PDA

View Full Version : My Nite w/ idiots

longshot7
10-14-2003, 10:10 PM
I just got back from the most fun I've had in forever. My friend, a Cub fan, invited me to this bar to watch the game with 50 other Cub fans. So what'd I do - I donned my Sox cap, put on my 97 Marlins World Champs shirt, and went to the bar. I loudly rooted on the Fish and got lots of scowls and anti-Sox epithets my way.

Finally, the Fish scored and I cheered. this drunk guy (big surprise) got in my face and tried to start a fight. I berated him back, asking repeatedly if he knew what the score was. He didn't - of course being a Flub fan and only caring about beer. Finally people had to separate us.

I got the last laugh as the Fish came back and as I left, I reminded the crowd not to be surprised by the outcome. They were after all, rooting for the "lovable losers."

HA! I love it. One more, fish guys.

mike squires
10-14-2003, 10:26 PM
Here I thought the highlight of my night would be sitting on the toilet reading my new issue of Rolling Stone. Boy, was I wrong!!! :D: :D: :D: :D: :D: :D: :D: :D: :D: :D:

QueerGirrl
10-14-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by longshot7
I just got back from the most fun I've had in forever. My friend, a Cub fan, invited me to this bar to watch the game with 50 other Cub fans. So what'd I do - I donned my Sox cap, put on my 97 Marlins World Champs shirt, and went to the bar. I loudly rooted on the Fish and got lots of scowls and anti-Sox epithets my way.

Finally, the Fish scored and I cheered. this drunk guy (big surprise) got in my face and tried to start a fight. I berated him back, asking repeatedly if he knew what the score was. He didn't - of course being a Flub fan and only caring about beer. Finally people had to separate us.

I got the last laugh as the Fish came back and as I left, I reminded the crowd not to be surprised by the outcome. They were after all, rooting for the "lovable losers."

You Rock!!!!!!!

Nick@Nite
10-14-2003, 10:34 PM

You got some serious stones! :cool:

longshot7
10-14-2003, 10:39 PM
What else could I do, take it from a Scrub Fan? NO WAY!!

Nick@Nite
10-14-2003, 10:44 PM
What else could I do, take it from a Scrub Fan? NO WAY!!

How did your Cub friend react? Did he have your back? If it were me (and my luck), I probably would have been sucker-punched while taking a leak.

Konerkoholic
10-14-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
Here I thought the highlight of my night would be sitting on the toilet reading my new issue of Rolling Stone. Boy, was I wrong!!! :D: :D: :D: :D: :D: :D: :D: :D: :D: :D:
That's just sad.

pudge
10-14-2003, 10:47 PM
Personally, I think it's enough to show up in your garb and not rub it in anyone's face - would you be happy if an obnoxious Cubs fan showed up if the Sox were in that situation? Sometimes, Sox fans are just as bad as Cubs fans.

mike squires
10-14-2003, 11:00 PM
Nah, Pudge. It adds to the excitement. That little confrontation that adds to the game. Compitition. We have nothing left but to cheer the Cubs on to defeat. Sadly, these past few days have been the most interesting time to be a Sox fan in a long time. If the Cubs make it to the series...well, we are doomed for years to come. Obnoxious Sox fans in the presence of Cub fans? That's all right with me. Right now, it's all we got.

ewokpelts
10-14-2003, 11:30 PM
I was at the bulls game tonite, and when they updated the score in the 7th(while the flubs were winning), everyone cheered...but when the announcement came in the 8th...all was quiet except for sneakers squeaking and balls bouncing....MEANWHILE, I went to the 100 level and cheered on the marlins while scrub "fans" were watching teh tv screens in horror
Gene

ssang
10-15-2003, 12:01 AM
I've already watched 3 games this postseason in Wrigleyville bars. And each time people got pissed. But today was unreal...although I had to hold it in a little bit towards the end of the game. It was an ugly scene but I was one of maybe 5 total people in Wrigleyville that went home happy!

cheeses_h_rice
10-15-2003, 12:19 AM
I was outside Wrigley from the 6th through the Horror of the 8th, about an hour, and I had my poker face on the entire time. Many times, I was solicited to high-five idiots walking down the street and I just kept on walking. But, I also didn't cheer when the Flubs collapsed in the 8th. In fact, when A-Gone dropped his double-play grounder, I actually screamed out a Santo-esque "Ohhhhh!!!" because I was so surprised.

Anything to "fit in," I guess.

Anyway, I held in my laughter until I was on my bike and headed west on Irving Park. I passed several Coob-friendly bars, and it was like a morgue. Very surreal.

:)