PDA

View Full Version : why Sox fans should be disappointed with Cubbie flop

captain54
10-16-2003, 12:40 AM
If the Cubs had gone on and been in the World Series, it would have put the Sox and Reinsdorf & Co. in the postion of being forced to avoid being a blip on the Chicago sports scene....

as it stands now, the Cubs have saved Reiney & Co. from rescuing the Sox from Chicago sports oblivion....the Cubs now will slink back to their ever comfortable role as "lovable losers" ....

I'm all for backing Reiney and the big millioniare money boys into a corner and forcing them to open up the pocketbooks and put the proper funding into building a winner here on the South Side...

whatever it takes..

Jerko
10-16-2003, 12:49 AM
Cap, like I said somewhere else on this board, the fact that the MARLINS have already won a WS, dumped the entire team right after winning it, and are back AGAIN, THAT should be enough embarrassment for a charter member of the American League. I know what you're sayin though, it should be like that, but unfortunately, I don't think it is.

Lip Man 1
10-16-2003, 12:51 AM
Captain:

With respect the fact that the Cubs lost does nothing to Uncle Jerry. He has already said on two occasions publicly since June 2002 that he doesn't care about the Cubs.

Whether the Cubs won or lost will not effect his 2004 budget which Ken Williams has already hinted will not be going up much despite drawing alomst two million fans. Uncle Jerry wasn't going to raise the payroll to 70 million under any circumstances.

As far as the Sox being "oblivious," the Sox are already oblivious based on current ownerships unwillingness to spend money, its disasterous PR moves over 20 years and it's confrontational approach towards players, agents, fans and the media.

The Cubs have nothing to do with the Sox problems, they are self inflicted.

soxnut
10-16-2003, 12:54 AM
The reason why I am disappointed in the Cubs flop is that..............what if these curses are really real? The Cubs have lost......the goat curse...........what if the Red Sox lose......the curse of the Bambino..........does that mean our Black Sox curse will still be in effect?????? :?: :(: Just wondering......

Iwritecode
10-16-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
The reason why I am disappointed in the Cubs flop is that..............what if these curses are really real? The Cubs have lost......the goat curse...........what if the Red Sox lose......the curse of the Bambino..........does that mean our Black Sox curse will still be in effect?????? :?: :(: Just wondering......

The "ex-Cubs" curse and the "Balboni" curse were lifted when the D-backs won the WS a couple of years ago. The curses aren't real, the Cubs just suck. As far as the Red Sox go, they are just lucky enough to be in the same division as the Yankees...

Fisk Fan
10-16-2003, 07:23 AM
I have no reason to be dissapointed in the Flubs blowing that series. Stop wrecking my great day by saying we should be dissapointed. Where have you been the last month? We have been force-fed blue and red, Kid K, God (Prior), Busty, Anus Ramirez and how the Flubs have the greatest fans in baseball. Give me a freakin' break! I should be dissapointed? What a crock! :chunks

vegyrex
10-16-2003, 07:49 AM
No way I'm disappointment. Watching the Flubs fall is a wonderful thing.

Its like watching the death star explode in Star Wars. :D:

hold2dibber
10-16-2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by captain54
If the Cubs had gone on and been in the World Series, it would have put the Sox and Reinsdorf & Co. in the postion of being forced to avoid being a blip on the Chicago sports scene....

as it stands now, the Cubs have saved Reiney & Co. from rescuing the Sox from Chicago sports oblivion....the Cubs now will slink back to their ever comfortable role as "lovable losers" ....

I'm all for backing Reiney and the big millioniare money boys into a corner and forcing them to open up the pocketbooks and put the proper funding into building a winner here on the South Side...

whatever it takes..

The Sox are already in Chicago sports oblivion and are in danger of being a blip on the Chicago sports scene. Despite not advancing to the WS, the Cubs have, by this post season run, further cemented their position as the top dog in this town. Plus, with Prior and Wood on the roster, they're a legit contender next year, too. Right now, JR is either thinking:

(1) "I don't care about the Cubs, no matter what they do, it doesn't change how we operate." (In which case, it wouldn't have made an iota of difference for the Sox if the Cubs won the WS.)

