PDA

View Full Version : Question on Bill Veeck

BackInBlack
10-13-2003, 03:33 PM
I'm in the midst of reading Bill Veeck's autobiography. I knew the dude was revolutionary, but every time I turn another page, my jaw drops down even further. I suggest you check it out, it's called, "Veeck, as in Wreck."

Anyway, I got to wondering about the background of Bill Veeck's heritage. What kind of name is Veeck? Is it German or Irish... hell, it could be Asian for all I know.

He made a few references to the Nordic Gods and Valhalla and the like. Could he be a Swede? I just KNOW one of my faithful knowledgable Sox fans here has the answer to this pressing question. Thanks in advance.

BackInBlack
10-13-2003, 03:45 PM
How ironic. I make this post, then check out the rest of subject threads being discussed in White Sox land. And there I find an entire thread dedicated to "Veeck, as in Wreck the Motion Picture." Nothing but good can come from this film. Bill Veeck was a revolutionary mind, and an inspiring story that will be enjoyed by baseball fans and non-baseball fans alike. Is it me or does it seem that there are more movies about the White Sox than just about any other team? Maybe the Spanks and that's about it.

TornLabrum
10-13-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by BackInBlack
I'm in the midst of reading Bill Veeck's autobiography. I knew the dude was revolutionary, but every time I turn another page, my jaw drops down even further. I suggest you check it out, it's called, "Veeck, as in Wreck."

Anyway, I got to wondering about the background of Bill Veeck's heritage. What kind of name is Veeck? Is it German or Irish... hell, it could be Asian for all I know.

He made a few references to the Nordic Gods and Valhalla and the like. Could he be a Swede? I just KNOW one of my faithful knowledgable Sox fans here has the answer to this pressing question. Thanks in advance.

I won't swear to it, but it looks and sounds Dutch.

Huisj
10-13-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I won't swear to it, but it looks and sounds Dutch.

I'd have to agree. Being dutch, being in the CRC, going to Calvin College, living in GR, I've seen lotsa dutch names. I'm not positive on it either, but I've always just kind of figured it was dutch. Lots of Dutch people settled in Chicago near the south side too (Roseland, South Holland) so it's not unlikely. What part of Chicago did he grow up in?

Lip Man 1
10-13-2003, 08:22 PM
Bill Veeck was of Jewish background.

Lip

TornLabrum
10-13-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

Probably a Dutch Jew!

TornLabrum
10-13-2003, 10:28 PM
A little known fact: William Veeck, Sr., before he was in Cubs management was a sports writer in Chicago. He wrote under the pseudonym "Bill Bailey."

At one point in his career he got fed up and left his paper, prompting the writing of the song, "Won't You Come Home Bill Bailey?"

VeeckAsInWreck
10-13-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

But he converted to christianity (I believe) when he met Mary Frances.

Religious beliefs aside, I am glad to hear that a motion picture of his life will be made. I always thought the book would make for a great film. Currently, I am working on a audio play based on Bill Veeck, I am just working out the kinks to avoid copyright suits.
As far as the movie goes, any word on who will play Veeck? :?:

Still though, God bless you wherever you are Bill! :gulp:

washington
10-14-2003, 10:33 AM
IIRC, Veeck wrote in the same book that when he first worked for the Flubs in the 1930s Wrigley ordered his employees to refer to Cub Park as "Beautiful Wrigley Field" whenever they referred to it, a PR spin so successful it still exists today.

TraderTim
10-14-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
A little known fact: William Veeck, Sr., before he was in Cubs management was a sports writer in Chicago. He wrote under the pseudonym "Bill Bailey."

At one point in his career he got fed up and left his paper, prompting the writing of the song, "Won't You Come Home Bill Bailey?"

Torn...

I assume you were jecting about the song being written about Veek. It was actually written in 1902 and most likely referred to a gentleman that was on the lower part of the economic ladder, so to speak..."bailey" referring to the courthouse.

Forkit!