PDA

View Full Version : Among the known candidates for new White Sox manager...

Viva Magglio
10-14-2003, 01:18 PM
...whom do you want to succeed Jerry Manuel? None of them knock my Sox off.

MetalliSox
10-14-2003, 01:22 PM
I think Mike Hargrove should be getting more of a look. He even expressed interest. He has experience and is a proven winner. He did alright with a young Orioles squad the last two years, just in a really tough division.

A.T. Money
10-14-2003, 01:23 PM
I think I like Hargrove the best too. But for this poll, I chose Buddy Bell.

poorme
10-14-2003, 01:32 PM
That's funny. I spent the last 5 years living 30 miles outside Baltimore, and I don't think I ever heard anything good about Hargrove. I have another friend in Cleveland who swears he is the worst manager ever and that his incompetence is the only thing that prevented the Indians from winning a few championships. Oh, and the time earlier this year when he accidently went to the mound twice in an inning which necessitated bringing in a pitcher who didn't get to warm up. Unfortunately for Grover, the pitcher promptly gave up the game winning homer. Oh, well. At least he has experience!

LuvSox
10-14-2003, 01:34 PM
Ozzie. You can't deny that he has energy, something this team needs badly.

MetalliSox
10-14-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by poorme
That's funny. I spent the last 5 years living 30 miles outside Baltimore, and I don't think I ever heard anything good about Hargrove. I have another friend in Cleveland who swears he is the worst manager ever and that his incompetence is the only thing that prevented the Indians from winning a few championships.

Funny, I thought it was Jose Mesa blowing Game 7 that held the Tribe from winning the World Series.

All I want is a guy who is a proven winner. Margrove managed the Tribe in the 90's when they ruled the division and at times, the entire AL.
I'm sick of giving bench coaches and base coaches their first jobs. I do think Ozzie could be better then some people think. He played the game it was suppose to be played. He hustled after every ball and even though he never saw a first pitch he didn't like, he was one of the best #9 hitters I have seen...is that an oxymoron?

I guess I'll vote for Oz-aroo.

hold2dibber
10-14-2003, 01:46 PM
I chose Backman (begrudgingly). I can't imagine Ozzie Guillen trying to manage this team - I like the enthusiasm with which he played the game, but goofiness and enthusiasm is not going to get it done as a manager. I don't think the players would respect him - he'd be in over his head. Francona and Bell have both already shown me that they're not winning MLB managers (I know that can change, but I've never heard anything good about Buddy Bell as a manager; I'm a little more open about Francona, but I have yet to see any reason to think he'd succeed). I was a proponent of Cito earlier, but the more I hear about his demeanor and style, the less I think he would meet this team's needs. I don't know a lot about Backman except that his teams (from what I've read/heard) play hard and with great intensity and desire. I'm not sure how he does it - by yelling and screaming (Pineilla), by fostering a real "team" chemistry and togetherness (Tony Pena), by being a cool professional who gives and demands respect for the game (Torre), or otherwise. But the team needs desire, focus and urgency. Backman seems like a better choice than the others in light of those needs.

Eddie Gaedel
10-14-2003, 01:56 PM
i like ozzie. my only concern is how he handles the pitching staff.

kraut83
10-14-2003, 02:05 PM
In a Pro-Ozzie article on espn insider today, it was also mentioned that former Phils manager Nick Leyva was now a candidate. Does anyone know anything about this guy?

The link for those registered:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2003/columns/story?id=1637623

KingXerxes
10-14-2003, 02:26 PM
Where is Jim Leyland? Does he not want to manage anymore, or did he step on somebody's toes and is now being ignored?

I suppose - based on the above list - Backman would be the best choice, but I don't see The JR and KW Roadshow hiring him and giving him any rope whatsoever.

jeremyb1
10-14-2003, 03:02 PM
I think I have to go with Ozzie at this point. Bell and Francona have been utter failures as managers at the major league level, I'm not sure Gaston is enough of a change from Manuel, and I'm not a huge fan of Backman's small ball philosophy. Ozzie's the biggest risk but I think that's what this club needs at this point, a manager who has the ability to shake things up and do a 180 with the team's attitude.

koch44
10-15-2003, 11:54 AM
According to another board and Baseball Weekly, Backman won't be interviewed because he called Gardenhire and told him to kick the Sox ass, so that he could get Manuel's job.