PDA

View Full Version : Should there be a media blackout on "The Fan?"

MarqSox
10-15-2003, 11:41 AM
PHG seems to think the media is doing wrong by withholding his name. I think it would be wholly unethical to ID him. What do you think?

MarqSox
10-15-2003, 12:12 PM
bump

PaleHoseGeorge
10-15-2003, 12:20 PM
Please stop putting words in my mouth. I voted #3, but only because that seems to be what *you* have decided on the issue.

Media "ethics" dictate a cooling off period. However the term a "New York minute" has genuine relevance to this discussion.

How long is long enough?

Everyone knows and understands his name will come out eventually regardless of any self-imposed blackout. In NYC it wouldn't last long. In Hooterville it would last forever.

So is Chicago closer to NYC or Hooterville?

Are the standards in Wisconsin closer to Hooterville?
:?:

Legitimate questions, folks...

MarqSox
10-15-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Please stop putting words in my mouth. I voted #3, but only because that seems to be what *you* have decided on the issue.

Media "ethics" dictate a cooling off period. However the term a "New York minute" has genuine relevance to this discussion.

How long is long enough?

Everyone knows and understands his name will come out eventually regardless of any self-imposed blackout. In NYC it wouldn't last long. In Hooterville it would last forever.

So is Chicago closer to NYC or Hooterville?

Are the standards in Wisconsin closer to Hooterville?
:?:

Legitimate questions, folks...
The New York Times and Boston Globe (and I'm sure many, many other "non-Hooterville" newspapers) were at the game tonight. None to my knowledge has published his name. So there you go.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-15-2003, 12:42 PM
The Sun-Times published it this morning. It's their turf, not the Globe's or the old gray mare's. :smile:

Reality is a bitch...

fuzzy_patters
10-15-2003, 01:50 PM
The Sun-Times published it this morning. It's their turf, not the Globe's or the old gray mare's. :smile:

Reality is a bitch...

The Sun-Times is well regarded, along with the New York Post, as tabloidal in nature. No respected newspaper such as the Chicago Tribune, NY Times, Boston Globe, or Washington Post has reported his name.

Bobby Thigpen
10-15-2003, 01:54 PM
I voted that it should be revealed simply because I would like to buy him a beverage. :)

MarqSox
10-15-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
The Sun-Times is well regarded, along with the New York Post, as tabloidal in nature. No respected newspaper such as the Chicago Tribune, NY Times, Boston Globe, or Washington Post has reported his name.
Here's the Associated Press report about him. Notice, pains have been made to maintain his anonymity, even though it's already been shot.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-031015fan,1,5442644.story?coll=chi-homepage-fea

PaleHoseGeorge
10-15-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters

That's nice. The Tribune, NYT, Globe, and Post can be all high and mighty, resting on their journalistic integrity and pooh-poohing their competition's lack of ethics. Guess what? They have NOTHING to gain and EVERYTHING to lose by doing anything but sit back.

Don't you think the editors at these "respected" media outlets know full well the guy's name is going to come out anyway? They know it better than we do, LOL! If their position of pre-eminence was threatened in any way by not beating the competition, they would have published the guy's name in a New York minute (no pun intended).

The decision for them is easy: let the competition go first. They already have the advantage! The decision is easy in Hooterville, too. You know why? There is NO competition.

London has more competition than New York City. NYC has more competition than Chicago. Chicago has more than South-Central Wisconsin. And South-Central Wisconsin has more than the mythical Hooterville.

It's competition and competitive positioning that determines these editorial decisions. Get a clue people!

It's EASY to be the editor of the NYT at times like these... much, much easier than being the editor of the Chicago Sun-Times.

MarqSox
10-15-2003, 02:27 PM
That's nice. The Tribune, NYT, Globe, and Post can be all high and mighty, resting on their journalistic integrity and pooh-poohing their competition's lack of ethics. Guess what? They have NOTHING to gain and EVERYTHING to lose by doing anything but sit back.

Don't you think the editors at these "respected" media outlets know full well the guy's name is going to come out anyway? They know it better than we do, LOL! If their position of pre-eminence was threatened in any way by not beating the competition, they would have published the guy's name in a New York minute (no pun intended).

The decision for them is easy: let the competition go first. They already have the advantage! The decision is easy in Hooterville, too. You know why? There is NO competition.

London has more competition than New York City. NYC has more competition than Chicago. Chicago has more than South-Central Wisconsin. And South-Central Wisconsin has more than the mythical Hooterville.

It's competition and competitive positioning that determines these editorial decisions. Get a clue people!

It's EASY to be the editor of the NYT at times like these... much, much easier than being the editor of the Chicago Sun-Times.
You may be right ... after all, I've already been shocked once today by the media. But I don't expect any of the "respected" papers to do what the Sun-Times did.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-15-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
You may be right ... after all, I've already been shocked once today by the media. But I don't expect any of the "respected" papers to do what the Sun-Times did.

You're absolutely right. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they continue to refrain from publishing his name indefinitely. It's part of their *marketing strategy* to uphold higher journalistic standards than their competition. However, if any of these papers felt threatened for top-status by any competing newspaper for *not* publishing this guy's name, their editorial decision would doubtlessly look quite different.

That's why it's a marketing decision rather than a journalistic one. Anyone lauding the editors of the Tribune and NYT *not* to publish this guy's name ought to be honest enough to feel sympathy for the editors of the Sun-Times and NYPost. Theirs is a hard job... much, much harder than anything their "respected" counterparts are dealing with.