PDA

View Full Version : Let Sox fans be better than Cub fans

pudge
10-15-2003, 10:43 PM
A little fun rubbing it in is okay, but don't go taunt your Cub friends and give Sox fans a bad name. Those poor Cubbie fans are going to be in pain tomorrow. Taunt the media if you want, call up your favorite station and tell them they can shove it, but don't abuse diehard Cub fans, because we wouldn't want to be abused if it happened to us.

Final note: If a Cub fan has been abusing you for the Sox choke at the end of the season, then by all means lay it on thick tomorrow.

:)

Kilroy
10-15-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by pudge
A little fun rubbing it in is okay, but don't go taunt your Cub friends and give Sox fans a bad name. Those poor Cubbie fans are going to be in pain tomorrow. Taunt the media if you want, call up your favorite station and tell them they can shove it, but don't abuse diehard Cub fans, because we wouldn't want to be abused if it happened to us.

Final note: If a Cub fan has been abusing you for the Sox choke at the end of the season, then by all means lay it on thick tomorrow.

That's exactly right. I have some good friends that I won't be taunting in any way. But there's some others that have it coming, and will be hearing about it...

Dick Allen
10-16-2003, 12:11 AM
Well said, Pudge. The true diehard Cub fans are in enough pain, the rest of them are too drunk to know anything's going on. On the other hand, I'll be sending some e-mails to a few of our illustrious local media members.

Dan1972
10-16-2003, 12:13 AM
For the most part I wont be rubbing it in. I will save it for the select few at my job who went out of their way to make the last two weeks hell for me.

cheeses_h_rice
10-16-2003, 12:16 AM
I have 2 very good friends that are HUGE Flub fans and are no doubt in a tremendous amount of psychic pain right about now.

I will be a decent chap and will not bring up the NLCS unless asked...and I don't anticipate that being before about, oh, March 2004.

(And, wrt one of my friends, who called me less than 60 minutes after the Sox blew game 3 to the Mariners in 2000, he is tres fortunate that I have a heart.)

Viva Magglio
10-16-2003, 12:23 AM
I agree. There are some Cubs fans I feel very sorry for. The first is Sr. Isabel, a nun at Loyola I work with on Sunday. She is a big fan, and she must be feeling tremendous heartbreak. Do pray for her.

I also feel sorry for Mike Murphy. I know we have had a lot of fun at Murph's expense, but I have always enjoyed his show (especially those short ones back in the Score's 820 days). While he has taken shots at our Sox (the kind of shots we have taken at our Sox ourselves, I should point out), Murph has never waged a smear campaign against us like Jay Mariotti. I do not consider him a real Sox hater.

I feel sorry for Les Grobstein. My partisan anti-Cubs persona is very much a part of me, but I want to publically apologize to Grobber33 if he was offended by any anti-Cubs statement I made in the past or will make in the future. Despite Les' and my agreement to disagree on these issues, I am a BIG fan of the Grobber and wish he had a full time show. There is no way I would ever cheer for the Cubs, of course, but I know Les would pull hard for us when we're in the playoffs.

Finally, I want to wish Ron Santo the best. No doubt, Ronnie is heartbroken tonight while facing the battle of his life. Despite what we think of Santo and the team he broadcasts for, each and every one of us prays that Ronnie will win this battle. It is very serious, and do keep Ron Santo in your prayers.

There are other Cubs fans I know whom I consider to be close friends. I wish to express the same sentiments to them.

Look, we all have a ton of fun at Cubs fans' expense, but I urge all of us to celebrate their team's demise by taking the high road. There are many very good men, women, and children who happen to cheer for the Chicago National League Ballclub, Inc. While we are thrilled that their team went down to defeat, let us show how classy we really are and not rub salt in their wounds.

valposoxfan
10-16-2003, 12:29 AM
I could not agree more. Thank you Pudge.

soxnut
10-16-2003, 12:35 AM
I have to agree as well, Pudge. I feel bad for my Cub fan friends too. I'd hate it if people rubbed it in to me if the Sox had collapsed the same way.

firejauron
10-16-2003, 12:42 AM
Good posts guys. Viva, you hit the nail on the head, I feel bad for everyone you mentioned. I wanted to pull for the Chicago team, but a few knucklehead Cub fans made it difficult. Oh well, here's to hoping the Sox can get it done next year.

