PDA

View Full Version : Worst choke since...?

cheeses_h_rice
10-16-2003, 12:49 AM
Obviously, in the Flubs tradition, this was worse than 1984, so for the Flubs, this was the worst loss since the '30s or '40s.

But how does the Flubs 3-game surfeit-to-losing stack up against others in MLB history?

George?

PaleHoseGeorge
10-16-2003, 12:58 AM
I think this one is the worst ever.

The '98 wild card team was a joke.

In '89 they were never really in it vs. the Giants in the NLCS.

They blew 3 in a row to the Padres in '84, but that was only a best-of-5 series. Even Durham's Gatorade glove can't compare to Bartman calling off Alou. :smile:

The '69 team only won 92 games and finished 8 games back. They are WAY overrated as only moronic Flubs fans can manage.

The '45 team was a bunch of 4-F's.

I don't know much about pre-WWII Flubbie teams, but none of them ever won ****, and the '32 Flubbies were swept 4 straight by Ruth, Gehrig and the rest of the Bombers.

Ah, what a glorious team history they have!

A.T. Money
10-16-2003, 12:59 AM
Anyone like my new sig?

WhiteSox = Life
10-16-2003, 01:00 AM
http://www.synergizedsolutions.com/simpsons/pictures/others/comicbookguy1.gif
"Worst... Choke... EVER!!!"

cheeses_h_rice
10-16-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

They blew 3 in a row to the Padres in '84, but that was only a best-of-5 series. Even Durham's Gatorade glove can't compare to Bartman calling off Alou. :smile:

The '69 team only won 92 games and finished 8 games back. They are WAY overrated as only moronic Flubs fans can manage.

I don't know much about pre-WWII Flubbie teams, but none of them ever won ****, and the '32 Flubbies were swept 4 straight by Ruth, Gehrig and the rest of the Bombers.

OK, so we've established that 2003 represents the nadir of "Cubdom" (copyright 2003 Jay Mariotti Enterprises), but seriously, what about all the other teams in the playoffs since the divisional races were introduced in the '60s? How does this choke stack up?

VeeckAsInWreck
10-16-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by A.T. Money
Anyone like my new sig?

http://www.synergizedsolutions.com/simpsons/pictures/others/comicbookguy1.gif
"Best sig ever!"

Sox fans didn't win anything tonight, or did they???? :D:

Damn does this feel good!!!!!!

Reichardt
10-16-2003, 01:05 AM

A glorious and confusing history. The idiots were celebrating last week for "the first time in 95 years". Guess what, they just lost the NLCS for the 3rd time in the last 20 years....that's all.

Lip Man 1
10-16-2003, 01:05 AM
The Angels blowing an 11 game lead to the Mariners after August 1, 1995 is pretty good...

And the mother of all choke jobs was pulled off by the 51 Dodgers to their hated rivals, the Giants.

In 1964 the Phillies lost ten of their last 12 to blow I think, a 4 game lead and the pennant to the Cardinals.

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
10-16-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck

Sox fans didn't win anything tonight, or did they???? :D:

I won. I won plenty. I won a toasty warm winter not having to tolerate trash talkin' Flubbie fans. Any Flubs fan who tries talkin' trash to me this winter is in for a world of hurt.

Until yesterday I had nuthin'. But I've got plenty now.

:gulp:

cheeses_h_rice
10-16-2003, 01:12 AM
The Big Blue Cubbie Phallus was being shoved down Sox fans' throats prior to tonight, and ESPECIALLY prior to Tuesday night's game.

Hey, I'll give 'em credit: Cubs actually managed to eek out a series win in the postseason, the first that any Chicago team has been able to do since 1917. But as the "din" of "Cubdom" began to roar, and the very very "new-gear"-wearing Flub fans came crawling out of the cupboard, it became apparent that the Sox were about to be diminished to the cupboard of olde history if the Flubs managed to actually make it to the Big Dance in 2003. THAT is the main reason why I am glad that abject failure has visited the North Side since their fortunate series with Atlanta.

**** the Cubs. I just want a Sox WS title before those ****heads.

A.T. Money
10-16-2003, 01:14 AM
Remember, there be no second place. Second place means you're a first place loser LOL.

VeeckAsInWreck
10-16-2003, 01:14 AM
I won. I won plenty. I won a toasty warm winter not having to tolerate trash talkin' Flubbie fans. Any Flubs fan who tries talkin' trash to me this winter is in for a world of hurt.

Until yesterday I had nuthin'. But I've got plenty now.

:gulp:

PHG, I hear ya. I also feel like I won. I feel so damn happy, I can't stop smiling. :D:

Like Martial Arts, I will use this choke job, only for self-defense!

PaleHoseGeorge
10-16-2003, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The Angels blowing an 11 game lead to the Mariners after August 1, 1995 is pretty good...

And the mother of all choke jobs was pulled off by the 51 Dodgers to their hated rivals, the Giants.

In 1964 the Phillies lost ten of their last 12 to blow I think, a 4 game lead and the pennant to the Cardinals.

Lip

The Astros have pulled some choke jobs in the playoffs. Their '81 team pulled a Flubbie by winning the first 2 games of the best-of-5 division playoff, but lost 3 straight to LA. That's no worse than what the '84 Flubbies achieved. The '86 Angels lost 3 in a row to the Red Sox in the ALCS, and pitcher Donnie Moore committed suicide years later from the resulting depression.

