PDA

View Full Version : Andy the Clown?

roofshot87
10-14-2003, 01:35 AM
I was looking through the Old Comiskey part of the site, and I stumbled across a picture of Andy the Clown. What happened to him, and why hasn't he made an appearance at the new ballpark?

39thandWallace
10-14-2003, 01:49 AM
I have a buddy that is on this site Cletus he told me that after they moved into this new park and they didn't invite him back.
I don't know for sure but I think he might be dead?

roofshot87
10-14-2003, 01:55 AM
He was invited? I thought he just showed up.

SoxRulecubsdrool
10-14-2003, 02:23 AM
Okay, here's the scoop.
Last spring, I am taking my girls to daycare. This one guy that I haven't seen too many times before notices my Sox cap and comes up to me in the main entrance and says something like "hey, how about those Sox, are they playing the cubs in that series yet?" So I can tell this guy knows nothing about baseball. This is April and we won't see the cubs for a while. We start to bulls**t and he tells me that he is Andy the Clowns nephew. He tells me that he died a few years back. The funny thing is, he knows this guy but he knows very little about his Sox past. He never realized that Andy was a bit unwelcomed at the new park. He said he thinks his Uncle was upset that they tore down the old park and never wanted to go to the new park. To make a long story short, he died, his nephew knows very little about him, my daughters day care is very heavily cub induced.
Extra note: My older brother says that Andy use to live in our old neighborhood on the southwest side near Pulaski and he had a good looking daughter or two. Dropped in a few parties at the clowns house.
:gulp:

Hangar18
10-14-2003, 08:53 AM
Yeah, he was told not to come to the new park. I thought it was a bit heavy handed, but the SOX are not known for Good PR Moves. I mean for god sakes, Ronnie Woo Woo is on the Today Show !!!! I think he died in 1999. I showed up early for the last game of the season I believe, and they were doing a Video Tribute of him. I saw a couple guys just watching it, and I asked why they were doing that. They said they announced that he'd passed away the day before. It was fairly moving, the SOX have way more video footage/history on Andy the Clown, than you'd think. It was almost "forced" the way they put that
tribute together for him

jortafan
10-14-2003, 09:34 AM
I got to talk with Andy the Clown the first game I ever went to the New Comiskey.

That first season in the new building (1991) the White Sox gave him a pass so he could get in free, but they forbade him from wearing the clown getup or makeup, so what I got to chat with for an inning while he sat down next to me to rest up was an old man in a Sox jacket and cap. Of course, he still had that extremely loud voice that could reach excessively high pitches and could be heard throughout the stadium (which was packed with people those first few seasons).

While I know some of us here have unpleasant memories of Andy, I don't. Admittedly, he hit me up for the cost of a beer, but also shared some great Sox stories. It was worth it. And I always found his schtick in the old park to be amusing.

It was after the first season that the White Sox had a change of heart and took away Andy's pass. They decided he didn't quite fit into the new stadium image they wanted to create. Guess his chants of "Go You White Sox" detracted from having fans watch the dot races on the scoreboard or whatever other nonsense they have come up with since.

soxruleEP
10-14-2003, 10:50 AM
Andy's last name was Ruzdillsky. His daughter was one of the opposing coaches when I was still coaching hs bskball. She was also a referee.

Sadly, he passed a way a few years ago. When the Sox moved into the new stadium, they wouldn't allow him to appear in makeup.

A.T. Money
10-14-2003, 11:26 AM
Even though Andy is dead, it's a shame that the Sox pull these little stunts. I remember Andy as a kid at all those games at the old park. It's a shame that a lot of kids that only know the new park couldn't experience those moments.

34 Inch Stick
10-14-2003, 12:05 PM
As a young kid he yelled at my brother and I. I hate clowns. He should have been treated better though.

rmusacch
10-14-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Yeah, he was told not to come to the new park. I thought it was a bit heavy handed, but the SOX are not known for Good PR Moves. I mean for god sakes, Ronnie Woo Woo is on the Today Show !!!! I think he died in 1999. I showed up early for the last game of the season I believe, and they were doing a Video Tribute of him. I saw a couple guys just watching it, and I asked why they were doing that. They said they announced that he'd passed away the day before. It was fairly moving, the SOX have way more video footage/history on Andy the Clown, than you'd think. It was almost "forced" the way they put that
tribute together for him

I liked this season how the Sox broadcasts started showing a lot of historical footage of old Sox teams. I would love to get my hands on the video libraries that WGN/FSC have.

GoSox2K3
10-14-2003, 03:35 PM
I remember seeing Andy the last few years at old Comiskey and I thought he was really weird. I wasn't too impressed and sort of felt sorry for him. But, he was another bit of local atmosphere at the park.

One of Reinsdorf's biggest accomplishments in 22 years as Sox owner is to totally whitewash as much White Sox history and character from the franchise and ballpark as possible. He has been immensly successful in this effort and has succeeded beyond his wildest dreams in turning the Sox into a generic franchise. If he put as much effort into "building a 1st class franchise" as he did in sterilizing the franchise, we'd probably be awash in pennants right now.

Now that you guys mention Andy, I'm sort of surprised that the Cubs didn't hire him in '91, turn him into a national celebrity, convince everyone that he's been w/ the Cubs for decades, and then erect a statue to him after his death.

KingXerxes
10-14-2003, 04:01 PM
Somebody had mentioned earlier that Andy the Clown lived just off of Pulaski - and that is correct. My uncle lived across the alley from him just off of 56th and Springfield. I never knew Andy personally, but my uncle couldn't stand him. He (my uncle) swears he never met a bigger tightwad in his life. This was backed up years later when Andy the Clown was on the Jonathan Brandmeier Show in Chicago. Bruce Wolf - who was then doing sports on that show - picked up right away on the fact that this guy was one miserly human being. When I told my uncle about the radio show he just shook his head, and told me about the time Andy the Clown's garage was broken into, and his lawnmower stolen - I could go on with this story, but let's just let the dead rest in peace.

I just wonder if the guy who stole the lawnmower realizes today - as he's mowing his lawn - that he's using Andy the Clown's old lawnmower.

HawkDJ
10-14-2003, 05:15 PM
Can somebody explain to my who Andy the Clown was? What did he do at Old Comiskey that made him so special?