TDog
10-16-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
... I want to publically apologize to Grobber33 if he was offended by any anti-Cubs statement I made in the past or will make in the future...

I'd like to apologize for my future thoughts and deeds while we're at it.

Seriously, being a Cubs fan tonight is difficult enough. I work with a Cubs fan who told me in August that the Sox should just move from Chicago because they're not wanted. The first day of the Atlanta series he greeted me with "bad day for Sox fans," thinking that the firing of our manager was bad news. Maybe I do owe him one. I thought about printing out one of the Bartman pictures and tape it to the screen of his computer terminal or over the Wood/Prior photos he has all over his cubicle. I decided that him watching his season end so abruptly will suffice.

I'm happy to see the declared-dead-Saturday Marlins waiting to see who the American League will pit against them in the World Series, but I am above rubbing it in.

alohafri
10-16-2003, 06:11 AM
I've had to put up with my scrub fan boss for a month. He just loved gloating. He loved telling me all about the electricity at the scrub playoff games....he was so happy about going to the game last night but strangely I feel a little sorry for him now.

I planned to serve him up a big plate of crow today, but this choke is punishment enough.

I still plan on buying a Marlins shirt and wearing it proudly.

(Mrs. Aloha)

Realist
10-16-2003, 07:46 AM
Nobody takes more delight in a Cubs loss than me, but sheesh... this is still America and there is such a thing as cruel and unusual punishment. Nobody should have to see their team do what the Cubs just did.

I actually felt kinda bad for those sorry bastards after Tuesday and Wednesday's Chokefest 2003.

I agree that we should keep our big traps shut unless we come across that ever too present loud mouthed Cubs fan idiot, and if you do, tell him we're building a bronze statue of Steve Bartman just outside Parking Lot C and tell 'em that you'll make sure he gets an invite to the ribbon cutting ceremony.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-16-2003, 07:56 AM
Go easy on Flubs fans today. They're really hurting and your taunts would only be piling on.

Just remember, they'll be feeling better soon enough and then they'll be back talking trash and trying to get on your nerves. Thanks to this NLCS choke, you'll have more than enough ammo to defend yourself. Someday you'll need it, but not today. So save it.

Any Flubs fan who hates the term "lovable losers" is worthy of your respect and sympathy today, perhaps even always. As for the rest of them, they'll be acting like idiots soon enough, and the battle with Sox Fans will be engaged once more. Walk softly and carry a big stick.

Eddie Gaedel
10-16-2003, 08:12 AM
screw that! even 'die hard' cub fans i know were shoving their success in my face. it's time to shove the cubs failure in theirs. i know last nights loss must sting, but that's what you get for being a cubs fan.

vegyrex
10-16-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Realist

I agree that we should keep our big traps shut unless we come across that ever too present loud mouthed Cubs fan idiot, and if you do, tell him we're building a bronze statue of Steve Bartman just outside Parking Lot C and tell 'em that you'll make sure he gets an invite to the ribbon cutting ceremony.

LOL!!

Fisk Fan
10-16-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Eddie Gaedel
screw that! even 'die hard' cub fans i know were shoving their success in my face. it's time to shove the cubs failure in theirs. i know last nights loss must sting, but that's what you get for being a cubs fan.

I completely agree with your assessment, Eddie. I have listened to the crap for the past month and have grown tired of it. Now I have the pleasure of letting Flubs fans know they choked, and I couldn't be happier!

ChiSoxBobette
10-16-2003, 09:13 AM

Yeah I agree, but you know what it seems like these cub fans can dish it out but now that its all over they just can't take any trash talk.
Is'nt Today A Great Day!

