PDA

View Full Version : White Sox fans who root for the cubs are scum

OurBitchinMinny
10-13-2003, 11:39 PM
I was reading an article in the suntimes and it said that a lot of sox fans at puffers are rooting for the cubs...all but 2 that they asked or something. Thats disgraceful. This "chicago" WS thing is bull. How can any white sox fan pull for the cubs. They have been given a free pass to the WS by getting to play Florida and I am gonna be forced to root for the yankees. It will be unbearable if the cubs win the WS

oheeoh...magglio
10-13-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by ChisoxfaninMinny
I was reading an article in the suntimes and it said that a lot of sox fans at puffers are rooting for the cubs...all but 2 that they asked or something. Thats disgraceful. This "chicago" WS thing is bull. How can any white sox fan pull for the cubs. They have been given a free pass to the WS by getting to play Florida and I am gonna be forced to root for the yankees. It will be unbearable if the cubs win the WS

That post reflects the thoughts of many sox fans (including me) very well. This cubs in the playoffs thing is sickening, especially for us back down here in illinois. :angry:

Lip Man 1
10-14-2003, 12:13 AM
The Cubs (as has been their history) have caught some very big breaks this playoff season but don't forget they made their own breaks by

1. actually qualifing for the post season

2. beating a 100 win team in the Braves when they did not have home field advantage.

They may have still more luck going their way...the Red Sox may actually beat the Yankees Their pitching (outside of Pedro) doesn't come close to matching what the Yanks can throw against the Cubs.

Meanwhile what kind of luck do the Sox have?..... exactly.

Lip

StillMissOzzie
10-14-2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The Cubs (as has been their history) have caught some very big breaks this playoff season but don't forget they made their own breaks by

2. beating a 100 win team in the Braves when they did not have home field advantage.

Lip

Let me add to your list, Lip.
3. By virtue of the Fish beating the Giants, the Scrubs - with the worst record of ANY of the eight post-season teams - regain home field advantage, even though the wild card Fish had a better record than the Scrubs

Thanks again, Hank Blalock and Eric Gagne's ONE blown save this year, to give the AL the WS home field advantage.

:gulp:
SMO

roofshot87
10-14-2003, 02:02 AM
Here's a question, how many Cub fans do you think would pull for the Sox if they were in this sort of WS berth? Just a thought.

SoxRulecubsdrool
10-14-2003, 02:09 AM
I can honestly say from my family or my circle of friends, not one is rooting for the cubs.
Being a White Sox fan and cheering on the cubs makes me want to puke: :chunks

Bisco Stu
10-14-2003, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by roofshot87
Here's a question, how many Cub fans do you think would pull for the Sox if they were in this sort of WS berth? Just a thought.

All of them, actually. No bigger bandwagon jumper in the known solar system than a Flubs fan.

inta
10-14-2003, 03:43 AM
i agree, any sox fan who switches allegiances is scum. it's far far far worse for a sox fan to become a cubs fan than vice versa.

i actually am friends with a 2 "hardcore" cubs fans, and my mom is one too. they're actually bemoaning all the bandwagon jumpers who are suddenly cubbie crazy... what a rough life.
sheez

hsnterprize
10-14-2003, 07:44 AM
I personally wouldn't call Sox fans who are rooting for the Cubs "scum", but it is pretty aggravating to see many Sox fans becoming "Johnny..." and "Jenny Come Latelys" in this Cub push for the pennant. As far as I'm concerned, if they're rooting for the Cubs to win, they weren't real Sox fans in the first place. I realize there's a lot of excitement here in Chicago over the Cubs' success. You can't ignore it no matter how hard you try. It's all over the place.

To a certain extent, I can understand why there are so many bandwagon jumpers in this situation. However, this whole thing either causes Sox fans to be more resolute and determined to hold our team accountable to bringing a Series winner to the south side, or break their will and join the crowd.

I'd like to encourage Sox fans to "keep the faith" even though our team is only watching their rivals take all the attention. Personally, I think it's sickening. However, it'll all pass. Believe me. As hard as it may be to believe, this situation will pass.

