PDA

View Full Version : The White Sox Really don't exsist to the media

ssang
10-14-2003, 02:27 PM
I came across this article on ESPN.com today. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2003/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1637486 It talks about how the Cubs and the Red Sox have not won a world series in quite some time. Now I know that we're out of it and obviously, the Red Sox and Cubs are still in the playoffs. However, it pisses me off that an entire, lengthy article can go without even mentioning the White Sox and our world series ineptitude. Not even a single word is uttered about our Sox. I'm telling you, the media either isn't aware of the Sox putrid postseason history or they don't even realize that the Sox or the fans exsist at all. WHITE SOX FANS ARE TRULY THE MOST TORTURED IN ALL OF SPORTS!!!! We have the same horrible history as the Cubs and BoSox but we don't even have 1/10 of the recognition as them. DAMN!

bobj4400
10-14-2003, 02:30 PM
That is b/c our fans dont embrace the loser image that the Flubs and BoSox fans have swallowed hook, line and sinker.

MisterB
10-14-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by ssang
Now I know that we're out of it and obviously, the Red Sox and Cubs are still in the playoffs. However, it pisses me off that an entire, lengthy article can go without even mentioning the White Sox and our world series ineptitude. Not even a single word is uttered about our Sox.

I would prefer the Sox ineptitude be kept as far from the headlines as posssible, but that's just me...

ssang
10-14-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
I would prefer the Sox ineptitude be kept as far from the headlines as posssible, but that's just me...

I agree with you 100%. But I am just amazed that how insignificant the White Sox really are. I truly wonder what things would be like (from a national media standpoint) if the we were coming home up 3 games to 2 in the ALCS. I pray to God that we'll find out next season.

MarqSox
10-14-2003, 03:37 PM
The only positive that could possibly come out of the flubs winning (and this is truly a silver lining, not an actual "positive")would be that the media would have no choice but to acknowlege us. Under no circumstances would I want the "loveable loser" image, but if the Sox gain sympathy (and thereby fan support) by inheriting the Most Inept Franchise tag, it can only help in the long run.

Dadawg_77
10-14-2003, 03:53 PM
In other cities, fans jump on the bandwagon when times get good, then hurtle themselves off when the losing starts again. But Cubs fans are different. They jump on -- but they never jump off.

This is what get my goat, is people saying that Cubs fans are god's gift to the world. Seriously the Cub's didn't draw well before the Trib bought them and spon the team as being a place to have a great time. Arny Harris always getting cute ladies on TV, Harry in the bleachers knocking a few back with hot trickies around him, made Wrigley the place to be. Thus the Cubs draw extremely well. When Lee Lia(sp?) went off the attendance was 9000 people, the Cubs drew 9000 per game in 1980. What draws people now is the atmosphere of Wrigley which the Tribune created. True Cub's attendance would be up this year no matter what, but no team draws like the Cubs, because the Cubs created one hell of marketing campaign. This doesn't say thing about the quality of fans the Cub's have.

Dadawg_77
10-14-2003, 03:54 PM
I hate the fact that ESPN hides their writers from readers email.

cheeses_h_rice
10-14-2003, 04:19 PM
In other cities, fans jump on the bandwagon when times get good, then hurtle themselves off when the losing starts again. But Cubs fans are different. They jump on -- but they never jump off.

*Some* Cub fans never jumped off. But are those people sitting in the seats real fans, one might ask? I tend to define fandom with an emphasis on "fanatic" -- in touch with the organization's history, offseason moves, the personnel beyond the egomaniacal right fielder -- and think that truly knowledgeable fans of the game are not nearly as plentiful at Wrigley as butts in the seats.

It's a maddening argument; Flub fans get so much credit for showing up at their beautiful ballmall, as if that's the only barometer for how "loyal" they are, and the historical park and neighborhood surroundings have zilch to do with their attendance.

And why does it seem like so many "loyal," "long-suffering" Cub fans all of 24 years old and from Iowa, Indiana, downstate Illinois, and Michigan?

kingkirk04
10-14-2003, 06:31 PM
Maybe ESPN is writing about the Red Sox and Cubs because they are in the playoffs, and your team isn't? Think.

duke of dorwood
10-14-2003, 07:12 PM
We are baseballs answer to the Chicago Wolves in this town

AsInWreck
10-14-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by kingkirk04
Maybe ESPN is writing about the Red Sox and Cubs because they are in the playoffs, and your team isn't? Think.

"Now I know that we're out of it and obviously, the red sox and cubs are still in the playoffs..."- thread starter

Read.