PDA

View Full Version : The Curse Cast by Me that REALLY sank the Cubs

Viva Magglio
10-16-2003, 01:05 AM
Now that the Cubs have been eliminated, I can reveal to you the curse I cast upon them. I did it this past Sunday. On that day of the week, I am a Eucharsitic Minister at the 10:30 Mass at Loyola University's Madonna della Strada Chapel. I live in the Southwest burbs. So, obviously, Lake Shore Drive is a part of my route.

When I was coming back from Loyola, on southbound Lake Shore Drive, I decided to deviate from my usual course. I got off Lake Shore Drive at Belmont, took inner Lake Shore Drive north to Addision, and took Addison to the intersection of Addison and Sheffield.

What I did next is cast the curse upon the Cubs. Behind the wheel of my car, I circled the block around Wrigley Field in a clockwise pattern (Addison-Sheffield to Addison-Clark to Clark-Waveland to Waveland-Sheffield to Sheffield-Addison) chanting "O-E-O...MAG-GLI-OOO." The Marlins were down 3-1 to the Cubs at the time, and the the chicken counting had begun among their fans and the Chicago media. I decided to cast the curse upon what Dave Wills calls "The Shrine," and I know of one time curse this worked before.

In August of 1999, I was visiting Green Bay and took the tour of Lambeau Field. As a Bears fan, I felt very uncomfortable being there. But I wanted to see Lambeau because of its NFL historical significance. I was battling a real bad ass hay fever, and the tour guides were making all kinds of anti-Bears jokes ("Why doesn't Iowa have an NFL team? Because Illinois would want one too."). At the time, I was wearing my White Sox polo shirt and gave no real signals that I am a Bears fan. At times when the tour took me into the stadium, the press box, the sky boxes, and the stands, I quietly did the same "O-E-O...MAG-GLI-OOO" chant. The Bears went on to win their next two games at Lambeau, and I credit my curse as being an integral part of the Bears' victories, even though I think Sweetness sealed the 1999 win.
As you recall, he had passed away a few days beforehand.

So I did the same thing to Wrigley Field this past Sunday...and the Cubs have not won since.

So there you go. It was not that fan who cursed the Cubs. It wasn't even Alex S. Gonzalez making that error in Game 6. IT WAS ME. I can claim that it was ME that sent the Cubs packing.

QueerGirrl
10-16-2003, 01:10 AM
Thank you so much!!

Remind me to never piss you off. :smile:

sox_fan_forever
10-16-2003, 01:15 AM
I would also like to add my thanks. :smile:

TDog
10-16-2003, 01:16 AM
Good work.

And somewhere, I'm sure, Magglio is smiling.

oheeoh...magglio
10-16-2003, 01:16 AM
As I said on the Marlins boards, Viva, Brilliant, simply Brilliant!!!! :) and I hope you are never mad at me either lol.