OR

(2) "Holy crap, look at how the Cubs' post season run has further cemented their place as the top dog in this town, and look at how they still have the horses to make a go of it again next year. We'd better step it up on the South Side!" (In which case, it wouldn't have made any difference to the Sox if the Cubs won the WS.)

I think it is doubtful that JR is thinking "Whoa - that was close. If the Cubs had won the WS, only THEN would we have had to start really trying on the South Side." The point being, JR is either oblivious to the competition or he realizes already that the Sox are behind the eight ball.

SoxRulecubsdrool
10-16-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Fisk Fan
I have no reason to be dissapointed in the Flubs blowing that series. Stop wrecking my great day by saying we should be dissapointed. Where have you been the last month? We have been force-fed blue and red, Kid K, God (Prior), Busty, Anus Ramirez and how the Flubs have the greatest fans in baseball. Give me a freakin' break! I should be dissapointed? What a crock! :chunks

Thank you so much for saying that. Disappointed? No way!

Eddie Gaedel
10-16-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by vegyrex

or seeing all those people melt at the end of 'raiders of the lost ark'.

michned
10-16-2003, 08:45 AM

Uncle Jerry has always treated the Sox like a business. He can say all he wants about what a fan he is and how he would trade the six Bulls rings for one World Series trophy. The bottom line is the bottom line. His angle will always be how much money he can make from his business dealings. In his mind, the Cubs' success has him thinking he will draw less fans next year. Don't be shocked if they go with a rookie manager and LOWER payroll. The fan part will always come second.

And don't forget, he's from Brooklyn so his heart would never be in it the way a third or fourth generation Sox fan's would.

soxrme
10-16-2003, 08:47 AM

Agreed, now KW needs to get going on us winning a damn pennant :gulp: :gulp:

Hangar18
10-16-2003, 08:50 AM

whatever it takes..

Jerry Reinsdorf, The SOX, and us Fans GOT LUCKY. We Were On the BRINK of extinction had the cubs won. Look at the attn theyre getting for LOSING. Imagine if they wouldve won?
THE SOX GOT THE BREAK THEY NEEDED. THEY NEED TO GO ALL OUT for NEXT YEAR. Fill their Holes. Add Pitching. Keep Players. WE have a CHANCE....TAKE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vegyrex
10-16-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Jerry Reinsdorf, The SOX, and us Fans GOT LUCKY. We Were On the BRINK of extinction had the cubs won. Look at the attn theyre getting for LOSING. Imagine if they wouldve won?
THE SOX GOT THE BREAK THEY NEEDED. THEY NEED TO GO ALL OUT for NEXT YEAR. Fill their Holes. Add Pitching. Keep Players. WE have a CHANCE....TAKE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, we dodged a bullet.
We had our brush with death.

chosk8
10-16-2003, 10:51 AM
Yep, we dodged a bullet.
We had our brush with death.

What we need to do now is get to the World Series next year and win it, then say "That's how it's done Chicago."

Easier said than done.

Dan H
10-16-2003, 11:13 AM
I definately think a Cubs WS win or lose, would have put pressure on the Sox to do something. How they would have reacted is up to question. I still think inaction on the part of the Sox is not excusable and Sox fans should let the ownership know that more of the same is not acceptable. Every baseball fan in Chicago has waited too long. If I were running the Sox, I'd be even more motivated to do something, but I am not running the Sox.

Paulwny
10-16-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Dan H
I definately think a Cubs WS win or lose, would have put pressure on the Sox to do something.

Agree,
I don't believe JR's statement about not following the cubs. He wouldn't have become a successful businessman without watching the competition.

captain54
10-16-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Captain:

With respect the fact that the Cubs lost does nothing to Uncle Jerry. He has already said on two occasions publicly since June 2002 that he doesn't care about the Cubs.

well, he's full of ****......

have you ever know Reiney to tell the truth publicly??

Reiney has never been backed into corner because the Cubs have never won anything....I still contend that if the Cubs had won or at least gone to the WS the Sox would hold the title of longest without a WS appearance....

The fact remains Reiney still has to put asses in the seats, and history shows that fans don't show up at his ballparks when they have to pay to see a loser on the field.....