PDA

View Full Version : jim caple must die

fquaye149
10-15-2003, 10:59 AM
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/caple/031015.html

wrote an article that shows the "super fans"(DA BEARZ) rooting for the scrubs

they would have been sox fans without a doubt.....but they certainly showed no allegiance to the CUBS :angry:

and they would never have said sammy would beat bonds in an hr derby.

when they made predictions it was always realistic: no one was better than ditka or michael jordan in real life.

there's not a snowball's chance in hell that sammy could hit half of bond's home runs in a derby and the super fans would know that

damn you jim caple

ChiSox14305635
10-15-2003, 11:06 AM
I'll give Caple a pass for this one. When he did the stadium tour or the Cell for ESPN.com Page 2, he said the Sox fans always get the shaft, so this one doesn't bug me too much.

And remember, 2 of those people who used to do the Super Fans on SNL (Mantegna & Wendt) are hardcore Cubs fans.

GoSox2K3
10-15-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
...And remember, 2 of those people who used to do the Super Fans on SNL (Mantegna & Wendt) are hardcore Cubs fans.

Huh? I heard that George Wendt was a big SOX fan!

ChiSox14305635
10-15-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
Huh? I heard that George Wendt was a big SOX fan!

Maybe he's a fan of both.

soxruleEP
10-15-2003, 01:09 PM
George Wendt is from Beverly--I would be amazed if he were a real Cub fan and not just a media Cub fan for PR purposes.

FJA
10-15-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
Maybe he's a fan of both.

Nope. He's a die-hard Sox fan. Maybe someone can back me up with quotes ... I know as a fact he grew up a Sox fan, and he did the Old Comiskey "Farewell" video.

As for Caple, I'll also give him a pass, because the point of the Superfans skit was to parody Chicago sports fans, and I am POSITIVE that if that skit was still running (Wendt and Rob Smigel said they would never do another one after Chris Farley died) it would build off of the Cubs success for a laugh. Knowing Wendt is a Sox fan might make for some jarring back and forth, but they'd still be doing the "Cubs 568, Marlins -4" joke. It's what the skit was built around.

I agree, though ... if they were going to stay true to character, those guys probably would have been Sox fans.

jortafan
10-15-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by FJA
I agree, though ... if they were going to stay true to character, those guys probably would have been Sox fans.

Actually, I'd think if you wanted them to be true to character while also parodying reality, you'd have a split amongst them. Have them get into a brawl of Sox vs. Cubs, but just at the moment when they're all about to have heart attacks, they calm down by realizing they're all fans of "da Bears."

FJA
10-15-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
Actually, I'd think if you wanted them to be true to character while also parodying reality, you'd have a split amongst them. Have them get into a brawl of Sox vs. Cubs, but just at the moment when they're all about to have heart attacks, they calm down by realizing they're all fans of "da Bears."

Ha ... good point.

fquaye149
10-15-2003, 06:19 PM
i was mostly mad about the sammy vs. bonds thing. what a stupid thing.....who would think sammy would beat bonds at a homerun contest, even among retarded cubs fans?