I dunno... as far as post-1968 baseball history, this has to rank at least in the top-3. I say it is the absolute worst, because their own fans played a key role in the unraveling of the season. :smile:

Brian26
10-16-2003, 01:17 AM
Just remember, the Cubs didn't win jack **** this year. Bottom line. They won 2 more games than the Sox, but we won the season series. Bottom line is that 6 teams from the AL could have destroyed the Cubs in the World Series. They didn't even make it that far.

Brian26
10-16-2003, 01:20 AM
I think the '85 St. Louis Cardinals led the Royals 3 games to 1 before the Dale Iorg call at first base and the come back led by Saberhagen.

Jerko
10-16-2003, 01:32 AM
I hate to say it, but somehow when I think of what the worst "choke" could be, I just get an image of Prior, Farnsworth, and an errant necklace in my mind. I think I need sleep.

SoxxoS
10-16-2003, 01:32 AM
I think the biggest choke job (as I said in the other thread) is VanDeVelde at the British Open...

This one is damn close, though.

Iwritecode
10-16-2003, 02:01 AM
Is this choke worse than the 116-win Cubs losing the WS to a team nick-named the "hitless wonders"?

Moses_Scurry
10-16-2003, 10:09 AM
This has to be the worst choke I've ever been around to witness for baseball, anyway.

I'd have to say that the Randy Moss, Chris Carter Vikings losing to the Dirty Birds a few years ago would rank right up there for all sports.

UNLV losing to Duke in the final 4 was a pretty big one too!

Procol Harum
10-16-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

The Phillie implosion was probably the most spectacular. On Sept. 20, 1964 after beating the Dodgers they were up by 6-1/2 games with 12 to play. The Phillies lost 10 in a row, managed to win the last two games, but in the end lost the pennant by one game to the Cards.

washington
10-16-2003, 11:23 AM
What makes it such a collossal choke job is how they totally fell apart at the seams after the Bartman incident, like the players were looking for an excuse to lose the series. It was almost a sigh of relief, now they could lose the series and blame someone other than themselves for it.

vegyrex
10-16-2003, 11:48 AM
I say it is the absolute worst, because their own fans played a key role in the unraveling of the season. :smile:

Yes, because one of their own fans played a role in their demise it made this choke all the more tasty. :smile:

Dadawg_77
10-16-2003, 11:54 AM
since <insert great Rock star name here> on his/her own vomit.

firejauron
10-16-2003, 12:43 PM
While the Cubs choke-job might be the worst I've ever seen, any discussion about choking must include some of the meltdowns the city of Cleveland has been involved in. How many times did the Cavs have a lead against the Bulls only to have MJ come back and rip their hearts out at the last second? How about Ernest Byners fumble as the Browns were trying to seal the deal? How many times did John Elway lead his team to last second come from behind victories over the Browns? And what other team could lose a game because their linebacker got a penalty for taking his helmet off in a premature celebration? I'm sure the Tribe had some good ones I cannot recall right off hand. I would say Cleveland as a city takes the cake for biggest chokers overall.

voodoochile
10-16-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by firejauron
While the Cubs choke-job might be the worst I've ever seen, any discussion about choking must include some of the meltdowns the city of Cleveland has been involved in. How many times did the Cavs have a lead against the Bulls only to have MJ come back and rip their hearts out at the last second? How about Ernest Byners fumble as the Browns were trying to seal the deal? How many times did John Elway lead his team to last second come from behind victories over the Browns? And what other team could lose a game because their linebacker got a penalty for taking his helmet off in a premature celebration? I'm sure the Tribe had some good ones I cannot recall right off hand. I would say Cleveland as a city takes the cake for biggest chokers overall.

Ahhhh... Cleveland sports... you think Chicago sports is bad? No professional team has won a championship in ANY sport in Cleveland since 1964. Well, the indoor soccer team won one a few years ago, but that only serves to rub salt in the wounds for most fans. Add in the Tribe's two blown Series (the only team to lose to Atlanta in the big dance and the first team to lose to a WC team) and the fact that the Browns abandoned ship only to win a championship a few years later in Baltimore and it is always easy to shoot down Cleveland trolls...

Chicago may have a dubious sports legacy, but at least we ain't Cleveland...

KingXerxes
10-16-2003, 02:48 PM
As far as a single post-season game choke goes, check out Game 4 of the 1929 World Series between the Philadelphia Athletics and - you guessed it - The Chicago Cubs. The Cubs has a 7-0 lead in the 7th or 8th inning and Philadelphia went on to score 10 in a single inning, and ultimately won the series in 5.

The 1964 Philadelphia Phillies were the ultimate chokers over a regular season bowing something like a 4 1/2 lead with 6 to go.

My most dissappointing choke ever was the Chicago Blackhawks losing Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals in 1970/1971 to Montreal after taking a 2 - 0 lead. Broke my heart.

To say the Cubs choked in this series has a certain measure of the undeniable (see Game 6 - 8th inning), but to say the reason they lost to Florida is due to choking is to make the case that the Cubs were a better team than Florida - and I don't think that was the case. Prior and Wood are hugely effective against teams prone to striking out - and the Florida Marlins are not that. The two guys in the top of their line-up required 10 - 15 pitches each to be retired, and their line-up simply wore down the Cubs arms. The Cubs are way too "right handed" from the plate, and actually have a pretty thin bench. To be honest with you - if not for Atlanta's propensity to strike out so much, I couldn't believe the Cubs even got by them.

Dadawg_77
10-16-2003, 03:27 PM
If any Cub fan tries to talk trash, just hold one hand and count to five. See if they get it.

KingXerxes
10-16-2003, 03:29 PM
I'm not sure I get it. What does it mean?