planning on installing an ATM at third for her personal use.

Can we at least get a 3rd-base coach who knows how to run without tripping over bases and other runners? :D:

SoxxoS
10-16-2003, 06:44 PM
Davey Johnson would be my #1 choice. He took a pretty average Baltimore team to the playoffs 2 years in a row. After he left, they went right down the crapper...

He would be a fantastic choice. In other words, he isn't going to manage the Sox.

dickallen15
10-16-2003, 07:14 PM
Phoenix newspapers say it Robin Yount.

john2499
10-16-2003, 08:23 PM
Which one ? Any link ?