PDA

View Full Version : New York City's reaction to Bartman Saga

BackInBlack
10-15-2003, 03:07 PM
Just to let you know, "The Steve Bartman Saga" has dominated office conversation all Day LONG here in New York City. The radio shows out here are absolutely BLASTING the Sun-Times for printing a story that identified the ND grad/goat as the culprit that may have kept the Cubs without a ring for yet another year in almost a CENTURY of futility and misery.

One of my colleagues went to the length of writing Jay Mariotti a 2-page e-mail ripping him for not only blaming the loss on Bartman, but for publicly HUMILIATING the kid as well! I so very badly want to watch Around the Horn to hear what Mariotti has to say about this incident, but I'm already committed to a frickin event networking down in Lower Manhattan.

It just BLOWS MY MIND that a city 1,000 miles away from Chicago, and with supposedly better things worry about (i.e. Yanks/BoSox, which NOBODY is talking about), has adopted this as the feature story in "the day's news." I've never experienced anything like it, and based on the extreme reaction to "The Steve Bartman Saga" in New York, I can only IMAGINE what's shaking down back in Chi-town.

So you gotta tell me, just how ugly is it out there in the Windy City???

Foulke You
10-15-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by BackInBlack
Just to let you know, "The Steve Bartman Saga" has dominated office conversation all Day LONG here in New York City. The radio shows out here are absolutely BLASTING the Sun-Times for printing a story that identified the ND grad/goat as the culprit that may have kept the Cubs without a ring for yet another year in almost a CENTURY of futility and misery.

One of my colleagues went to the length of writing Jay Mariotti a 2-page e-mail ripping him for not only blaming the loss on Bartman, but for publicly HUMILIATING the kid as well! I so very badly want to watch Around the Horn to hear what Mariotti has to say about this incident, but I'm already committed to a frickin networking down in Lower Manhattan.

But based on the extreme reaction to "The Steve Bartman Saga" in New York, I can only IMAGINE what's shaking down back in Chi-town.

Everyone is talking about it. Even non-baseball fans here at work are talking about it. It is all over the airwaves, newspapers, etc. The Sun-Times sports cover had a pic of the guy interfering with Alou with the headline "CURSES!". That guy is going to have to go away for a while if the Cubs lose tonight.

34 Inch Stick
10-15-2003, 03:18 PM
As ugly as the last girl standing in a 4 o'clock bar.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-15-2003, 03:19 PM

One of my colleagues went to the length of writing Jay Mariotti a 2-page e-mail ripping him for not only blaming the loss on Bartman, but for publicly HUMILIATING the kid as well! I so very badly want to watch Around the Horn to hear what Mariotti has to say about this incident, but I'm already committed to a frickin networking down in Lower Manhattan.

But based on the extreme reaction to "The Steve Bartman Saga" in New York, I can only IMAGINE what's shaking down back in Chi-town.

Hey, thanks for the NYC report. However I can't help but point out an obvious fact about your update. Here in Chicago, the guy's name isn't being bantered about. Even at WSI, nearly all of us have refrained from using his proper name in our posts. Yet you used it *3 times* in your NYC report where everybody is "blasting" the Sun-Times editorial decision.

I dunno... I find this sort of stuff fascinating. But that's just me...

:gulp:

MarqSox
10-15-2003, 03:19 PM
Looks like NYC has turned into Hooterville, eh PHG?

Jjav829
10-15-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Hey, thanks for the NYC report. However I can't help but point out an obvious fact about your update. Here in Chicago, the guy's name isn't being bantered about. Even at WSI, nearly all of us have refrained from using his proper name in our posts. Yet you used it *3 times* in your NYC report where everybody is "blasting" the Sun-Times editorial decision.

I dunno... I find this sort of stuff fascinating. But that's just me...

Actually it has been used. I've been listening to the radio all day and they have started to use his name recently. The only ones I've heard not use his name are Buffoon and Buffone who said they won't use the kids name because he had nothing to do with the Cubs losing.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-15-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Looks like NYC has turned into Hooterville, eh PHG?

Huh? To the contrary, they're proving themselves as true New Yorkers. They're invoking Bartman's name more in NYC than we are back here in Chicago-- even as they fill themselves with false disgust over the Sun-Times.

Tell me, BtoB, how often is the term "Second City" being used, too?

:smile:

BackInBlack
10-15-2003, 03:24 PM
Something just occured to me:

New York has Batman.

Chicago has Bartman.

Talk about Second City Syndrome. ;-)

PaleHoseGeorge
10-15-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Actually it has been used. I've been listening to the radio all day and they have started to use his name recently. The only ones I've heard not use his name and Buffoon and Buffone who said they won't use the kids name because he had nothing to do with the Cubs losing.

Wow. What a great social science project this would be! We need some scientists to simultaneously measure how often this guy's name is being invoked on the airwaves in NYC vs. here in Chicago vs. SmallTownAmerica (say, South-Central Wisconsin, for example).

The results of their research would be fascinating!

:bandance:

MarqSox
10-15-2003, 03:30 PM
Wow. What a great social science project this would be! We need some scientists to simultaneously measure how often this guy's name is being invoked on the airwaves in NYC vs. here in Chicago vs. SmallTownAmerica (say, South-Central Wisconsin, for example).

The results of their research would be fascinating!

:bandance:
Well, seeing as the only sports radio station I can get out here is a fuzzy Milwaukee station that is 90% nationally syndicated, I'm not sure how much I can add. :cool:

greenpeach
10-15-2003, 03:34 PM
Here in Atlanta it's the same as New York. Both sports talk radio stations (790 the Zone, WCNN) have identified the guy in their hourly news updates. I'm not kidding. This is getting really sick.

Also, I was listening to the ESPN radio broadcast last night in the car & Dave Campbell went ballistic when the play occured. I thought I was listening to the WGN broadcast for a moment. So much for impartiality. :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
10-15-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Well, seeing as the only sports radio station I can get out here is a fuzzy Milwaukee station that is 90% nationally syndicated, I'm not sure how much I can add. :cool:

They would do it on a per capita basis, of course. We're talking about important scientific research here, conducted by highly-educated scientists wearing labcoats and everything.

Viva Magglio
10-15-2003, 03:44 PM
To this point, the Score continues to refuse to say the guy's name.

BackInBlack
10-15-2003, 04:19 PM
In between songs, K-ROCK Radio NYC just reported that the fan wearing 1985-style headphones in Wrigley has been identified as... "Steve Bartman!"

And no, I'M NOT EVEN JOKING!

AsInWreck
10-15-2003, 04:19 PM
[B].... they're proving themselves as true New Yorkers. They're invoking Bartman's name more in NYC than we are back here in Chicago-- even as they fill themselves with false disgust over the Sun-Times....

Am I the only one who picked up the ... oh never mind

Jerko
10-15-2003, 04:41 PM
Last night I thought this was funny, and a part of me still does, but this is getting way out of hand. Somebody is going to hurt this man if the Cubs lose tonight. I don't want them to win, that is the last thing I want, but it may be the only way that this guy does not get put in a hospital.

Mammoo
10-15-2003, 05:13 PM
Here in Chicago, the guy's name isn't being bantered about....

Oh contrare...he's being vilified on The Score and WMVP!!!

All for the want of as stinking' frickin' baseball. Here's a guy that supposedly has played baseball at a high level and he's acting like a third grader reaching for a ball!

Move over Billy Goat, Bartman is taking over!!! :gulp: