PDA

View Full Version : Our future manager mocks Flubs fans

MarqSox
10-16-2003, 09:42 AM
Before the game, Marlins coach Ozzie Guillen - a 13-year White Sox player - was yelling to fans: "You guys are so quiet today. What happened? Yesterday it was 'Go Cubs! Go Cubs!' Today, it's ..."

With that Guillen zipped his lips with his fingers.

No need to say it.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/127473p-114054c.html
:)

1951Campbell
10-16-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox

God bless you Ozzie, and all the best to you.

(He's still the only pro sports player I've ever met.)

jortafan
10-16-2003, 12:42 PM
The more the thought lingers in my head and the more I get used to it, I'm kind of liking the notion of Ozzie Guillen as the next White Sox manager.

doublem23
10-16-2003, 02:05 PM
Well, he will understand the Sox-Cubs rivalry.

voodoochile
10-16-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
The more the thought lingers in my head and the more I get used to it, I'm kind of liking the notion of Ozzie Guillen as the next White Sox manager.

It's called cognitive disonance (sp?). You are convinced it is going to happen, so you convince yourself it will be alright... :D:

DrCrawdad
10-16-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox

I don't know how Ozzie would be as a manager. If you watched the last three Cub games then you saw that at least as far as in-game managing Dusty is not the best.

At least if Ozzie were to become manager we'll have someone who in the first year will know the importance of the cross-town games. Not like Dusty who somehow claimed that he didn't realize the rivalry.

Sox4Life
10-16-2003, 02:21 PM
I would love Ozzie as the Manager. The cross town rivalry isn't all the sox need to worry about next year, but it's nice for him to understand what it means to be part of the Sox. Plus, the fans already love him. I mean, i'd be ready to support Ozzie in his first year of being a manager if it came to that. I'm all for him :)

Deadguy
10-16-2003, 02:24 PM
I'm really starting to warm up to the idea of Ozzie as the next manager of the White Sox.

I wonder how he and Frank would get along.

KingXerxes
10-16-2003, 02:37 PM
That episode - if true - is the precise reason I don't want Ozzie Guillen as the manager of this team. It's a no class move. I'm sure a lot of guys on this board think it's hilarious because it came against Cub fans, but I guarantee you that it's no way to run a railroad.

Ozzie Guillen will be disaster as manager - you heard it here first.

BroadwyBabyMiami
10-16-2003, 02:43 PM
Dusty very obviously showed that he didn't trust a lot of his players by trying to manage around them. McKeon showed complete faith in his players. Result= two of the biggest slump players of this series came through with huge hits for the Marlins.

I think Ozzie has learned a lot about managing from Jack this year. He is very enthusiastic and also shows faith in his players (only time i saw otherwise is when he told Willis to stop at second after that big hit. Willis kept going anyways and slid into third for a triple in the Giants series)

We will miss him greatly but if we must lose Ozzie to someone i say it should be the White Sox.

Hokiesox
10-16-2003, 03:57 PM
broadway:

we had him first and we want him back!

ewokpelts
10-16-2003, 04:09 PM
Hey,

IF Ozzie were to become manager, I would wager that he and Frank would be ok with each other. You have to remember that when Frank came up in 1990, Ozzie was a co-captain. Frank would already be used to dealing with Ozzie as a superior. I think if they are friends before this, it wont affect thier working relationship.
Gene

KingXerxes
10-16-2003, 04:16 PM
As co-captain, Ozzie Guillen had no authority to bench Frank Thomas, or make him do anything against his wishes. It is an entirely different kettle of fish if Guillen starts making decision which will affect Thomas's earning power.

Even if they are best of friends - which I doubt - that can be the worst person to have as a boss. They need to get somebody who will command respect, not firendship - and certainly not goofy hijinks.

minastirith67
10-16-2003, 05:13 PM
Aren't we all assuming that Frank is coming back at all next season? Even that's not guaranteed. KW is right in that the first thing that needs to happen is for Colon to be resigned and the rest of the pieces fall into place, hopefully with Big Frank on board. The idea of Ozzie Guillen as our manager sounds appealling right now but I'm not totally convinced of the idea. It's probably worth a shot, though. Better than him remaining a Marlin though it was nice to see his "other" team beating the Cubs. I hope we can retain Colon, Thomas, a host of other players, get rid of Konerko, and possibly (though it is doubtful) pick up Nick Johnson (without trading Magglio).

JC456
10-16-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by BroadwyBabyMiami
Dusty very obviously showed that he didn't trust a lot of his players by trying to manage around them. McKeon showed complete faith in his players. Result= two of the biggest slump players of this series came through with huge hits for the Marlins.

I think Ozzie has learned a lot about managing from Jack this year. He is very enthusiastic and also shows faith in his players (only time i saw otherwise is when he told Willis to stop at second after that big hit. Willis kept going anyways and slid into third for a triple in the Giants series)

We will miss him greatly but if we must lose Ozzie to someone i say it should be the White Sox.

Yes, but think about it. It would be the second manager in a row who came from the Marlins. Do we really want or need that?