PDA

View Full Version : The Curse of Cheeses_H_Rice begins

cheeses_h_rice
10-14-2003, 11:35 PM
Guys, I'm writing this through a veil of tears. Tears of extreme, extreme laughter and mirth after witnessing in person what I did tonight. Oh my god, where to start...

So I biked over to the park around the 6th inning to take some photos of the festivities, even if this ended up being the Flubs winning their first pennant in 58 years. I have a friend who is a Flubs fan who no longer lives in Chicago, so I was going to send him some snaps, too.

Needless to say, it was pretty insane around there. Every single bar had a line of 30-200 people outside it. TVs were placed on bar patios for people to look at. There were many, many young people there -- lots of fresh-faced high schoolers and college kids. As I walked around the park and by the various bars, about half the people weren't monitoring the game, only cheering "Cubbies!" when the crowd in the park erupted in cheers. When the Flubs went ahead 3-0 in the 7th, I began to overhear Flub fans chanting "New York Sucks! New York Sucks!" I also heard people saying, "We're gonna KILLLL the Yankees!" and "We're gonna **** **** up in the World Series!" So, in the 8th, I was on Waveland (the police had blocked off access, so that new people couldn't go right behind the park on Waveland). The Fire Station had a TV on, so I stepped inside, joined by about 50 other people. I came in just in time to see the Marlins begin their rally, including "The Fan" interfering with Moises' foul ball (ouch), and then Alex G. with "The Choke." You could just *feel* the vibe of "uh oh" permeating throughout the crowd. The entire crowd erupted into chants of "ASSSS-HOLE, ASSSS-HOLE" multiple times during the inning, too -- but it's the cuddly Flub fans, so that's OK, right? There were these young girls in the firehouse, probably 18 or so, who were drunk and when the Marlins hit the sac fly to go up 4-3, they were cheering really loudly: "Whooooooo!" When someone pointedly told them, "Hey, we're LOSING," one of the girls goes, ".....who CARES!" Around this time, I stepped out and was taking more photos, and apparently Mordecai hit his 3-run double, which you couldn't tell had happened because the noise level in the park had dropped to *zero*. Fans started streaming out; people looked stunned, but I would say more of them looked bummed that they wouldn't be able to par-tay on Waveland that night.

I walked around a bit more, took a few more photos, and biked home, knowing that whatever happens tomorrow, the Flubs proved themselves worthy of their Curse tonight, and in spades, jack! I mean, could you have scripted a more Cub-like choke than that?

Oh, and here's my favorite photo taken tonight. Yes, it's a Flub fan wearing a jersey that doesn't even have the player's name spelled right. (Guess they were out of "Pryor" jerseys.)

*****!!!

FJA
10-14-2003, 11:39 PM
This photo needs to be in the WSI gallery. What a moron!

Tom in Boston
10-14-2003, 11:42 PM
One of my Sox fan friends, who made the unfortunate decision to live in Wrigleyville, called me from the L platform at Addison tonight. She spent much of her evening walking around taking photos of drunk-on-Old-Style Scrub fans being loaded into paddywagons....

Brian26
10-14-2003, 11:49 PM
LOL! Cheeses, that's the funniest thing I've seen all night.

cheeses_h_rice
10-14-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Tom in Boston
One of my Sox fan friends, who made the unfortunate decision to live in Wrigleyville, called me from the L platform at Addison tonight. She spent much of her evening walking around taking photos of drunk-on-Old-Style Scrub fans being loaded into paddywagons....

There were tons of police all over the place, so I actually did not see that much drunken insanity (then again, I didn't dare step foot into the HUGE crowds at Murphy's and other bars directly surrounding the park), just a lot of cheerful youngsters.

bc2k
10-14-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Guys, I'm writing this through a veil of tears. Tears of extreme, extreme laughter and mirth after witnessing in person what I did tonight. Oh my god, where to start...

Oh, and here's my favorite photo taken tonight. Yes, it's a Flub fan wearing a jersey that doesn't even have the player's name spelled right. (Guess they were out of "Pryor" jerseys.)

*****!!!

Cheeses, thank you. This night keeps getting better. "Pryor?" hahahahaa.

As we speak, I'm washing my Cubs Suck shirt, though the magic number should be 1984, to wear tomorrow and rub it into the face of every flubs fan.

brewcrew/chisox
10-14-2003, 11:58 PM
Brilliant,

SF Brilliant!

MHOUSE
10-15-2003, 12:06 AM
Some people call Kerry Woodsy or Woods. It's like a nickname. Whenever he pitches I usually say Woods. Maybe it was on purpose?

cheeses_h_rice
10-15-2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Some people call Kerry Woodsy or Woods. It's like a nickname. Whenever he pitches I usually say Woods. Maybe it was on purpose?

You know, my wife and I purposely say such Chicago-isms like "Hey, I'm going to Jewels" (instead of Jewel), or "I like a good Italian beefs." That said, there's no way an official MLB merchandiser misspells Kerry Wood's name, nor even a bootlegger.

Unless they're a stupid Flubs bootlegger, which appears to be the case here.

:)

cheeses_h_rice
01-21-2004, 11:26 PM
Bump!

RKMeibalane
01-21-2004, 11:31 PM
Great post, cheeses! That was hilarious. If the Cubs actually spent as much time focusing on winning as they're so-called fans do on getting drunk, they might actually win something... well, maybe not.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-21-2004, 11:40 PM
Haha. I still remember this post. The Woods jersey was hilarious. I need to find that bootlegger and buy one! :)

mantis1212
01-21-2004, 11:49 PM
It's fun recalling that night in October!