PDA

View Full Version : Renovation update

CHISOXFAN13
10-16-2003, 11:14 AM
Drove by the park 20 minutes ago, and workers are on top of the roof beginning to remove the lights!!

Two large cranes are also in position in the parking lot next to gate 3.

soxnut
10-16-2003, 11:24 AM
Good to hear.......I think I'll take a drive down there tomorow or saturday to check on the progress

doublem23
10-16-2003, 11:26 AM
If anyone's got the time to snap a few pics, they would be greatly appreciated by those of us who can't take a casual Sunday drive past The Cell.

Thanks! :)

MarqSox
10-16-2003, 12:57 PM
Presumably reduced capacity in the upper deck will be regained elsewhere, such as a home run deck ... but that seems like a major undertaking, more than can be done this offseason (or am I wrong on that). Are we looking at a capacity of like 38k this year or what? Anybody know?

Brian26
10-16-2003, 01:20 PM
Very interesting. I never really even thought about this, but I would presume that the new roof will require a completely new lighting design. Yet, they will still have to match the lights already constructed in the outfield. Should be interesting to see what they come up with.

kittle42
10-16-2003, 01:24 PM
While they're tearing stuff down, how about just using a wrecking ball on the whole damn thing and moving on to the south loop?

anewman35
10-16-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
While they're tearing stuff down, how about just using a wrecking ball on the whole damn thing and moving on to the south loop?

How about no.

Irishsox1
10-16-2003, 01:25 PM
Here is an article about the work from the Southtown.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/yrtwn/seast/155seyt1.htm

Hondo
10-16-2003, 01:36 PM

Yeah I'm not down with that at all. Why don't we move it next to the Urinal so we could enjoy the benefits of Wrigleyville?

Wake up man.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-16-2003, 01:37 PM
Reifert says there is another phase to the renovation that does not involve the upper deck scheduled for next year, too. That might mean a home run porch, or it might not.

As usual the Sox keep everybody guessing. Who is surprised?

A.T. Money
10-16-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Reifert says there is another phase to the renovation that does not involve the upper deck scheduled for next year, too. That might mean a home run porch, or it might not.

Why all the hush hush? They have already started!

PaleHoseGeorge
10-16-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by A.T. Money
Why all the hush hush? They have already started!

Indeed, the construction has already started. So naturally the Sox are planning to hold a press conference in November.

Cart, front. Horse, back.

Typical White Sox. They could screw up a one-car funeral.

Dadawg_77
10-16-2003, 01:44 PM
One thing to rember the story for baseball now is the playoffs. MLB doesn't want its teams making news until Nov so Playoffs and World Series stay in everyones minds.

A.T. Money
10-16-2003, 01:45 PM
If I like the way the upperdeck is going to turn out, I may renew my season tickets in the first couple rows. I had bleachers last year, but I may make a change.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-16-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
One thing to rember the story for baseball now is the playoffs. MLB doesn't want its teams making news until Nov so Playoffs and World Series stay in everyones minds.

Fine. Hold the press conference in September. Hold the press conference on an off day. (There is one coming up tomorrow.) But hold the press conference before the news breaks, for crying out loud. You can't hide a crane!

Do the White Sox need somebody to draw them a picture?

Nope. Reifert is going to stick to his script. Between Reifert, Gallas, and Reinsdorf, I'm not sure who is dumbest at p.r.

voodoochile
10-16-2003, 01:59 PM
Indeed, the construction has already started. So naturally the Sox are planning to hold a press conference in November.

Cart, front. Horse, back.

Typical White Sox. They could screw up a one-car funeral.

Actually, I am glad they haven't said anything yet. Why get the message lost in the flubbie media orgy?

They aren't losing anything but a few weeks. They might even move the announcement up now that the playoffs are no longer in Chicago, but the next week is going to be devoted to the sad ending to the "great 2003 flubbie team that managed to finally win a series in the post season" an assessment of how bad the Bears actually are, a few columns about the Hawks and the beginning of their season and some mutedly optimistic Bulls articles.

The Sox should tell everyone what is up when all of that has been dealt with. Then steal some headlines.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-16-2003, 02:09 PM
If you hold a press conference, and nobody is there to listen, does it make a sound?

Whatever splash the Sox could make with this news is being ruined as we speak. The cranes are there. The seats are out. The upper deck is being renovated. We already know it. The rest of the world that doesn't know really doesn't care to hear *OLD* news. All of us have eyes and can see for ourselves. By November there is no news here.

The point of having a press conference is badly diluted by waiting days, weeks, months after the event has already begun. This is anti-public relations. Frankly I don't know why they should even bother holding a press conference, unless they have even bigger news to announce, too.

:?:

voodoochile
10-16-2003, 02:12 PM
If you hold a press conference, and nobody is there to listen, does it make a sound?

Whatever splash the Sox could make with this news is being ruined as we speak. The cranes are there. The seats are out. The upper deck is being renovated. We already know it. The rest of the world that doesn't know really doesn't care to hear *OLD* news. All of us have eyes and can see for ourselves. By November there is no news here.

The point of having a press conference is badly diluted by waiting days, weeks, months after the event has already begun. This is anti-public relations. Frankly I don't know why they should even bother holding a press conference, unless they have even bigger news to announce, too.

Do strippers come to the stage with or without clothes on?

It's a little titilation. Maybe Mark G will go out and get one final shot of the blue seats lying in the street and wonder what is going on. Hopefully the plans are grandiose enough to make a splash when they hit. Announce it two weeks ago and absolutely NO ONE cares. You get maybe 10 seconds in one news broadcast. Now you might get 30 seconds and a reporter on-site.

NewyorkSoxFan
10-16-2003, 02:16 PM

PHG, I tend to disagree with you. If they had a PC during the Cubs run, talk about a tree falling in the forest, it would have been a small blurb in a paper and a 30 sec spot on the news. And of course the Sox would have been accused of trying to steal headlines.

I like the fact that even though the work will be in progress it is a long process, so its not like the PC will be held and the work is complete, its the first of many stages to this offseason renovations. So I think it was smart to wait, I'm sure the manager will be named by then, and they will be making some waves in the news.

NYSF

hold2dibber
10-16-2003, 02:17 PM

But the doing of the work isn't the news, the finished project is the news. Who cares if they've already started the work - a press conference in which they say "here's what we're doing, look at these pretty glossy pictures of what the park is going to look like next opening day" would certainly get some attention, but is better suited for later this month or November, after the Cub hysteria dies down a bit.

anewman35
10-16-2003, 02:18 PM
Fine. Hold the press conference in September. Hold the press conference on an off day. (There is one coming up tomorrow.) But hold the press conference before the news breaks, for crying out loud. You can't hide a crane!

If people see what's going on, but they don't announce something, people start wondering about it, and might start talking about it, which can spread excitement about the project early. That's a good thing, I think.

kittle42
10-16-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Hondo
Yeah I'm not down with that at all. Why don't we move it next to the Urinal so we could enjoy the benefits of Wrigleyville?

Wake up man.

My point is that despite the fact that it looks a lot better now than it did 10 years ago, it still pales in comparison to a bunch of other parks.

anewman35
10-16-2003, 02:24 PM
My point is that despite the fact that it looks a lot better now than it did 10 years ago, it still pales in comparison to a bunch of other parks.

Well, put up the $500 million or so and I'm sure the Sox will be happy to listen...

xil357
10-16-2003, 02:39 PM
I am excited about the renovations. I will make doubly sure that my annual trip to Chicago will be during a White Sox homestand.

I don't have a problem that it has not yet officially been announced. Before I jump on them for disastrous PR, I'll wait to see how and when they announce it.

They may announce it at the same time they introduce a new manager.

It would be foolish for them to announce this while the Cubs were still alive in the playoffs. It would be buried. It would be an invitation for belittlement from the likes of Mariotti, who would mention it only in the third or fourth paragraph of yet another Cubs column: "And don't be fooled. Its just another pitiful effort on the part of Sox managment to try -- and fail -- to replicate the success of vastly superior Cubs and try to improve the fatally flawed whatever-they-call-the-ballmall-these-days."

If the Sox are going to get ripped by Mariotti, then they might as well wait to allow Mariotti a full column to tear them a new one and not have to fight for the ink.

Let's cut the Sox some slack and give them the benefit of the doubt. They are, after all, addressing one of the major complaints that folks have had about the stadium, presumably to improve ticket sales and revenues. They are trying. Very trying.

kittle42
10-16-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
Well, put up the $500 million or so and I'm sure the Sox will be happy to listen...

A penny here, a penny there....I'll let you know in about 673 years.

Eddie Gaedel
10-16-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by A.T. Money
If I like the way the upperdeck is going to turn out, I may renew my season tickets in the first couple rows. I had bleachers last year, but I may make a change.

I have season tickets in the upper deck behind home plate, 2nd row. They're way better seats for watching the game. Although the service upstairs is not as good, I still can't believe bleachers are more expensive!

A.T. Money
10-16-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Eddie Gaedel
I have season tickets in the upper deck behind home plate, 2nd row. They're way better seats for watching the game. Although the service upstairs is not as good, I still can't believe bleachers are more expensive!

The outfield was fun, but I think I'd rather be sitting IN the stadium where I can see all the scoreboards better. If they are redoing the upperdeck, that may be a cool place to be.

TornLabrum
10-16-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
If people see what's going on, but they don't announce something, people start wondering about it, and might start talking about it, which can spread excitement about the project early. That's a good thing, I think.

You mean like we're doing here?????

joecrede
10-16-2003, 09:48 PM

PHG, you know how this outfit works. I have it on good authority that the Chairman has dispatched trusted assistant Al Vermeil to transport a well disguised construction crew from Milwaukee to 35th St. under cover of night. :smile:

:reinsy
"When we have something to announce we'll announce it."

roofshot87
10-16-2003, 09:58 PM
I called the Sox today to inquire about season tickets for the upcoming season. During my conversation I asked what would be happening to the ballpark during the offseason. The sales rep said that the upper deck would be decreased and a full size roof would be covering it. Yes, we have known this for awhile, but the HR porch wont be happening until 2005 the offseason. So I guess they are doing this one step at a time.