PDA

View Full Version : Backman Interview Cancelled

Lip Man 1
10-16-2003, 01:30 PM
According to the Daily Southtown the Sox have cancelled the Thursday interview scheduled with Wally Backman in the wake of Joe Cowley's story on his comments to the Twins.

The Southtown also said his future in the organization is in doubt.

Lip

A.T. Money
10-16-2003, 01:33 PM
Why is it you never provide a link?

Come on man, help us out.

ChiSox14305635
10-16-2003, 01:33 PM
Yeah, that's a great way to endear yourself to the players. You ask the Twinkies to beat the crap out of them so you can get the top job. Yeah, the players are gonna really go all out to play for you. Genius.

A.T. Money
10-16-2003, 01:37 PM
I found it.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/162sd3.htm

Irishsox1
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/162sd3.htm

hold2dibber
Originally posted by A.T. Money
Why is it you never provide a link?

Come on man, help us out.

Here's the link. (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/162sd3.htm) The article says that Buddy Bell is the front runner. Yuck.

Jerko
10-16-2003, 01:39 PM
Hey, I rooted against Manuel once I knew the Sox were out of it, I wonder if they will let ME back in?

SoxxoS
10-16-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Here's the link. (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/162sd3.htm) The article says that Buddy Bell is the front runner. Yuck.

Why don't you like Buddy Bell. He would definitely be my choice over any of those other clowns...

His record is crap, but the key is is that the teams didn't get any better following his tenure. It's not like he left and the teams went to the playoffs.

CHISOXFAN13
10-16-2003, 01:54 PM
At least now we know why the Sox players were in an uproar about Backman being considered for the job.

KingXerxes
10-16-2003, 02:38 PM
This story - if true - should result iin the immediate termination of Backman with the White Sox organization.

bc2k
10-16-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
At least now we know why the Sox players were in an uproar about Backman being considered for the job.

You don't know that to be true. It is more likely that Sox players didn't want to give up their JM icecream and work like Backman would have made them do.

hold2dibber
10-16-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Why don't you like Buddy Bell. He would definitely be my choice over any of those other clowns...

His record is crap, but the key is is that the teams didn't get any better following his tenure. It's not like he left and the teams went to the playoffs.

I don't have any reason to think Buddy Bell would be a good choice. He did not fare well in either of his two MLB managerial stints. That his lousy teams didn't get better when he left is hardly the kind of fan-base-exhilerating hire that I'm looking for here. The best you can argue, I think, is that Bell has not been proven to be a lousy manager yet - but there is no evidence to suggest that he is a good manager either. I was hoping for a manager who would command respect from the players the minute he walked through the door - someone like Jim Leyland or Davey Johnson. Buddy Bell obviously does not fit in that category. But, of course, neither do any of the other candidates being mentioned (other than, arguably, Cito Gaston - but I've heard a lot of things about him that make me question whether he is well-suited for this paticular job).

Bisco Stu
10-16-2003, 09:39 PM
This sucks. I was easily the biggest Backman backer on this board because of my Mets loyalties.

Now? Terminate him immediately.

What a friggin disappointment. He was the right man for the right job.

MRKARNO
10-16-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu
This sucks. I was easily the biggest Backman backer on this board because of my Mets loyalties.

Now? Terminate him immediately.

What a friggin disappointment. He was the right man for the right job.

Well he musta not been the right man if everyone in the sox' clubhouse hates him

Nick@Nite
10-16-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13

Originally posted by bc2k

You don't know that to be true. It is more likely that Sox players didn't want to give up their JM icecream and work like Backman would have made them do.

I always feel that the truth lies somewhere in the middle... after JM, the Sox need a jerk for a manager, but not that type of jerk .

AsInWreck
10-16-2003, 09:52 PM
You mean the Sox should terminate Backman due to a claim made an unnamed coach of the very enemy team that he supposedly called to support? That's like dumping a girl because a guy that likes her told you she likes him.

Tragg
10-16-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
This story - if true - should result iin the immediate termination of Backman with the White Sox organization.

And I can't imagine anyone hiring the guy with that sense of loyalty and team

voodoochile
10-17-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by AsInWreck
You mean the Sox should terminate Backman due to a claim made an unnamed coach of the very enemy team that he supposedly called to support? That's like dumping a girl because a guy that likes her told you she likes him.

Why risk it? In addition, hasn't KW been making a big deal about "team first attitude"? How does Backman's behavior feed into that concept?

Later Wally, we hardly knew ye...

jeremyb1
10-17-2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Why risk it? In addition, hasn't KW been making a big deal about "team first attitude"? How does Backman's behavior feed into that concept?

Later Wally, we hardly knew ye...

According to the Trib we interviewed Backman today so this story doesn't appear to be accurate.

Link. (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-031016soxmain,1,376236.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

SoxxoS
10-17-2003, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
According to the Trib we interviewed Backman today so this story doesn't appear to be accurate.

Link. (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-031016soxmain,1,376236.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Now that is interesting. Somebody is lying here.

thepaulbowski
10-17-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Now that is interesting. Somebody is lying here.

somebody, lied :o:

34 Inch Stick
10-17-2003, 10:41 AM
Well Joe Cowley is an infrequent poster to this board. Let's get him on and see if he would lower himself to commenting to the people who do not know the game.

By the way he made a comment about Backman a while back on the radio. He said something to the effect that Backman would not be the answer but gave no reason as to why. I am assuming Cowley hasn't been watching to many Baron games so he does not have first hand knowledge of his coaching style. Maybe he was aware of the Backman comment at that time.

Iwritecode
10-17-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by AsInWreck

That's kinda what I was thinking. At least get some confirmation that he actually said that and that it wasn't taken out of context or something.

We all know Gardenhire is a reliable source and would never want to start any trouble within the Sox organization.

Maybe he's afraid that the Sox might actually improve under Backman???

Remember, the Twins all but named Manuel their MVP last year because of all his boneheaded moves...

StillMissOzzie
10-17-2003, 03:42 PM
According to the story in the Sun Times (sorry, no link), KW was already aware of the allegations before they surfaced in the public. If that's the case, maybe KW had already made up his mind about Backman. I don't think anyone likes that kind of job campaigning, though.

:gulp:
SMO

hold2dibber
10-17-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
According to the story in the Sun Times (sorry, no link), KW was already aware of the allegations before they surfaced in the public. If that's the case, maybe KW had already made up his mind about Backman. I don't think anyone likes that kind of job campaigning, though.

:gulp:
SMO

My guess is that KW knew of the allegations but wanted to give Backman a chance, via an interview, to present his side of the story.

Mammoo
10-17-2003, 04:37 PM
Sounds like a smear campaign orchestrated by the lily-livered players that are afraid he'll get the job!!! :angry: