PDA

View Full Version : Brad Fullmer Released.


Dadawg_77
10-16-2003, 10:25 AM
If the Sox could only find a taker for Pauly, Brad would be a better replacement for cheaper. This assumes his knee heals properly.


http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1638764

hold2dibber
10-16-2003, 10:29 AM
I would love to see the Sox take a look at Fullmer. He is a professional hitter (although, IIRC, he can't hit leftis). He also seems to me to be a "grinder" in KW terms - i.e., a guy who plays hard all the time. I'd like to have him or Daubach of someone of that ilk on the squad next year (maybe Jeff Leifer!) - a left handed bat with some pop. That way, if PK doesn't get his act together in a hurry, he can sit on the bench and think of ways to spend his $8 million instead of killing rallies and clogging up the basepaths.

Dadawg_77
10-16-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I would love to see the Sox take a look at Fullmer. He is a professional hitter (although, IIRC, he can't hit leftis). He also seems to me to be a "grinder" in KW terms - i.e., a guy who plays hard all the time. I'd like to have him or Daubach of someone of that ilk on the squad next year (maybe Jeff Leifer!) - a left handed bat with some pop. That way, if PK doesn't get his act together in a hurry, he can sit on the bench and think of ways to spend his $8 million instead of killing rallies and clogging up the basepaths.


I don't think the Sox will have enough room for Daubach and Fullmer. Pauly does kill lefties so that would be a great platoon. Brad faces righties and Paul faces Lefties.

MHOUSE
10-16-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
I don't think the Sox will have enough room for Daubach and Fullmer. Pauly does kill lefties so that would be a great platoon. Brad faces righties and Paul faces Lefties.

I like this idea. Give Fullmer a chance.

fuzzy_patters
10-16-2003, 12:13 PM
Actually Fullmer hit okay against lefties last year. He just hits righties a bit better.

2003 splits:

vs LHP .267/.324/.400/.724
vs RHP .313/.398/.517/.915

As you can see, Fullmer has an OPS that is nearly .200 points higher vs RHP than vs LHP, but .724 is not terrible either. He could be a really good aquisition.

Lip Man 1
10-16-2003, 12:15 PM
Folks:

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought Daubach only signed for one season. The way the late Manager Gandhi used him I seriously doubt he'll resign with the Sox.

Lip

fuzzy_patters
10-16-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Folks:

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought Daubach only signed for one season. The way the late Manager Gandhi used him I seriously doubt he'll resign with the Sox.

Lip

I agree. That is even more reason to look at Brad Fullmer.

Dadawg_77
10-16-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Folks:

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought Daubach only signed for one season. The way the late Manager Gandhi used him I seriously doubt he'll resign with the Sox.

Lip


Well JM is gone, so depending on a new manager Daubach might stay. But I think Fullmer is a better player, so I would much rather see him in a Sox uni.

RKMeibalane
10-16-2003, 12:43 PM
This could work. Fullmer's a good hitter, and the fact that he bats left-handed doesn't hurt. I especially like the idea of a Fullmer-Konerko platoon at DH. That would allow Frank to move back to first base, and it would also alleviate the problem of Konerko grounding into double-plays. That was a serious problem in 2003, one that needs to be corrected. Signing Fullmer just might do the trick.

Dadawg_77
10-16-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
This could work. Fullmer's a good hitter, and the fact that he bats left-handed doesn't hurt. I especially like the idea of a Fullmer-Konerko platoon at DH. That would allow Frank to move back to first base, and it would also alleviate the problem of Konerko grounding into double-plays. That was a serious problem in 2003, one that needs to be corrected. Signing Fullmer just might do the trick.

Or how about a Fullmer-Frank platoon at DH and Frank-Paul platoon at 1B?

daveeym
10-16-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Or how about a Fullmer-Frank platoon at DH and Frank-Paul platoon at 1B?

NO Manuel had too many positions platooning. The Sox need to get away from that. Catchers only please.

hold2dibber
10-16-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by daveeym
NO Manuel had too many positions platooning. The Sox need to get away from that. Catchers only please.

Why? No platooning just for the sake of no platooning?

Dadawg_77
10-16-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by daveeym
NO Manuel had too many positions platooning. The Sox need to get away from that. Catchers only please.

When done well platooning is a great way to maximize your strengths and hide your weaknesses. Jerry did a horrible job platooning people. Konerko destroys lefties but has a hard time facing righties, Fullmer(or who ever) hits righties but is that good vs lefties. So since Paul will have a .900 + OPS vs Lefties but .700 when facing righties and Brad(or who ever) has a .900+ OPS facing righties but a .724OPS facing lefties, a good platoon gets you .900+ OPS for that spot in the lineup.

Please don't base your view on platooning based on what Jerry did. He was no good at it.

Deadguy
10-16-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
When done well platooning is a great way to maximize your strengths and hide your weaknesses. Jerry did a horrible job platooning people. Konerko destroys lefties but has a hard time facing righties, Fullmer(or who ever) hits righties but is that good vs lefties. So since Paul will have a .900 + OPS vs Lefties but .700 when facing righties and Brad(or who ever) has a .900+ OPS facing righties but a .724OPS facing lefties, a good platoon gets you .900+ OPS for that spot in the lineup.

Please don't base your view on platooning based on what Jerry did. He was no good at it.

It's pointless to waste 8 million dollars on a guy who will only be platooned to face LHP, who we probably face only 25-30% of the time.

If Konerko's on the roster next year, it's a guarantee that he won't be platooned, and he will get a large bulk of the playing time. It is hard for an organization to justify giving that much money to a guy, and then have him on the bench for nearly 70% of the games. Whether or not it would be more beneficial for the team is irrelevent because of Konerko's salary.

Obviously getting rid of Konerko is addition by subtraction, since we can easilly replace him with an equivalent like Fullmer for 7 million dollars/year less, but the Sox have to play Konerko in order to try and justify that he has some value, if they hope to get rid of him.

If Konerko was in the last year of his contract, the Sox would be better off just releasing him, but since he is owed 17 million dollars over the next two years, that's an impossibility. The Devil Rays were faced with the same problem with Greg Vaughn in 2002, as well as the Pirates with Kevin Young.

SoxxoS
10-16-2003, 01:23 PM
Wouldn't the team we would allegedly trade Konerko to realize that they can just sign Fullmer? I realize there probably would be another big salary involved, but still...

thepaulbowski
10-16-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
maybe Jeff Leifer![/COLOR]) - a left handed bat with some pop.

Just hearing Jeff Leifer's names make me angry. :angry: We don't need anymore slow people who can't hit for average. He's not a grinder, he's a whiner.

hold2dibber
10-17-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
Just hearing Jeff Leifer's names make me angry. :angry: We don't need anymore slow people who can't hit for average. He's not a grinder, he's a whiner.

I was kidding (hence the teal).

Another possible guy to fill the Daubach slot is Ventura. Left handed bat, can play 3B or 1B, still has some pop.

poorme
10-17-2003, 12:43 PM
How about we go at least one offseason without signing a DH?

hold2dibber
10-17-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by poorme
How about we go at least one offseason without signing a DH?

Ha!

Good point. But still, the Sox are going to need a left handed bat off the bench (other than Willie Harris), right?

poorme
10-17-2003, 01:22 PM
I'd prefer someone who could play a couple of positions.