PDA

View Full Version : BA on Neal Cotts

Daver
10-13-2003, 06:56 PM
From the AFL Report. (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/031013afl_cotts.html)

poorme
10-13-2003, 07:05 PM
I think the question is when do you give him a real chance at a starting job?

GoSox2K3
10-13-2003, 07:10 PM
"It was real exciting. I can't lie; it was a dream come true," Cotts said of his initial trip to the big leagues.

He will use the experience, especially the trip to Yankee Stadium, as a building block.

:jerry
That is what the Yankee game was all about - giving Neal a building block. We already won that series, so another win wouldn't have mattered.

Lip Man 1
10-13-2003, 07:55 PM
Poorme asks: "I think the question is when do you give him a real chance at a starting job?

Answers:

1. When he can find home plate instead of walking five guys a game

2. The next time the Sox are "rebuilding" (which could very well be next season) but until then as long as the Sox are trying to make the playoffs, Mr. Cotts stays on the bench or in the minor leagues. The Sox don't need another Danny "I Can't Pitch" Wright or Jon "No Gonads" Garland in the rotation.

Lip

nodiggity59
10-13-2003, 10:24 PM
god i hope he beats mark prior someday

crector
10-13-2003, 10:41 PM
2. The next time the Sox are "rebuilding" (which could very well be next season) but until then as long as the Sox are trying to make the playoffs, Mr. Cotts stays on the bench or in the minor leagues. The Sox don't need another Danny "I Can't Pitch" Wright or Jon "No Gonads" Garland in the rotation.

Lip

Wright is a proven long relief pitcher, but not starter material. Garland was pitching much better towards the end of the season including a 3-hitter against KC. What the Sox really need, if Colon doesn't sign up, is for Josh Stewart to return next year with health problems solved, Flash Gordon to return as closer, and for either Marte or Schoenweiss(sp) to make starter and pitch in that capacity at least as well as they did as relievers. If we can do this, then the Central Division should be ours next year.

As for Mr. Neal "Santa's Reindeer in front of the Yankee Headlights" Cotts, let's hold off on bringing him up from the minors until after the All-Star break and restrict his pitching to teams like Detroit and Tampa Bay.

soxtalker
10-13-2003, 10:55 PM
The article also says that the Sox also acquired Daylan Holt in the deal with the A's. I didn't remember this. Where's he and does anyone know anything about him?

Lip Man 1
10-13-2003, 11:09 PM
Crector says: "Wright is a proven long relief pitcher

I'm not trying to pick on you but how can you make that claim? You base it on what five or six relief appearances? (If he had that many...)

Danny Wright is going into his 3rd MLB season and has yet to prove anything. The only thing that he's shown so far is his consistent inconsistency.

Lip

dougs78
10-14-2003, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Crector says: "Wright is a proven long relief pitcher

I'm not trying to pick on you but how can you make that claim? You base it on what five or six relief appearances? (If he had that many...)

Danny Wright is going into his 3rd MLB season and has yet to prove anything. The only thing that he's shown so far is his consistent inconsistency.

Lip

Hey, the bottom line is wins and Danny won 14 games in 2002. For those of you that are worried about the Cubs, thats tied with Kerry Wood's career high. Wright deserves a shot at the rotation without question. Would I rather have someone better? Of course, but he certainly has proven he deserves that shot.

Randar68
10-14-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by crector
What the Sox really need, if Colon doesn't sign up, is for Josh Stewart to return next year with health problems solved, Flash Gordon to return as closer, and for either Marte or Schoenweiss(sp) to make starter and pitch in that capacity at least as well as they did as relievers. .

If the Sox end up with Stewart and Schoenweiss in the rotation instead of Colon and anyone else, they will finish no better than 3rd in their division next year. Stewart is not a major league starter, plain and simple, and Schoenweiss hasn't done anything impressive as a starter EVER.

MarkEdward
10-14-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
The article also says that the Sox also acquired Daylan Holt in the deal with the A's. I didn't remember this. Where's he and does anyone know anything about him?

From what I remember, he's Texas A&M's all-time home run king. Spent most of the year in Winston-Salem, posting a .259/.326/.438 line. A non-prospect.