Procol Harum
10-16-2003, 09:29 AM
I'm pleased to see that the vast majority here at WSI are taking the high road in terms of dealing with Cub fan friends, neighbors and associates. I also have a number of good friends who are real Cub fans (not the bandwagon, Cubbie Bear boozin' idiots)and, knowing how I would feel if the shoe were on the other foot, can sympathize with their plight. Take it easy, folks and show a little White Sox grace--do unto others as ye would have them do unto you.

doublem23
10-16-2003, 09:50 AM
Every game the Cubs won, I would get a phone call from "certain people" who would just be screaming, "Woo! Cubs rule! Sox suck! Sox suck!"

Oh, they'll be hearing it this morning.

kittle42
10-16-2003, 10:11 AM
I walked the streets of Clark/Addison/Sheffield last night and wished Cub fans the best, telling them that I am sure Kerry Wood will enjoy golfing with Paul Konerko or some such person this weekend.

kittle42
10-16-2003, 10:20 AM
In addition, my friend and I went "rioting" in the streets by Wrigley. I purchased a Cubs NL Champion shirt for 5 bucks, donned my Marlins cap, and ran about with a smile on my face. Two Cub fans tried to get physical, but I of course did not bite on that. We went to Bernie's where I got doused with beer. We went to Murphy's where I was refused service, sprayed continously with seltzer until I just pretended I was taking a champagne bath, and got a 20 dollar bill returned to me with "Go away Marlins ******s" written across it. Not very classy, but I suppose I wasn't being too classy either.

In any event, 4th greatest baseball night I've ever had, ranking behind the day the Sox clinched in 1993, the 2000 clinch, and the day Caruso hit that homer into the basket.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-16-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Every game the Cubs won, I would get a phone call from "certain people" who would just be screaming, "Woo! Cubs rule! Sox suck! Sox suck!"

Oh, they'll be hearing it this morning.

Obviously any Flubs fan like those you describe ought to be paid back with interest. They're stupid and they need to be made wise about what awaits them for crowing over a few measly wins by a team widely known as the Lovable Losers.

Either I live a sheltered life because no Flubs fan jumped on me this way, or I've simply intimidated all the Flubs fans around me into being wise enough to know they're in for a world of hurt if they pull my chain. :smile:

Teach, doublem, teach! OTOH, a pointed object in hand while making a stabbing motion delivered through their neck is pretty effective, too.

Dan H
10-16-2003, 11:05 AM
I'm relieved the Cubs didn't make it, but don't feel like laying it on Cub fans. Besides while they lost three straight to Florida, the Sox lost five straight to Minnesota just last month. And we have to wait and see if the Sox ownership is really serious about making the team a real contender.

voodoochile
10-16-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by kittle42
I walked the streets of Clark/Addison/Sheffield last night and wished Cub fans the best, telling them that I am sure Kerry Wood will enjoy golfing with Paul Konerko or some such person this weekend.

I find a simple look does the job just as well. No need to actually say anything, just give them a sad little resigned look with a hint of a smile and leave it alone. They will start babbling helplessly trying to explain what happened and how they feel and why the world hates them. No need to interrupt even respond. When they wind down, just shrug and keep smiling. They will start babbling some more about the injustice of it all and the pain they feel. You can just sit there and listen to their river of torment and smirk...

TDog
10-16-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by kittle42
In any event, 4th greatest baseball night I've ever had, ranking behind the day the Sox clinched in 1993, the 2000 clinch, and the day Caruso hit that homer into the basket.

That Sox division-clinching loss to the Twins in 2000 was quite a baseball thrill.

fuzzy_patters
10-16-2003, 12:06 PM
I agree that we should have sympathy for the true Cubs fans. However, the bandwagon jumpers should have their noses run in it. They will respond with, "I don't really like baseball," but we should remind them of their actions. I can't stand those jackasses.

kittle42
10-16-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by TDog
That Sox division-clinching loss to the Twins in 2000 was quite a baseball thrill.

