PDA

View Full Version : Dark Days and the Sox Apocolypse

Hangar18
10-13-2003, 12:30 PM
Brian 26 and Lip pointed something out in another thread just now, and got me thinking. Weve come close, 2wice in my Lifetime, of almost LOSING our Sox. Though they were all different circumstances, the fact is certain events in this town will put us again at the organizational Fork In The Road. This isnt a "the sky is falling" thread, and others to say "no it isnt".
The Fact is, Things in baseball have "officially" changing/changed.
Will We Survive? Is the 3rd time really the charm?

poorme
10-13-2003, 12:36 PM
Jeez. I thought I was negative. I haven't heard any sound arguments as to why the Sox would move/disband.

fuzzy_patters
10-13-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Brian 26 and Lip pointed something out in another thread just now, and got me thinking. Weve come close, 2wice in my Lifetime, of almost LOSING our Sox. Though they were all different circumstances, the fact is certain events in this town will put us again at the organizational Fork In The Road. This isnt a "the sky is falling" thread, and others to say "no it isnt".
The Fact is, Things in baseball have "officially" changing/changed.
Will We Survive? Is the 3rd time really the charm?

It all depends on the status of baseball's anti-trust exemption. If things change for baseball on the political landscape, baseball teams will move more often, similar to the NFL. Chicago already lost the Cardinals, so it is not hard to see a day that the Sox would move, too.

Hangar18
10-13-2003, 12:38 PM
I could see a Move. within the next 20 yrs. Our Futures not in our hands

poorme
10-13-2003, 12:43 PM
Anything could happen in 20 years. I don't worry about things that might happen in 20 years.

thepaulbowski
10-13-2003, 12:43 PM
The Sox aren't going anywhere, and the Sox will be fine. The end of world is not here, nor is it around the corner.

Sounds like you need to take some pills and calm down. :D:
Or maybe a few more :gulp:

thepaulbowski
10-13-2003, 12:44 PM
I could see a Move. within the next 20 yrs. Our Futures not in our hands

I could be dead in 20 years, I'm not going to sit here and worry about it, though. Nobody can control the future, only God can do that and I don't think he's too worried about baseball.

poorme
10-13-2003, 12:45 PM
I could see a huge Sox revival once Uncle Jerry keels over.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-13-2003, 12:46 PM
The Sox have come close to moving MORE than just three times.

1969 (Milwaukee), 1975 (Seattle), 1979 (Denver), and 1988 (St. Petersburg) are the four confirmed occasions that I'm aware of. Rumors have circulated for other years in between, too.

Somehow the sound of "five is a charm" just doesn't have the same panache.

:smile:

oheeoh...magglio
10-13-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
Nobody can control the future, only God can do that and I don't think he's too worried about baseball.

Clearly he's not, or the Cubs would have lost by now.
:D:

Hangar18
10-13-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by poorme
I could see a huge Sox revival once Uncle Jerry keels over.

Now that would be something that could turn us around from
the Brink. Lets face the facts, the media is about to Bury Us.

fuzzy_patters
10-13-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by oheeoh...magglio
Clearly he's not, or the Cubs would have lost by now.
:D:

God likes to tease the Cubs. See 1984 for further details.

oheeoh...magglio
10-13-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
God likes to tease the Cubs. See 1984 for further details.

This is apparently one heck of a tease, considering the messiah and we good wood are pitching games 6 and 7.

soxnut
10-13-2003, 01:03 PM
I'm not worried. The tv market is too good here. And we have a bunch of bandwagon jumpers right now anyway. As soon as the Sox win. they'll come our way too. Just look at the Bulls. And, as for the Cubs..they have nowhere to go but down. You can't fit anymore people into that ballpark...are they going to get that many more people on a freezing day in April or May than they do now?.............they already have a good following on tv and radio....are they going to get that many more people watching and listening??

Are all of the die-hard Sox fans going to stop watching the Sox?? We're in ther stage of remodeling the ballpark and the neighborhood around it...WE have nowhere to go but up.

