PDA

View Full Version : Strange coincidence

fuzzy_patters
10-15-2003, 12:12 AM
In 1984 the Chicago Cubs reached a point where they needed to win just one game to win the NLCS while the San Diego Padres needed to win 3. In the second to last game, Cubs' firstbasebmam Leon Durham made an error that allowed the Padres to score seven runs in the seventh inning.

In 2003 the Chicago Cubs reached a point where they needed to win just one game to win the NLCS while the Florida Marlins needed to win 3. In the second to last game, Cubs' shortstop made and error that allowed the Marlins to score eight runs in the eighth inning.

Strange, isn't it? As Roberto Benini would say, "Life is Beautiful."

inta
10-15-2003, 12:14 AM
Leon Durham was the SS, not the 1st baseman.
which makes it an even more uncanny coincidence.

SaltyPretzel
10-15-2003, 12:53 AM

fuzzy_patters
10-15-2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by inta
Leon Durham was the SS, not the 1st baseman.
which makes it an even more uncanny coincidence.

You are correct. I fixed it. Perhaps the Cubs should retire the number E6.

Go Fighting Fish!

Viva Magglio
10-15-2003, 12:55 AM
Actually, didn't Leon Durham make his big error in Game 5, the last game? That opened the floodgates.

Kilroy
10-15-2003, 12:57 AM
Leon Durham was the first baseman, not the shortstop. Larry Bowa was that Cub team's SS.

fuzzy_patters
10-15-2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Leon Durham was the first baseman, not the shortstop. Larry Bowa was that Cub team's SS.

That is what I thought, but when inta corrected me I started to doubt myself. I guess I will change it back to the way it read originaly.

ode to veeck
10-15-2003, 01:01 AM
If I remember correctly, the score at one point late in both games was Cubs up 3-0, with Prior on the mound this year and Sutcliff (who had won like 14 straight) on the mound against the Padres in game 5

all said this is all moot without another Marlins win tomorrow

it ain't over til the fat lady sings ... and she only hummed a few bars of warm up tonight

dllrbll7
10-15-2003, 01:04 AM
I read somewhere that the manager of the 84 Padres is the same manager as the Marlins? Is that true?

sox_fan_forever
10-15-2003, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by dllrbll7
I read somewhere that the manager of the 84 Giants is the same manager as the Marlins? Is that true?

You mean Padres, right? And, no, he wasn't the manager, but I think I read he was the GM. Am I right?

Kilroy
10-15-2003, 01:07 AM
I read somewhere that the manager of the 84 Giants is the same manager as the Marlins? Is that true?

Well, the Padres would be the appropriate team, but no, McKeon was not the manager of either the Padres or the Giants.

McKeon was named manager of the Padres in 1988. Before that, he managed the A's starting in 1978, but I can't find for how long...

fuzzy_patters
10-15-2003, 01:10 AM
I just looked up the 1984 NLCS, and the Padres did not have a seven run seventh. They just scored seven total runs. I probably have the details wrong because I was six years old at the time.

I am pretty sure that Jack McKeon would have been the SD Padres general manager in 1984, because I know for a fact that he was the GM that traded Ozzie Guillen to the White Sox for Lamarre Hoyte.

dllrbll7
10-15-2003, 01:18 AM
Well, the Padres would be the appropriate team, but no, McKeon was not the manager of either the Padres or the Giants.

McKeon was named manager of the Padres in 1988. Before that, he managed the A's starting in 1978, but I can't find for how long...

My fault on that one i corrected it, and thanks for the info

Kilroy
10-15-2003, 01:45 AM
My fault on that one i corrected it, and thanks for the info

Looking around a bit further, I found some stuff that indicates that McKeon is listed in the Pads 83 and 84 media guides, but it doesn't give a position for him...

BroadwyBabyMiami
10-15-2003, 02:06 AM
i am almost positive that McKeon was the GM of the Padres at the time. freaky coincidence.
also on a marlinsbaseball.com post Ramp mentioned that Ray Kroc, who was the owner of the Padres, died that year. His wife died last Monday

dllrbll7
10-15-2003, 02:07 AM
Looking around a bit further, I found some stuff that indicates that McKeon is listed in the Pads 83 and 84 media guides, but it doesn't give a position for him...

I saw it on some site tonight but ive been reading soo much i cant find it again. I believe it said Vice President or somehting

dllrbll7
10-15-2003, 02:11 AM
Ok i found it on the suntimes. He was the Vice President of Baseball operations. heres the linkhttp://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-marlnt14.html

inta
10-15-2003, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
That is what I thought, but when inta corrected me I started to doubt myself. I guess I will change it back to the way it read originaly.

oy, i got durham mixed up with dunston.
my bad.

gosox41
10-15-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by inta
oy, i got durham mixed up with dunston.
my bad.

And Bowa.

inta
10-15-2003, 09:29 AM
for some reason i was thinking of dunston when i read leon durham... that's why i thought he was SS.