PDA

View Full Version : Great article on Ozzie

Win1ForMe
10-14-2003, 03:03 PM
http://proxy.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2003/columns/story?id=1637623

Sorry, it's on ESPN insider but I'll try to hit the main points here.

Much of the article repeats what we've read in the Tribune and Sun-Times but there's actually some good scout opinion on Guillen and his ability to be a manager.

On tutoring Alex Gonzalez: "...people around the team say Guillen has had a noticeable impact on shortstop Alex Gonzalez's disposition. Gonzalez used to pout and take bad days at the plate into the field with him. Now he's a more focused player, and it shows in the numbers..."

On Ozzie's deameanor: "Guillen doesn't mind playing the clown prince of baseball, but that's just surface stuff. In the words of one scout who knows Guillen, he doesn't take any "crap" from players and knows the game inside and out.

'Ozzie's real sharp,' the scout said. 'He doesn't miss a thing. He's not just some happy-go-lucky guy.' "

The main point of the article is that Ozzie would be perfect for the team as opposed to Gaston, Bell, or Francona. It's pointed out that the Sox played without any enthusiasm, and the personality of Gaston or Francona would not be conducive to fixing the team.

MikeKreevich
10-14-2003, 03:11 PM
Jeff Torborg, talking on the Score today, pretty much said the same thing. He said that Ozzie was the best candidate for the job. Torborg said that Guillen would make an excellent manager, and that Ozzie has no problem letting anyone no how he feels.
Torborg said that Gaston, Francona and Bell would be good choices too.

KingXerxes
10-14-2003, 03:21 PM
This would be the same WSCR radio baseball expert Jeff Torborg who had the Florida Marlins 10 under .500 before being fired this year?

IMHO The White Sox are not a team of budding youngsters, they are playoff ready. There has got to be somebody better out there than Guillen. Here we go again folks. Let's all sit back and watch the first time manager cut his teeth, and give him at least the first full year before we make any sort of judgements about him. Been there, done that.

When everybody starts coming out of the woodwork and supporting Ozzie Guillen, I suspect it's some sort of media trial balloon being floated out there by The JR/KW Machine.

Only if fans blow up will this fate be avoided.

A.T. Money
10-14-2003, 03:32 PM
If Ozzie is hired, and Robbie Alomar is still around, Wee Wee Willy will have to find another new number.

Dadawg_77
10-14-2003, 04:04 PM
Can Ozzie handle a bullpen? That is the most imporant task a manager has.

soxnut
10-14-2003, 04:19 PM
I want Ozzie to be our manager. I seriously doubt he'd be bad. He knows and loves the game, and he doesn't take crap from anyone. We need a guy like Ozzie, his enthusiasm will spill out into the other players. He has a good coaching staff around him, who he will get expert advice from while performing his mangerial duties.

And say all you want about experienced managers.........they all got fired.... at some point.....for ineptitude.........didn't they????? I'm tired of all the retreads. The only retread I'd want would be Joe Torre, if the GS is tupid enough to fire him.