I was in Minny that day and was one of the people who stuck around to celebrate with PK and the boys. It was fun for me!

MRKARNO
10-16-2003, 04:10 PM
I pretty much just told them to wait till next year

JC456
10-16-2003, 04:14 PM

I actually wanted them to win. I have very close friends that would have had some fun with the Cubs in the series. Also, I believed it would have forced JR's hands to make an improvement with the team. But alas, it was all for not. :(:

SoxRulecubsdrool
10-16-2003, 04:20 PM
I have always had control for some cub fans that never laid it on thick to me after the Sox took a spill. I never forget that. When I saw them today, I thought they were taking it well and as usual I didn't smear it in their face, instead just trying to lighten the mood.

Now for the asses that were telling me to burn my Sox cap and that the Flubs were beating the Yankees in 4, maybe 5 in the WS, and that Wood and Prior were unbeatable, today was a very fun day for me.

They can eat it!

SoxRulecubsdrool
10-16-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I pretty much just told them to wait till next year

I forgot, earlier this week two Flubbie fans told me to Wait til next year White Sox fan, they will also eat it.

ISUSoxfan
10-17-2003, 08:27 AM
I originally wrote this post for a different message board where everyone was wondering how anyone could cheer against the Cubbies and want to see their fans' hearts break. I think my reply is worth repeating here:

Here are the current reasons I still hate Cub fans:

1. The biggest problem I have with Cub fans is that they assume everyone else is a Cub fan and can't accept that we're not.
2. This recent Cub mania reminded me of the insanity of Cub fans in 1984.
3. This year they decorated monuments on campus and had a flashmob of 1000 students in the streets after they beat Atlanta.
4. The ISU president announced a Cubs party on the quad immediately after they clinched a World Series berth, yet we've never had a quad party for an ISU victory.
5. I got laughed at in the local Hat World for asking if they had any Marlins hats last week.
6. I took a lot of teasing at work.
7. I got confronted in a local bar by a very angry stranger just for getting a little too loud when the Marlins were making their comeback in game 1.
8. I had to stay home to watch the rest of the series for my own safety.
9. The "We Got Wood" shirts.
10. They think it's bad for baseball to have an exciting young team with an ancient manager in the World Series.

My remidies for dealing with Cub fans 1-10:

1. Go Fish!
2. Same result.
3. I posted my own decorations on the quad Wednesday night.
4. I also posted directions to the party, "1300 miles south"
5. I went back yesterday and asked the same clerk if they had any Marlins World Series hats.
6. I had some good civilized fun at work, leaving the true die hards alone...for now.
7. I kept cheering for the fish...he left, but I realized after I sobered up there could have been real trouble.
8. I cheered as loud as ever, after making sure my doors were locked.
9. You call that wood? (5.2 IP, 7 ER)
10. Go Fish!

When you get Cub fans in a non-baseball environment, some of them are great people. My best friend is a cub fan. He called me from Wrigley Field as they were clinching the division, and just last weekend he told me about his World Series tickets, asking me when the Sox were going...My reply was "sooner than the Cubs." Now my words are ringing true, and I have no need to add any more because he is a good friend, but to all you arrogant Cub fans who have no tollerance for people who cheer against the Cubs, who put the Sox down in September, who think the Cubs are America's team, who think the Cubs losing hurt baseball, who thought you had it wrapped up with Prior and Wood at home, Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey Hey, Goodbye.

LongLiveFisk
10-17-2003, 10:01 AM
I think it's tough to not rub it in someone's face if they've been in your face putting down the Sox. But I didn't have that experience, so I have no problem being the bigger person here. The Cubs fans I do know are actually pretty cool and don't fall in that category of the typical, bandwagon yuppie we all hate so much.

And I agree with the guy who started this thread: we already have enough of an image problem as it is.

kittle42
10-17-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by LongLiveFisk

And I agree with the guy who started this thread: we already have enough of an image problem as it is.

But without that image, we have no image at all!