Mammoo
10-14-2003, 10:32 AM
I think the ratcheting up of Cub hatred is a reaction to the embarrassing way our team played when it mattered most.

Let's face it, we identify with our team and since they played like girlie-men down the stretch, it doesn't sit well.

The question is this; Were Ken Williams and Jerry Reinsdorf sufficiently embarrassed by the team's September Swoon to make sure it doesn't happen again? :?:

ssang
10-14-2003, 10:41 AM
Bottom line is that any Sox fan who actually cheers for the Cubs at anytime should NOT be considered a real White Sox fan. It's part of the package. You one love team (Sox) and hate the other (Cubs). If you like 'em both then you're a casual fan and IMO a casual fan ain't a real fan. MARLINS in 7! All of our agony and pain felt up until this point will be worth it. 1984 will be nothing compared to this collapse.

JohnJeter
10-14-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by roofshot87

If the Sox were playing the Cardinals in the World Series?

I think one of the reasons it seems that "Cub fans care less about the Sox than do Sox fans about the Cubs" is that many Cub fans focus their hatred on the Cards and their fans.

Sox yet again come in second, even when it comes to getting hated! Oof. I'm sure I'll receive almost unanimous dissent on this view here.

Chisox353014
10-14-2003, 11:14 AM
IMO, this is far and away the most disturbing and depressing thing about this whole Flubbie nightmare. I can deal with the media worshipping them; most media people are transplants from other places who root for the Scrubs because it's trendy. All the bandwagoners with the brand new Flubs hats are damn annoying but hardly unexpected. A lot of those "casual fans" would have jumped on our bandwagon if we were in the same situation. But Sox fans pulling for the Flubs? That's just wrong. Even if you don't have the severe old-school, like-one-team-hate-the-other thing going on, it's still wrong.
Cubs success has a direct negative effect on the Sox; less media coverage, fewer current fans, fewer future fans. A smaller fanbase means less money and an excuse to put an inferior team on the field. Which means less winning. How any Sox fan could be fine with this is totally baffling to me. Screw the Cubs. I'd rather take a sharp stick in the eye than pull for those ^%*&%*.

washington
10-14-2003, 11:17 AM
The Cubune is inadvertantly putting the lie to the "Cub fans care less about the Sox than do Sox fans about the Cubs" myth by publishing letters to the editors from Cubs fans lashing out at the White Sox and their fans. They should be enjoying the only Flubs pennant they will see in their lifetimes. Reminds me of Cleveland fans in the mid-1990s

Dadawg_77
10-14-2003, 11:21 AM
It depends, there are some Sox fans outside of Chicago who may want the Cubs to win since they hate the Marlins for some reason, or if by chance the Cubs make it to the WS, want the Cubs to beat the Yankees or Red Sox.

JohnJeter
10-14-2003, 11:26 AM
I'm saying Cub fan enmity gets spread around a bit more than Sox fan enmity. I suppose one could point to the Yanks or Tribe or Twins as parallels to the Cards, but imo it's not the same. Especially when it gets down to the fans- Cub fans really hate Cardinal fans and their seasonal infestations of the city.

Additionally, it's easier for Cub fans to be smug and dismissive of the Sox and their fans (whether justified or not) than it is for them to be regarding the Cards.

DaveGusinSeattle
10-14-2003, 11:32 AM
I would rather blow chunks than become a Cub fan, even after leaving the Chicago area 16 years ago. Old habits die hard. Real hard. Haven't really rooted for the Mariners either. Mariners choked here two years in a row, not as badly as the Sox this year though. :angry:

BTW People here in Seattle think I would be rooting for the Cubs. They just have no concept of a dual-team market rivalry.