"I'm convinced they're going to leave. The real movers and shakers of this town don't care if they go or not. Chicago is toally happy with the Bears, the Cubs and Michael Jordan. It's just a changing world. It's another time."------Mary Frances Veeck---Sports Illustrated, May 30, 1988. hmm......... :smile:

washington
10-13-2003, 01:03 PM
20 years from now Reinsdorf will almost certainly not be running the Sox. It's possible that whomever he sells to before then will realize that having a major league team in the nation's second-largest market represents a great opportunity to make $$$. And do things that Reinsdorf won't, like market the team to the public and hang on to good players.

soxnut
10-13-2003, 01:08 PM
I think a good example to look at might be in the NBA...........The Lakers and the Clippers....I mean come on...have the Clippers ever been any good, and what they have to compete with?? :(:

Hangar18
10-13-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
I think a good example to look at might be in the NBA...........The Lakers and the Clippers....I mean come on...have the Clippers ever been any good, and what they have to compete with?? :(:

that might not be a good example. Lets take away the Championships, and just base it on having good Won Lost Records shall we? Lakers and Clippers. The Clippers would be the NBA version of the Cubs. bad play, mediocre record. But Imagine if THE CLLIPPERS got all the attention, all the hoopla? The Lakers are Hyped, and COvered, and Drooled over in L.A. because they won, and won a lot. THe Cubs, are drooled over and covered, and Hyped for .............Losing?

somethings not right here ....... :(:

thepaulbowski
10-13-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by soxnut

And the Clippers are one of the most successfull (money making wise) operations in the NBA.

soxnut
10-13-2003, 04:09 PM
that might not be a good example. Lets take away the Championships, and just base it on having good Won Lost Records shall we? Lakers and Clippers. The Clippers would be the NBA version of the Cubs. bad play, mediocre record. But Imagine if THE CLLIPPERS got all the attention, all the hoopla? The Lakers are Hyped, and COvered, and Drooled over in L.A. because they won, and won a lot. THe Cubs, are drooled over and covered, and Hyped for .............Losing?

somethings not right here ....... :(:

What I meant was........that for all the attention the Lakers get......the Clippers are still hanging around :smile:

oheeoh...magglio
10-13-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
And the Clippers are one of the most successfull (money making wise) operations in the NBA.

Yes, they are, but I'm guessing most fans (including me) stand by the opinion that WHO CARES what the team does moneywise, all that matters is wins and losses.

soxruleEP
10-14-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
It all depends on the status of baseball's anti-trust exemption. If things change for baseball on the political landscape, baseball teams will move more often, similar to the NFL. Chicago already lost the Cardinals, so it is not hard to see a day that the Sox would move, too.

I trust you are referring to the FOOTBALL Cardinals. The baseball Cardinals have never had anything to do with Chicago.

The American League is not going to move out of Chicago. The NL can't even find a place to move the Expos.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-14-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by soxruleEP
I trust you are referring to the FOOTBALL Cardinals. The baseball Cardinals have never had anything to do with Chicago.

The American League is not going to move out of Chicago. The NL can't even find a place to move the Expos.

I agree. Baseball's anti-trust exemption HURTS baseball in the largest markets--not help it.

The money to be made running a baseball team in the largest markets easily outstrips what can be made in the smaller markets. The local TV and radio dollars alone far outstrip whatever illusory "losses" you could identify from splitting the market with a crosstown rival. The anti-trust exemption protects "horse**** towns" (Charlie Finley's words) like Kansas City from losing their teams.

Chicago's suburbs could EASILY support a third team. Metro NYC could easily support at least two more teams. California could support two or more teams, too. Teams stuck in ****ty little markets like Montreal, Kansas City, St. Pete, Pittsburgh, etcetera would be looking to move--or extorting even more money from local yokels begging them to stay.

Instead we have sadsacks like Jerry Reinsdorf who whine and bitch non-stop 22 years now about how they can't compete even though they've already got:

1. fat TV and radio deal
2. brand-new stadium built for free
3. sweetheart lease
4. 100+ Diamond Suites
5. Equity interest in an investment that has compounded 10-fold in value.

REINSDORF WILL NEVER COMPETE. As long as his only competition is the Flubs, he never will. He makes a profit for himself in Chicago far greater than he could in any other available market.

Get a clue people. Reinsdorf's WORST NIGHTMARE is not a Flubbie championship. His worst nightmare is another team in the suburbs raking in the cash and sticking the Sox in a distant #3 for popularity in Chicago. If it happened, he would sell the Sox in a New York minute-- and receive a generous profit, too.

The new Sox owner would get serious about competing in Chicago-- something we haven't seen in this town for at least 50 years. It will never happen as long as Congress grants MLB an anti-trust exemption.