PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie Guillen is going to the series!


basilesox
10-15-2003, 11:02 PM
That alone was enough for me to root for the marlins this post season. I would like to see Ozzie coach or maybe even manage someday for the Sox. If he coaches like he played, that means he goes all out and tries extremely hard. That is something we need more of on the southside these days....

SoxRulecubsdrool
10-15-2003, 11:08 PM
I'll toast to that! :gulp:

But then again, I am toasting everything right now!
:gulp:

rmusacch
10-15-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by basilesox
That alone was enough for me to root for the marlins this post season. I would like to see Ozzie coach or maybe even manage someday for the Sox. If he coaches like he played, that means he goes all out and tries extremely hard. That is something we need more of on the southside these days....

Hmmm, I just thought about this. Ozzie is the third base coach for the Marlins. Jerry Manuel was the bench coach for the Marlins in 1997 when they won the world series.

fuzzy_patters
10-15-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
Hmmm, I just thought about this. Ozzie is the third base coach for the Marlins. Jerry Manuel was the bench coach for the Marlins in 1997 when they won the world series.

In 1984 the Padres beat the Cubs in the NLCS. After that Series Padres' GM Jack McKeon traded Ozzie Guillen to the White Sox for Lamarre Hoyte. Nineteen years later, McKeon is again in the World Series, this time as manager, and Ozzie might be headed to the White Sox. Kind of strange.

nodiggity59
10-15-2003, 11:21 PM
hey when gonzalez got thrown out at third after driving in two he was pissed at the ump - and ozzie was right there with a clear head and calmed him down, made him back off.

hes not a goof off, he wasnt as a player and isnt now. i dare anyone to find somebody whos more focused

fuzzy_patters
10-15-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by nodiggity59
hey when gonzalez got thrown out at third after driving in two he was pissed at the ump - and ozzie was right there with a clear head and calmed him down, made him back off.

hes not a goof off, he wasnt as a player and isnt now. i dare anyone to find somebody whos more focused

I agree. Most of the comments from the Sox players during the season he injured his knee suggested that losing Ozzie, their leader, was the reason that team did not live up to expectations. It should also be noted that Frank Thomas and White Sox GM Kenny Williams both have said that Ozzie was a hero to them when they first got in the Sox clubhouse as players.

dugwood31
10-15-2003, 11:46 PM
Ozzie would lighten the mood on the morgue that is the third base dugout at Comiskey.

Nellie Comiskey
10-15-2003, 11:53 PM
It's really great that Ozzie is going to the Series. I did remember during the game that JM was the bench coach for Leland during that '97 Series. Ozzie was among my favorite players in the mid 80's and mid 90's, however the Sox need someone with managerial experience. Ozzie should be the 3rd base coach on the southside next year....the way McKeon talked after the game it doesn't appear he'll return in 2004. The last 3rd base coach the Sox hired as mgr was a complete failure(Bevington) and managed an independent league team this past season. I hope Francona and Backman are the choices....both are relatively young, managerial experience and play aggressive ball. If JR owns the team forever Ozzie should/will get his opportunity after the next manager.