The Cubune is really low class outfit, by publishing letters to the editors from Cubs fans lashing out at the White Sox and their fans. Why can't they just revel in whatever wins they can muster against the Marlins... Bring on the BoSox or Yanks; yeah...I can't wait!!! :D:

Hangar18
10-14-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

OK, thats a good point. but if THEY DONT GET THE FOLLOWING BREAKS, they dont get a chance to accomplish points 1 & 2 you point out. The following have helped GREATLY

1. Refusing Fay Vincents Request that they move to the NL West
so that the eastern time zoned Reds could finally capitalize on charging Prime Time Rates on advertising on their road games. The cubs, who stood to lose a bit of money (rightfully so, the reds shouldve been in the east div, not the cubs) Preferred the Satus Quo, then subsequently, Lead a Power Play (iwith the minority owners who had the Real Power in baseball) and Ran him out of Office. There hasnt been a Comissioner since.

2. With an Owner (bud selig and member of the small but powerful minority "large market" owners contingent) hand-picked
as "faux" comissioner, Bud tips best friend, and fellow MLB (twins) owner Carl Pohlad, that hes about to be "contracted" and stands to make 350 million in a buyout. Pohlad then
"rejects" a NC auto moguls advances to buy the team for 180 Million.

3. Knowing they will be folded, the Twins Reject the notion of drafting a widely regarded athlete out of USC, Unanimously picked to be the #1 pick. Said athlete requests an Exorbitant
amount of money ($10,000,000) further complicating matters.

4. Twins do indeed pass player up, and said Player instead
"Falls" into the Cubs laps. Without said player, cubs enjoy
another .500 season.

5. During the season, and barely hovering at .500, and a season about to pass by the wayside and holes in their LIneup at 3B, 1B, and CF, among other places....., The cubs take advantage of a Pittsburgh Pirate team, Hopelessly in financial Straits, and in dire need of either Brinks Truck to fall out of the Sky loaded with millions, or unloading all of its key players, and
pick and choose from the Pirates a 3B, 1B and CF'er. These players, on the Open Market, wouldve Cost Millions AND/OR many good players from a minor league system. That isnt the case, as theyre acquired for little more than an Underachieving 2nd baseman in the minor leagues. Without economic system in place for baseball leading to Pirates giveaway (within division no less) the Cubs would enjoy another .500 season and would
be watching the Playoffs from home like us.

6. What may be the ULTIMATE in ironies, the Cubs "acquired" Matt Clement from the Marlins as a "throw in" in the Foolish Julian Tavarez (who was playing badly) to the Marlins for Closer Alfonseca deal. The cubs included a minor leaguer they had no idea would be productive for the Marlins (Willis) and the Marlins THREW in Matt Clement as an Afterthought, because of his High Salary. The Marlins appear to have been 1 Pitcher SHORT in the post season, and actually LOST to the guy they "gave" away.

SO as you see, the cubs being in this spot, is more a Product of an INCREDIBLE SET OF CIRCUMSTANCES, than them being finally a "Good Team". The only Comfort I get in them making the World Series is that they got in by Default. If it was going to take these Circumstances, than so be it.

Jerko
10-14-2003, 12:16 PM
I don't know what I want to happen; the Cubs losing now or losing in the World Series. Being a Raider fan, I am still devastated on how they lost that Super Bowl, especially since they are still playing like crap npw. So, do we wish the Cubs an early exit to save ourselves from even more games, or do we wish that they make it all the way, just to lose in that final series and feel the sting all winter? I don't know, that's a tough one. I kind of don't even want them to make the Series.

KingXerxes
10-14-2003, 12:49 PM
The Cubs fans I know - and let me say that they are knowledgable fans - would call the season a success if they won the pennant. If they win in the Series - fine - but most of these guys have long thought they'd never live long enough to see a pennant.

I remind them that they still haven't, and may not. They sadly agree. I think Florida is a better team than most of them were counting on.

TDog
10-14-2003, 01:08 PM
In baseball, getting to the World Series used to be enough. For Cubs and White Sox fans it still may be. With the layers of playoffs diluting the importance of the regular season (although to a far lesser degree than in other sports), many don't remember who lost the series. Even when there was only one round of league playoffs and the 1973 Mets won a fluke pennant, most people forgot about them and remembered the champion A's.

The Cubs getting to the World Series may be a different story. I don't know how it would play out against the Red Sox, but if they were to lose to the Yankees, people might forget about the Yankees winning and declare the Cubs "champions in our hearts."

I'd much rather see the Marlins win another championship.

