PDA

View Full Version : Bernie Mac ...... Still a Sox Fan

Hangar18
10-15-2003, 08:50 AM
I was shocked to see him wearing a cub jacket and hat (he looked terrible in that junk) but when he got to the Root Root
part, he WOULD NOT SAY CUB-BIES!!!! That was Excellent!!
he said champ champ and seemed to point towards the Marlins
dugout...anyone else notice that? How excellent is that

woodenleg
10-15-2003, 08:52 AM
Yes, he sang "root root root for the champions", when everyone else was singing Cubbies.

He didn't say which champions and what season.

firejauron
10-15-2003, 08:55 AM
You're correct, and Mike Murphy was all mad, blaming John McDonough ("Sox fan" McDonough as Murph always refers to him ) this morning for allowing Bernie to sing as part of promoting his new show.

jortafan
10-15-2003, 09:06 AM
WGN-TV's 9 p.m. newscast Tuesday night included tape of Bernie Mac entering the stadium prior to the game. He was wearing a Cubs jacket and cap, and claimed he was switching from the White Sox to Cub fandom because the Sox "blew" it. He said he was "through" with the Sox.

I agree the Sox blew it, but Bernie Mac is not acting like someone who is still devoted to the Sox. At the very least, he has some 'splainin' to do before we allow him back into Cellular Field in the future.

Hangar18
10-15-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by jortafan
WGN-TV's 9 p.m. newscast Tuesday night included tape of Bernie Mac entering the stadium prior to the game. He was wearing a Cubs jacket and cap, and claimed he was switching from the White Sox to Cub fandom because the Sox "blew" it. He said he was "through" with the Sox.

I agree the Sox blew it, but Bernie Mac is not acting like someone who is still devoted to the Sox. At the very least, he has some 'splainin' to do before we allow him back into Cellular Field in the future.

Really? I find this very very interesting. He does need to explain a few things then. I love that he didnt say "cubs" though just the same ....

doublem23

Exactly... The guy is a Cub fan.

QueerGirrl

Please say it isn't so! I love Bernie but I don't like the bandwagon jumping. Oh well, just look at it as better seats at Comiskey for us true fans.

soxnut
10-15-2003, 09:11 AM
Don't know if any of you caught the Fox 32 pregame show, but they had Lou Rawls--Sox Fan on. He sang the National Anthem. They were asking him questions about who he was rooting for and stuff. He seemed very unconfortable and unenthused. He did talk about Bronzeville and how the south side neighborhoods are rebounding. What are these Cub PR people thinking---hiring Sox fans to sing for them?? :?: :D: :smile:

ChiSox14305635
10-15-2003, 10:25 AM
I don't think Bernie Mac was ever a Sox fan. I read an interview on him awhile back, and he was talking about growing up on the South Side as a diehard Cubs fan, and said he was never a big fan of the White Sox and this was when the Sox were in 1st and the Cubs were still in 3rd. If I can find the interview, I'll post it on here.

HawkDJ
10-15-2003, 10:32 AM
I mentioned this in a different thread but Bernie Mac had a small article in ESPN Magazine early this summer and admitted he used to be a Sox fan but is now more of a Cubs fan.

Irishsox1
10-15-2003, 10:42 AM
Berrie Mac is a Sox fan. He is the only guy in the world not say Cubbies when singing the 7th inning stretch. I thought what he did was brilliant. But on the other hand he is a celeb and he has Cub fans and Sox fans, so cater to both but in the end he didn't say Cubbies!!!!!

HawkDJ
10-15-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
Berrie Mac is a Sox fan. He is the only guy in the world not say Cubbies when singing the 7th inning stretch. I thought what he did was brilliant. But on the other hand he is a celeb and he has Cub fans and Sox fans, so cater to both but in the end he didn't say Cubbies!!!!!

But how is saying "champs" better than "Cubbies"? The guy is not a Sox fan, fair weather fan more likely.

LuvSox
10-15-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by HawkDJ
But how is saying "champs" better than "Cubbies"? The guy is not a Sox fan, fair weather fan more likely.

Finally, someone with common sense. The guy wears all that Cubs bull **** and you guys think he's still a Sox fan? Give me a break. Why the big hang up on famous fans anyway? Leave that for the Cubbies. Have you ever noticed that the teams with the famous fans are usually the teams you hate the most? Cubs, Red Sox, Lakers, Notre Dame.

Foulke You
10-15-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by HawkDJ

Yeah, I think this is accurate. Celebrities don't make the best sports fans. They are usually more concerned with promoting something, being seen somewhere, or looking for a good photo op. John Cusack was on David Letterman and spouted off about his "Cubbies" for what seemed like an eternity. Cusack was rumored to be a Sox fan as well but he was all about the Cubs last night. I have to give props to Sox fan George Wendt (Norm from Cheers). He is about the only Chicago celeb who hasn't switched sides and appeared at Wrigley Field in Cubs garb.