PDA

View Full Version : Dusty Bakers comments

i_luv_jgarland
10-14-2003, 10:16 PM
I don't think that Dusty shares the sports commentors sentiments about the guy who interfered with that fateful play in the 8th. When asked if he had any comments about the guy... he said 'Ive got nothing to say. Maybe he was a Marlins fan.'

Go fish in game 7! And someone buy that guy a ticket for the same seat!

WhiteSox = Life
10-14-2003, 10:19 PM
But didn't I read that God was a Cubs fan?

HawkDJ
10-14-2003, 10:21 PM
Ridiculous. Did that fan create the error by Gonzalez? Did that fan give up the hits to Pudge, Lee, etc... ? Like someone else mentioned 90% of fans would've reached for that ball. He probably had no clue Alou even had a chance to catch that ball.

But...all is well. :)

Nick@Nite
10-14-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by i_luv_jgarland
I don't think that Dusty shares the sports commentors sentiments about the guy who interfered with that fateful play in the 8th. When asked if he had any comments about the guy... he said 'Ive got nothing to say. Maybe he was a Marlins fan.'

I'm no english major, but isn't that a double negative?

FJA
10-14-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by i_luv_jgarland

Go fish in game 7! And someone buy that guy a ticket for the same seat!

Dusty ought to keep his mouth shut if he has nothing to say. Almost anyone would have reached up for that ball, if for no other reason than to protect himself.

If these Flub fans did what people are saying they did (I haven't seen the punching and beer spilling I've heard about), they should be prosecuted and vilified just like Dybas, Ligue and Co. were in relation to Sox fans. Those incidents had people talking about what scum White Sox fans are. Well, what about idiots who douse beer on and try to beat up someone who looked to me to be a kid? That's just disgusting. You think the drunks a few rows up WOULDN'T have reached for that ball? Give me a break.

Thunderstruck30
10-14-2003, 10:35 PM
The guy had a Cubs hat on! He aint no Marlin fan. Idiot.

brewcrew/chisox
10-14-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Nick@Nite

I'm no english major, but isn't that a double negative?

Actually no.

"I ain't got nothing to say" would be a double negative.

GoSox2K3
10-14-2003, 10:43 PM
I thought Dusty showed very little class in blaming that fan. If he had any sportsmanship, he would have shrugged off that question and brought the discussion back to the Cubs performance.

brewcrew/chisox
10-14-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by FJA

That's just disgusting. You think the drunks a few rows up WOULDN'T have reached for that ball? Give me a break.

Actually the same exact thing did happen in this same series and at the Urinal. I forget which game it was but there was a foul ball near the first base dugout and an another flub fan did reach out and interfere....the only difference was that it was early in the game and it didn't lead to an 8 run inning which is why no one had to be taken out with a sweat shirt over his head.

This is a wonderful day though. Can't think of a happier ending to a game......except for a game 7 win by the fish!!!

GO FISH

By the way,

For the past two days, I've refused to watch the Flub game and went to see a 7:00 movie instead. Each time, I've walked out of the theater and into a pleasant silence. I then come home to watch the highlights.

Be rest assured that I will be doing the exact same thing tomorrow night.

MHOUSE
10-14-2003, 11:00 PM
You're telling me that had the exact same thing happened in the exact same game/situation to Carlos Lee and the White Sox that you would shrug it off and not blame the guy? PLEASE. Give me a break. Someone with any brains would have backed off knowing that is a crucial out in a crucial game for HIS TEAM. That guy is a moron and should dang well be blamed. The momentum swung HUGE after that play. He had better hope that they win tomorrow.

Kilroy
10-14-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
The momentum swung HUGE after that play. He had better hope that they win tomorrow.

That's debateable, because you don't know if Alou would have even caught the ball. The momentum started to swing after Prior tossed ball 4 on the next pitch, and then really swung when the pitch after that was wild...

TornLabrum
10-14-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by brewcrew/chisox
Actually no.

"I ain't got nothing to say" would be a double negative.

What about I ain't got nothin' to say nohow?

MHOUSE
10-14-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
That's debateable, because you don't know if Alou would have even caught the ball. The momentum started to swing after Prior tossed ball 4 on the next pitch, and then really swung when the pitch after that was wild...

I don't know, that was a helluva play and the ball was inches above his glove. You could tell that he had it before the fan interfered. Baker should have yanked Prior after Pudge roped that hanging curveball foul and then hammer the 0-2 slider. It was apparent then that he'd lost it. Waiting until it was 3-3 was a big mistake.

JohnJeter
10-14-2003, 11:18 PM
No double negative by Dusty, just a bit of accidental self-contradiction "Ive got nothing to say", then. . ."Maybe he was a Marlins fan."

So much for not having anything to say!

Kilroy
10-14-2003, 11:19 PM
I don't know, that was a helluva play and the ball was inches above his glove. You could tell that he had it before the fan interfered. Baker should have yanked Prior after Pudge roped that hanging curveball foul and then hammer the 0-2 slider. It was apparent then that he'd lost it. Waiting until it was 3-3 was a big mistake.

Agreed, but you never know. But how many things did the Cubs just plain blow after that?

Wild pitch
Booted DP grounder
Sosa doesn't hit cutoff man so a 2nd intentional walk is needed

The Cubs completely **** themselves that inning...

soxtalker
10-14-2003, 11:30 PM
You're telling me that had the exact same thing happened in the exact same game/situation to Carlos Lee and the White Sox that you would shrug it off and not blame the guy? PLEASE. Give me a break. Someone with any brains would have backed off knowing that is a crucial out in a crucial game for HIS TEAM. That guy is a moron and should dang well be blamed. The momentum swung HUGE after that play. He had better hope that they win tomorrow.

I agree. An example from Boston was repeated many times on the TV news tonight in which the fans did back off to let the fielder get the ball. I've also seen this at Sox park. Don't get me wrong -- I feel sorry for the fan and hope that Cub fans don't decide to take their frustration out on him -- but this is something that an experienced baseball fan should not do. It fits right in with the generalization of Cubs fans that so many of us on this board like to talk about. If a Sox fan had done something similar, I'd be furious.

ma_deuce
10-14-2003, 11:44 PM
I was at a Sox game where some loser tried to go for a homerun and another Sox fan pushed him out of the way. Because of the effort by that guy, the homer was overted and the game won. Fans have to be more attentive and mindful of thier actions.

As far as this one guy, nobody should blame him for anything. Take a good look at the replay and count how many hands were reaching for that ball. If it wasn't him, it would have been five/six other people. Alou never would have caught that ball, in my opinion. And if he had, who knows how the rest of the inning would have went. I don't... nor do I care. Cubs lost. Its a good day.