I'm glad I don't get television.

39thandWallace
10-14-2003, 09:43 PM
I am a CHICAGO FAN I am a Bulls fan, I love the Blackhawks along with the Bears and of course White Sox. Many people on here pick and choose from across the country which teams to follow, this I can't relate to or understand. I will NOT cheer against the cubs, but I will not enjoy it as much as if it where the Sox. If you don't agree with me I don't care, I love this city I LIVE in this city and I will never under ANY circumstances pull for a team outside of CHICAGO.

Tom in Boston
10-14-2003, 10:12 PM
But don't you get it? The Scrubs are NOT a Chicago team. They represent Starbucks, Abercrombie & Fitch, SUV's, and all the other trappings of modern American yuppie culture. It may have settled at the corner of Clark and Addison, but that does not make it Chicagoan. What else is there to say about a team whose fan base consists entirely of Iowans, South Florida retirees who get WGN, frat boys from Champaign, North Shore trust-fund babies, and bandwagon-jumpers who have lived here for all of 3 months?

If Chicago is our backyard, the Cubs are simply a weed that has sprouted up by chance. Do we pull out the weed, or do we welcome the weed as "part of our backyard?"

Bisco Stu
10-15-2003, 01:20 AM
Any true Chicagoan (not some transplant journalist/editor from Moline) knows that the Sox fans hatred of the Flubs is far more intense than Flubs fans resenting the Sox.

They're all too drunk to be angry...

Bisco Stu
10-15-2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Tom in Boston
But don't you get it? The Scrubs are NOT a Chicago team. They represent Starbucks, Abercrombie & Fitch, SUV's, and all the other trappings of modern American yuppie culture. It may have settled at the corner of Clark and Addison, but that does not make it Chicagoan.

Perfectly stated.

39thandWallace
10-15-2003, 03:31 AM
That is just simply my opinion and I am sick and tired of constant complaining of my fellow sox fans. They are were they are because they played well and I don't think they are getting breaks. Personally, I would rather discuss the future of the Sox. Who will be the next manager? What players are we signing and letting go? I'm just sick of all the bitching and crying, let's take the high road here guys.

Paulwny
10-15-2003, 10:48 AM
This thread and similar threads have to bring a smile to any sox official who visits this site. "Don't worry JR, their now fighting amongst themselves and no longer blaming us as they had throughout the season."

This just furthers JR's belief that sox fans will accept a mediocre team as long as it's better then the cubs. Well this year it blew up in his face.

Continually claiming poverty and spending just enough money to stay competative in a very weak division has become the norm.If he had increased pay roll by $10 mil we fill some holes and win the division. But no, he and his partners pay themselves first and then determine what pay roll will be.

When he bought this team he brought in some fa's Fisk, Luzinski, etc, and increased pay roll and then slowly went in the other direction. He's no different then a restaurant owner who offers quality dishes at competative prices and becomes the talk of the town. Then, because of greed he buys cheaper and cheaper cuts of meat hoping no one will notice.

Look at the threads on this site. No longer are we demanding a larger pay roll but we're discussing trading Maggs, Frank, Lee, etc. Instead we should be demanding that key players be resigned and fa's acquired to fill holes.I stopped believing the sox hype about future "Cy Young's" with Scott Ruffcorn.

Many here have laughed at cub fans because even though the cubs lost a game many of them went home happy because Samee hit a hr. Someone explain to me how different this is then a sox fan saying, "The sox lost but I feel a little better because the cubs lost".

Well I don't give a damn if the sox are only better then the cubs. I want the sox to be better then every team in the central div, the best team in the Al and the best team in baseball.

Stop questioning the loyalty of sox fans and question the loyalty of JR and his partners to sox fans.

Dadawg_77
10-15-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny

I don't think anyone has forgotten but the mistakes of the Sox, just there isn't much new but speculating on new manager and whether Colon will resign. Plus for fans living in Chicago, the Cubs are a more immediate concern. Once this is over, all Sox fan's focus will turn back to the Sox but now, Go Marlins.

39thandWallace
10-15-2003, 02:40 PM
Well done Paulwny.